Poll

What should Wiggo focus his efforts on next year?

Tour de France
30 (76.9%)
Olympics (Track)
0 (0%)
Olympics (Road)
0 (0%)
TdF + Olympics (Track)
2 (5.1%)
TdF + Olympics (Road)
5 (12.8%)
Giro + Olympics (Track or Road)
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Tour vs Olympics  (Read 4899 times)

Re: Tour vs Olympics
« Reply #25 on: 27 July, 2011, 08:06:49 am »
I suppose the decision would have made itself based on his position had he completed this year's tour.

What about other riders? I reckon Thomas should stick with the tour too. Will Sky hold back Dowsett a bit longer? He would be an obvious one to go for Olympic TT...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27 on: 27 July, 2011, 09:24:00 am »
So he wants to do the lot?!!  I reckon he should do the Giro too for good measure  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #28 on: 27 July, 2011, 09:43:39 am »
Yeah, is he still on drugs for his collar bone?

He's nuts if he thinks he can do all that. Either that or all pro cyclists lie about how hard the TDF is.
a great mind thinks alike

citoyen

« Reply #29 on: 27 July, 2011, 10:29:36 am »
Sounds like a clear indication that the Tour is his priority but he's making himself available for the Olympics as a token gesture, and if he had to choose between the Tour and the Team Pursuit, he'd choose the Tour. The Olympic Time Trial is probably a reasonable post-Tour target.

d.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30 on: 27 July, 2011, 11:50:24 am »
I believe Wiggo was considering the olympic road TT, wasn't he?  This would seem to suit him better and is also four days after the road race, on August 1st rather than July 28th.  Or remind me, is there only one competitor allowed from each country and has David Millar bagged that spot?

The results from Beijing suggests that up to two riders per nation are allowed in the ITT.  Millar has a life ban from the BOC, so he won't be playing.  The road race allowed up to five riders per country in 2008.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #31 on: 27 July, 2011, 01:24:29 pm »
"@bradwiggins 1 year to go to London 2012, but more importantly 11months to go the 2012 TDF!"

« Reply #32 on: 27 July, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »
Quote from: The Torygraph
It is a punishing schedule. The Tour begins in Liege on June 30 and finishes on July 22. He would ride for gold in the road time-trial on Aug 1, with qualifying in the team pursuit — an event in which Wiggins won gold in Beijing — beginning in the velodrome on Aug 2.

As Britain’s road time-trial participant, Wiggins would also be required to compete in the road race, which takes place on July 28.

If Wiggo rides a full TdF, the Olympic road race, the ITT, and the the team pursuit, it could go two ways.

He gives it his all in the road events, and ends up "overcooked" on the track, which could cost the pursuit team quite dearly. The worst case scenario of the pursuit team failing to make the knock-out stage will cause a bigger shitstorm than the 2008 Madison race ever did.

Or...

He slightly underperforms on the road to save himself for the track - in which case he might just as well have not bothered with the road events.

It sounds like Wiggo's bruised ego is writing a cheque that could bounce come next summer.  :-\
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #33 on: 27 July, 2011, 03:31:28 pm »
I disagree. He will have some excellent racing miles in his legs and could be at peak performance for a short, intense effort such as a TP or ITT.
Seeing Cav on the end of a GB train (and the only people likely to be able to match that would be the USA or AUS, maybe GER) for the RR would be quite awesome.

The worlds this year will be interesting.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #34 on: 27 July, 2011, 04:17:33 pm »
I disagree. He will have some excellent racing miles in his legs and could be at peak performance for a short, intense effort such as a TP or ITT.

Quite. In July 1996 Chris Boardman finished the Tour de France. A month later he won the world pusuit title with an astonishing 4:11.114, and a few days after that he broke the world hour record.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #35 on: 27 July, 2011, 07:45:23 pm »
Come off it, the Olympics is of zero importance as far as pro cycling is concerned.