Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 109966 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I just found my old Cycling Proficiency certificate.
Gosh 61 years ago this week.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
And are you still proficient?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Help me!
Hell yeah!

Basil

• Help me!
And for those wondering.  Obviously one could take the proficiency test at aged 3 in those days.  O:-)

And for those wondering.  Obviously one could take the proficiency test at aged 3 in those days.  O:-)

Nice try Grandad, you ain't fooling us with that.

Has the little one arrived yet, you can update the other thread if you prefer

Basil

• Help me!

Has the little one arrived yet, you can update the other thread if you prefer

Not yet. 2 days before assumed due date still

Cudzoziemiec

I saw one of the yellow Yo! hire bikes yesterday, a couple of years after they were all supposedly withdrawn. It appeared to belong to, or be in use by,* one of the homeless people who sit outside the little Sainsbury's. It also appeared to have been fished out of the docks.

*Presumably in legal terms it still belongs to the Yo! people but I don't suppose they'll want it back.

What are Genesis up to? Building frames like a Boss. Loadsa bosses actually.

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/framesets

Cudzoziemiec

Bosses are useful. I was wondering when frames started being sold with seat posts and stems, but looking at the specs, it seems those are 'for illustration only'.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's what they used to use before they invented cable ties.

Cudzoziemiec

Which leads to the obvious question, when was the first recorded instance of a cable tie being used to hold an elaborate hairdo in place? I'll be mightily disappointed if someone otp hasn't done it.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
I became a bikeabilty trainer with Cycling Scotland (after a 4 day course) today :)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I became a bikeabilty trainer with Cycling Scotland (after a 4 day course) today :)

:thumbsup:

I became a bikeabilty trainer with Cycling Scotland (after a 4 day course) today :-)
Well done. I have seen for myself the joyful launch of youngsters and indeed elder folk on their bikes after a bikeability session as our Sustrans guy at the time was a Bikeability bod.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

Today was "LBS day". One of those things it might have made more sense to publicise before the event not after, but it probably doesn't make much difference.
https://road.cc/content/news/local-bike-shop-day-2023-300935

Cudzoziemiec

Someone has decided to ride the Hellenic Mountain Race on a cargo bike.

I decided to put a challenge in the already challenging inaugural edition of the HMR, and opted to do it on a Ten:07 Unicorn Cargo Bike. I believe that cargo bikes are the missing link between cars and bikes and if I manage to pull this out, I hope there will be more people going for cargos rather than second or third cars. This bike right here is transfrankenstein’ed with a few parts from my fully, like the whole 29″ rear wheel (which fit snuggly in the 28″ frame), shifting system and cockpit. Other than that it’s the stock model, without the fenders and I believe the kickstand will remain home as well. The bike already had a full SON lightning system on it. Oh, and I’ve upped the discs to 180. I really think that there are not many mountain cargos with TT bars running around with a purpose.
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2023-hellenic-mountain-race-rigs/

I am going up the Smoke for a test ride of a Tern GSD next Tuesday.  ;D

I am going up the Smoke for a test ride of a Tern GSD next Tuesday.  ;D
A most excellent test riding session on four bikes and four different gear options, although I am only interested in hub geared and belt drive systems so I had to mix and match to test all the bits.

My Edge tour has borkened.  :'( After a long(ish) service, 6 years I think, the on/off button has disintegrated, and although it's no longer weather proof it can still be turned on/off with a dexterous digit and suitably pointy nail to shove in its innards to probe the switch.

I "stole" my wife's bike today. As usual she only contacts me during the day if I need to do something. I get a message saying she'd snapped key in bike lock. Was outside school which thankfully is 2 minutes from a mate who has tools so skived off work a bit early, picked up a set of bolt cutters and an battery angle grinder and went for bike

The lock was never something I'd trust with a decent bike but was maybe 20mm thick, turned out about 15mm of that was the rubber coating. The cutters went through like a lie through Boris johnsons lips

Hardest part was dismantling to get in back of colleagues fiesta van as she'd borrowed my work transit to do some deliveries that wouldn't fit in her van.

Cudzoziemiec

Musing on gearing: I've just been reading about the Giro.
Judging by yesterday’s finale – which saw Roglič surge past Thomas at the death to chip three seconds off the Welshman’s lead – the Jumbo-Visma rider’s Cervélo R5’s rear cassette has been swapped out for SRAM’s XPLR XG-1271, part of a gravel and off-road oriented subdivision of the brand’s top-tier Red groupset, which offers 10-44t gearing at the back.

The gravel cassette is 1x compatible only, forcing Roglič to opt for a single chainring up front, leaving him with the option of anywhere between 38t and 46t. While it’s not yet been confirmed what size of front ring the Slovenian has opted for, most onlookers have concluded that it should be around 44t.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/primoz-roglic-uses-gravel-gearing-decisive-giro-tt-301511

They then discuss the advantages of this set-up in terms of chainline, aerodynamics, yada yoda, but what struck me was the ratio. That's a bottom gear of 44 x 44, 1:1, about 27". For a superbly fit, massively powerful athlete at the peak of his performance, riding a bike that weighs less than a discarded inner tube. And carrying no luggage, bar a water bottle, if you can even call that luggage. The steepest parts of the climb reach 22%, which is very steep, but in most parts of the world you don't have to go far to find a hill of similar gradient. So why don't road bikes as sold to the general public come with such gearing as standard? It would be helpful.

Deposit paid, and I should be collecting a sage green Tern GSD S00 Gen2 in about a fortnight.  8)

So having obtained a Bobbin shopper, I'm thinking of converting the bike to a mini velo style bike, with gravel bars and a 3 speed bar end shifter.  Now trying to source tyres...

Oh and the standard front rack.  Anyone know of any for sale?

So found a moulton f frame on facebook and due to a plan change I can't collect this afternoon/evening.... as I am all about the small wheels now ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I thought Headbangersaurus belgicae was planning on retiring at the end of last season, which just goes to show something although I'm sure I don’t know what.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime