Author Topic: Sunseekers & Moonrakers 300 + 160 & 80km BPs - Saturday 11th June - BRISTOL  (Read 805 times)

Upcoming June events starting from Warmley, Bristol.

Sunseekers & Moonrakers 300 @ 06:00
Audax Club Parisien Centenary 300 BRM

This ISN'T the Moonrakers & Sunseekers 300 in reverse

A Mere Century 160 @ 08:00

I Rode the Road to Rode 80 @ 09:00

All routes start off on the Bristol and Bath Railway Path before heading south to Radstock to pick up the Colliers Way; another traffic free path. After Nunney Castle the 80km cuts across through Frome to Rode PO for tea and cake where Tony H will kindly be stamping cards. from here it rejoins the 160 route.

The other routes continue south to Stourton Farm Shop for their first control and some fine local produce to fuel you for the next part. The two routes split shortly after with the 160 passing through Mere on its way to Shaftesbury an then Zig-Zag Hill after; one of Simon Warrens top 100 climbs. From the top on the edge of Cranbourne Chase you can see The Needles on a clear day! It then plunges back down into the Nadder Valley before over to the Wylye and Ginny's Cafe @ Boyton for afternoon tea. Make your way back up the valley on quite lanes to Rode where the 80 rejoins. Through the 2Tunnels into Bath and back to the finish on the Bristol and Bath Railway Path.

In the meantime the Sunseekers are still heading south, hopefully drenched in warm summer rays, all the way to Lulworth Cove to grab an ice cream or two. Across the Isle of Purbeck passing Corfe Castle  to Poole Harbour Ferry, then cruise past Sunseekers HQ. On the return leg enjoy the afternoon sun on Cranbourne Chase as you also make your way to Ginny's who will be open into the evening for you. Then Salisbury Plain beckons as you head to Devizes and its Moonrakers; it's a full moon on the following Tuesday so the evening light should be good for the final push north before heading back to the finish.

The 300 does have some gravel in places: the NCN on Rempstone Heath (short - most is metalled); old railway exiting Poole; byway on Cranbourne Chase; byway atop Roundway Hill. All these are a good surface. Alternatives to all will be given.

Hopefully you will all have a good day out in what should be a near-perfect weather. Sadly I have just had to cancel my place on the 300, which I was very much looking forward to, due to a virus. Looking like a very-well planned route and event.

Hopefully you will all have a good day out in what should be a near-perfect weather. Sadly I have just had to cancel my place on the 300, which I was very much looking forward to, due to a virus. Looking like a very-well planned route and event.

Thanks drgannet. By all accounts it was a cracking day if not a bit windy. GWS