Author Topic: New keyboard for laptop  (Read 1799 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
New keyboard for laptop
« on: 15 June, 2009, 11:25:34 am »
The 'g', 'i', 'n' and 't' keys have broken on the keyboard of my laptop (it's a Toshiba Satellite Pro L10) and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other keys went the same way. They still works, but the actually buttons are now just resting on the keyboard rather than being clipped on (if that makes sense) and it isn't ideal. A quick hunt on the 'net suggests I could get a replacement for £25 or so, which is fine. However, has anyone tried replacing a laptop keyboard? I'm scared I'll make a hash of the job, make the laptop unusable and then have to get someone to fix it for me.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: New keyboard for laptop
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2009, 11:46:03 am »
I have disassembled several laptops in my time. They're a bugger to get apart as sometimes fixings are hidden, requiring removal of something else first. Trouble is, without a service manual you don't really know where to start! Also, there's a myriad of different screw sizes.

That said, I would say give it a go. It's not impossible but it will take time and patience! Start with the obvious things like the screws in the base and under the HDD and optical drive housings. If something is still held and there's no obvious screw then it's a clip. Be careful with these as it can be easy to break (the Satellite, IIRC, is a budget laptop so there will be lots of plastic).

Note: screws are phillips, not pozi. You may also need Torx.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2009, 02:02:20 pm »
It should be possible to find and download a manual for a small fee.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2009, 02:06:20 pm »
Have a hunt around on the net for the service manual before you start.  Its not usually obvious how a laptop comes apart.  The service manual will show you this.  The major danger with this sort of thing is breaking the plastic covers trying to get the thing apart the wrong way.

The connector for the keyboard is usually straightforward.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2009, 02:21:52 pm »
I've replaced keyboards, and various other things on laptops.  As others have said, take it slowly, and don't force anything.  If you can get a manual, or find someone on the web who has a page showing how to open things up, this could help immensely.

Some laptops can be absolute buggers to get into, you need to know the magic clips that you have to hold down to release something or other, which then lets you remove the whatsit...

Others have required half a dozen screws to be removed, and then they cleanly break into several bits.

The Toshiba's are common enough that someone probably has a description on how to disassemble them.

Make sure you have a nice big clear space to do this on, invariably there will be lots of bits, some of them small and very easy to loose.
Actually, it is rocket science.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2009, 05:42:26 pm »
Hmm, it sounds probably I'll be OK getting the laptop to bits. Your comments, however, make me scared I'll break something in the disassembly process and never get it back together again. I think I'll wait until I've sorted out my PhD thesis first!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2009, 05:44:32 pm »
If having the machine out of action for a while is going to be a problem buy a cheap USB kb as a stop-gap.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2009, 11:26:22 am »
I had the same problem with my Dell work laptop  - must be working way too hard!
The Dell roving repairman replaced it in  5 minutes flat!  I guess he's done it before though.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2009, 10:39:46 pm »
Funnily enough I happened to have a spare L10 in front of me, and a Swiss Army knife, so I've just had a go. Pretty straight forward actually - 3 screws and a ribbon cable..

1) Open screen to vertical, and remove the 2 screws on the back of the hinges.

2) Push screen over to horizontal/180 degrees/flat on its back, and prise out the panel between the On button and the 'Satellite Pro' logo. Lift it out off the hinges too, and remove.

3) Turn the whole thing over, and remove the recessed screw nearest the centre of the base. It's between the two screws which hold the slatted Memory lid down.

4) Turn it sunny side up again, and the keyboard will lift out. You might have to free the two outer lugs. There's a ribbon cable which is removed by lifting up the black plastic bar; it hinges along the edge of the white bar, and lifts up and away from the ribbon.

In the words of all Haynes manuals "reassembly is the reverse of dismantling"...

...so - ribbon in, hinge the black plastic down to clamp it; slide the keyboard back into the case; pop the front panel back on (sides in first, then squeeze down the middle); 2 screws back in the hinges, 1 recessed screw back through the Memory cover, and the job's a good 'un.

Pour yourself a celebratory GIN and TonIc...

« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2009, 11:04:57 pm »
Small blobs of blue-tac under the keys to stick them down to the sensors?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #10 on: 16 June, 2009, 11:30:38 pm »
liam_whippet, you're a star :thumbsup: I shall get onto the case of ordering a keyboard and sort it out when I've got some free time. Many thanks.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #11 on: 25 August, 2009, 11:43:52 am »
After ordering a keyboard from ebay, only to be told it was no longer in stock and then having to find another seller, I've finally gotten round it sorting out the laptop. And due to the hints from above, it was a painless processes. Cheers!