Author Topic: Which cheap android tablet for Skype etc?  (Read 2045 times)

321up

• 59° N
Which cheap android tablet for Skype etc?
« on: 08 May, 2015, 08:30:52 am »
We have looked at the Skype app permissions and there is no way we want to install it on one of our phones, so we are thinking of getting a different device with for Skype and web browsing.  Any recommendations please?

Thanks.

Re: Which cheap android tablet for Skype etc?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2015, 08:38:34 am »
The app permissions are so it can use your contacts list and sync them - yes they seem a bit extreme but honestly if you are worried by them, don't ever use any browser and access the internet.

You don't *have* to let Skype crawl your contacts list. I don't, my Skype contacts are kept separate. When you open the app it asks permission to import your contacts but you can opt out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2015, 08:51:42 am »
The app permissions are so it can use your contacts list and sync them - yes they seem a bit extreme but honestly if you are worried by them, don't ever use any browser and access the internet.

You don't *have* to let Skype crawl your contacts list. I don't, my Skype contacts are kept separate. When you open the app it asks permission to import your contacts but you can opt out.

We are also concerned about the impact on battery life, systerm resources, and system stability on the phone.  The Skype app will start automatically at boot.  Better to have Skype on a separate device where it can't mess around with other accounts and a tablet will also give us a bigger screen for web browsing.

Is it possible to setup different users on android tablets?  Not a major issue, but it might be handy.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2015, 03:40:45 pm »
I have a TESCO Hudl2 as second tablet - out on the bike if it's lost, nicked or damaged it didn't cost much (with vouchers) and it does everything Android

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2015, 04:30:17 pm »
Use Google hangouts instead.  It's much better behaved than Skype.

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2015, 04:37:40 pm »
Use Google hangouts instead.  It's much better behaved than Skype.
Hangouts . . .

I find them far less controllable than skype. With hangouts, you don't have any choice about letting it skim your contacts list.

At least with Skype you can keep them completely separate.

Skype in the background doesn't hammer battery life much. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't start up automatically anyway (I'm on a nexus).
My daughter has a kindle fire, she took that cycle touring for a week, watched movies on it most nights. It has Skype on it. She didn't have a battery life problem.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2015, 05:44:20 pm »
We were made to use "hangouts" at the BigCo as The Boss was usually in a different building thirty miles away.  Which meant gratuitous use of headsets which make you look like a div.

#creepingbigbrother
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »
I have a TESCO Hudl2 as second tablet - out on the bike if it's lost, nicked or damaged it didn't cost much (with vouchers) and it does everything Android

Rob
Superb machines, the only niggle is that some/most of them had a bug which meant they had to be switched off to charge effectively. Otherwise, they're absolutely fantastic value. My wife bought one on my recommendation (with the £40 keyboard cover) and she's very happy with it. Or so I infer from the huge amount of time she spends staring at it. :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2015, 07:27:52 am »
the only niggle is that some/most of them had a bug which meant they had to be switched off to charge effectively.

We bought a Hudl2, thanks for the tip, I've not noticed that problem yet.  It works as required for Skype, but C. still prefers using her smartphone for browsing at the moment due to 'gesture control' being out of control - will probably be ok once we figure out what the gestures are so we can avoid unintended actions.

We have noticed that the Hudl2 requires a stronger wifi signal compared to our laptops and it's a bit marginal in the kitchen (another reason we've not used it much yet).