Author Topic: Is everyone (except me) riding LEL?  (Read 2879 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Is everyone (except me) riding LEL?
« on: 08 May, 2022, 06:56:38 pm »
OK, odd question ... but the reason being:

At the Highland 1000 there were almost none of the "regulars" that I've come to expect on long UK rides (although weirdly, everyone I rode with had actually done at least 1 such ride before! Oh, and a few "regulars" were helping at controls - thx  :thumbsup: :-*)

Is there another  - more attractive - 1000km+ ride this year, or is everyone focusing their year around LEL?

(it's rather nice to have bagged a BRM1000 in case I go for PBP again in '23, I think that puts me on equal footing with the hundreds of LEL completers if there's a bun-fight?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Is everyone (except me) riding LEL?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2022, 07:27:40 pm »
I did a 1000 in Oz over Easter during a family visit. A second one a fortnight later would have been fairly taxing as I had been quite lazy over winter. To be fair, the Fling went off my radar late last year for other reasons.

HK and I are not LELing (first time in a while) and were both aiming at our third PBP Audax instead but that got cancelled.

Medical issues have affected our plans quite a lot this year, which is never fun. We are having to roll with the punches a bit and our days of scheduling 3x1200s in a season without any drama might be drifting away. A few other old hands are finding that life gets in the way a little more post-covid or perhaps other aspects of life feel more important than riding a long way.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

felstedrider

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2022, 07:54:01 pm »
I didn’t really fancy LEL and haven’t ridden since 2013.

I’m doing a couple of scenic 600s, London Anglesey London and the ACME Grand.  Spreading my rides around geographically without any of them being ‘big’.  I have a big birthday next year and need something special to do.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2022, 08:11:28 pm »
- To me PBP not LEL is the pinnacle of Audax

- Just based on route alone LEL has never appealed to me (bit south of York is pretty dull - ok for a 600 at a push) 

- I live in Edinburgh so LEL logistics are a ballache

- Doing LEL really only gives a choice of start time rather than a place at PBP2023 (assuming my longest BRM ride is a 400 or 600 which it will be) and the difference is marginal.  Though we will no doubt see the usual pre PBP hysteria soon enough from folk who thpought they could get a place at PBP2023 without even a 200 BRM in 2022)

- It clashes with Semaine Federale this year so I cant event help on LEL (bar the route checking Ive already done)

If I do a 1000 this year it will be a DIY solo in late July when I'm fitter and I can make a "go/no go" decision closer to the start when weather conditions are better known

If I ever do LEL it will probably be after I retire, but its odds against I reckon - the UK isnt really my idea of an ideal country for a 1300/1500km event where some riding by definition has to be done midweek.  car culture im afraid.   

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2022, 10:08:06 pm »
LEL clashes with my 30th wedding anniversary, so despite the guaranteed place from previous volunteering, I won't be there.  I am going to take the Airnimal to Madeira the week after, but just a leisure jaunt up the mountain.

The trip I'm most looking forward to is a week based in St Jean Pied de Port at the western end of the French Pyrenees not to ride any events but just spend time on the bike without time limits.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2022, 10:12:20 pm »
Nah, not riding it either. Similar reasons to Mr Stonebridge, though I thoroughly enjoyed it as an event when I eventually rode in 2017.

Was eyeing up a Dutch 1000 but not sure that's going to happen now. Probably have a two week tour somewhere.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2022, 10:40:24 pm »
Having bailed on the Fling i've entered the ACME Grand, cos I want another 1000 and can only hope that the weathers not pish and that there are more food places to eat from before I get so knackered from not eating that I forget I need to...

I am not Riding LEL because basically it's riding home and despite there being another 40k before home, crossing that bridge is too much of a landmark.
I can cope with the Inverness 1200 riding within 20km of home on 250km though... I think.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2022, 06:57:17 am »
Nah, not riding it either. Similar reasons to Mr Stonebridge, though I thoroughly enjoyed it as an event when I eventually rode in 2017.

Was eyeing up a Dutch 1000 but not sure that's going to happen now. Probably have a two week tour somewhere.
Didn't you ride a 1000 Oop north in April? Maybe I imagined it ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2022, 09:39:19 am »
Going against the grain on this one - I am doing it, but more now or never.

I agree with nearly all the points mentioned, now travel restrictions have lifted I will go back to European rides with different countries and cultures which I find more interesting than stuck in the UK.

Everyone to their own.

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2022, 10:27:22 am »
I've just never really fancied ~400km of the Fens, and now there's a few other options of 1000km events from London or nearby eg the KWCC LLEL and Anglesey rides, and Bristol Glasgow Bristol.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2022, 12:30:18 pm »
I am riding LEL having done it the last two times. I think it's brilliant, the controls are amazing and it's great turning up and catching up with people.

