Author Topic: Network Help  (Read 1572 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Network Help
« on: 28 July, 2008, 03:31:14 pm »
I'm no network guru although I've dabbled a bit.

I'm on a Corporate WAN at work. I have a local Gateway which I presume is shared by everybody connected to the network from my office.

I've been given an IP address of a box to connect to. My colleagues from a different office can connect to it, but I can't. We can see each other's machines.

I've raised a case with the appropriate people who should be able help me get this resolved.

But in the mean time, what should I be looking at?

Thanks
Ed

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Network Help
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2008, 03:36:26 pm »
I would say your default gateway is incorrectly set up (either locally on your machine, or more likely the gateway device cannot route properly to the box you are trying to connect to)

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: Network Help
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2008, 03:41:23 pm »
But in the mean time, what should I be looking at?

The view out the window, some other work, yacf, etc?

I'd wait for the appropriate people to come and help fix it for you. They'll know far more about the setup that anyone here could ask about.

If you really want to have a go then the first thing to try is, from a command prompt window:-

tracert <ip_address_of_box>

Which *may* help to see if there is a valid route from your machine to the box in question. Or it may not.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."