Yes, there is some fenland riding, but it ain't too bad. And PBP is dull at the start too! The LEL scenery on the northern section is amazing.

It's also happening during school holidays, whereas other rides (eg the Italian ALPI4000) aren't an option for me because they are during term time.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2022, 02:51:49 pm »
Most of my audaxes are small scale x rated events with a local field.   LEL is a large scale international (55 countries represented in 17) audax with TLC at every control.  I too love LEL having ridden in 13, been part of the central organising team in 17, and now riding again in 22.  I love the contrast of the landscapes you ride through, mixed with the vibe and energy of the whole event.

« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2022, 03:21:13 pm »
I am riding LEL having done it the last two times. I think it's brilliant, the controls are amazing and it's great turning up and catching up with people.
Yes, there is some fenland riding, but it ain't too bad. And PBP is dull at the start too! The LEL scenery on the northern section is amazing.

It's also happening during school holidays, whereas other rides (eg the Italian ALPI4000) aren't an option for me because they are during term time.

Moffat and beyond is good .
Mrs. M not to keen on forrin travel at mo , so I have entered.
As it's longer than anything previously attempted, I am wondering whether to call time on ultra long rides if I finish within time.
(In other words, PBP may not be an option on my current stock of brownie points.)
If circumstances change then , of course,  I will deny any of this and claim acute randonesia .

« Reply #13 on: 09 May, 2022, 04:49:54 pm »
I rode it in 1997, no point overdoing things.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2022, 08:56:52 pm »
I rode in 2009 (as you will recall, Matt) and 2017, helping out at the Great Easton control in 2013. This year, I'll be at Brampton in a red t-shirt. IMO, while you don't get the en-route support and encouragement that PBP offers, the LEL route is much more challenging and rewarding than PBP and, since Danial, Roger and the crew took over, the organisation and controls are superior.

Sadly, health problems mean that I'm unlikely to ride either again, but it's a great to be involved and to help fellow randonneurs achieve their goals.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2022, 10:19:30 pm »
After crashing 20km from the start at the last LEL I'm determined to ride much further before crashing this time.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #16 on: 10 May, 2022, 08:33:05 am »
You'll doubtless be shocked to learn that I'm not riding it, Matt  ;)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #17 on: 10 May, 2022, 10:44:20 am »
For me, I am very shocked crinkles  :o 

I am helping this time; I rode the flatlander friendly version back in 2009 (when I was younger and fitter), but you knew that too, matt!
My neighbour who claimed interest failed to enter (this did not entirely surprise me as I've yet to see him actually on a bicycle, I think he just likes the idea.)

I am toying with mentioning that I am volunteering to my book club (for those of you who remember some of my arrow teams, it's a ladies book club, for ladies).  I think by now they have grasped I do the occasional bike ride. 

For the record, LEL suited me much better than PBP, though the rides are entirely different.  I may on my own have struggled with PBP, but was helped by being on the back of a longbarrow. 
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #18 on: 10 May, 2022, 11:35:50 am »
OK, odd question ... but the reason being:

At the Highland 1000 there were almost none of the "regulars" that I've come to expect on long UK rides (although weirdly, everyone I rode with had actually done at least 1 such ride before! Oh, and a few "regulars" were helping at controls - thx  :thumbsup: :-*)

Is there another  - more attractive - 1000km+ ride this year, or is everyone focusing their year around LEL?

(it's rather nice to have bagged a BRM1000 in case I go for PBP again in '23, I think that puts me on equal footing with the hundreds of LEL completers if there's a bun-fight?)

Be on the top rung and do BGB1600  :demon:

Unfortunately I don't have time to do a full route check within the 2weeks before and get back for the BP start and do any updates as needed so will just be checking the changes without getting into Scotland; so I'll be on the lower 400 rung eating all the dropped Paris-Brest buns  :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 10 May, 2022, 10:59:25 pm »

It just looked like a good ride, it's not all about the points/pre-qualification you know.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 11 May, 2022, 07:25:05 am »

It just looked like a good ride, it's not all about the points/pre-qualification you know.
Hear hear!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 15 May, 2022, 06:54:35 pm »
HK and I are not LELing (first time in a while) and were both aiming at our third PBP Audax instead but that got cancelled.

Medical issues have affected our plans quite a lot this year, which is never fun. We are having to roll with the punches a bit and our days of scheduling 3x1200s in a season without any drama might be drifting away. A few other old hands are finding that life gets in the way a little more post-covid or perhaps other aspects of life feel more important than riding a long way.
Sorry to hear that Dave. Hope you both manage some fun a-wheel here-and-there.

It definitely seems to be the case that "post-c**id" is affecting most people, and in a variety of ways. We live in odd times  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------