Author Topic: 'The Flatlands' 600km 13/14th September 2014  (Read 98514 times)

Re: New 600km: 'The Flatlands' 7th/8th September
« Reply #150 on: 02 September, 2013, 04:07:52 pm »
I pretty well took August off too, and I took more than 6 hours to do a flat 110 yesterday (including cake stop).  Maybe I need to work back up to a 600km, in 4 weeks!

« Reply #151 on: 02 September, 2013, 05:21:15 pm »
I went out for another 200k ride today. The return 60 miles from the Norfolk coast was in a nasty headwind the whole way. If the wind is high and north or south direction this weekend god help us all. For a lone ride facing a headwind all the way north you possibly would have no buffer to sleep.

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #152 on: 02 September, 2013, 06:11:51 pm »
I managed 9 hours for the midlands forests 200 yesterday, out the front and on my own for most of it. 3 stops well 4 if you include the official check which was packed and stickers etc nowhere to be found, so pretty happy with that.
I agree with the comments about the wind, it was pretty horrid out there on the way back yesterday.

I am going to look at either finding premier inn or similar in Lincoln or pressing on and sleeping in a location I know in sleaford, however the breakfast options in sleaford might be limited.

« Reply #153 on: 02 September, 2013, 06:42:29 pm »
I'm going to go for the 'make it up as I go along' option, so not booking anywhere just in case I'm able to get much further on the Saturday...ideal for me would be to get to Goole by 7pm and get at least another 200k in before dawn, then have breakfast & snooze in daylight if I need to before doing a steady 100k to the finish...we'll see :D.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #154 on: 03 September, 2013, 12:57:15 pm »
Is the helpers ride still going ahead on the 14th? Unfortunately I'm not going to make it this weekend due to Mrs C.'s work commitments. :-\

« Reply #155 on: 03 September, 2013, 05:01:21 pm »
If there is no rain in the forecast(fingers crossed) I may just stealth camp it. I can not see prebooking a place. This is my first 600K and I do not know where I'll be when I decide to sleep. Do people usually carry a Therm-a-rest and light weight sleeping bag on these things? Honestly if it is not raining I think I'll be so tired I could sleep anywhere.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #156 on: 03 September, 2013, 05:33:04 pm »
Is the helpers ride still going ahead on the 14th? Unfortunately I'm not going to make it this weekend due to Mrs C.'s work commitments. :-\
Oaky and possibly A.N.Other [notp] will be riding on 14th. I can get cards to Oaky tomorrow.

If there is no rain in the forecast(fingers crossed) I may just stealth camp it. I can not see prebooking a place. This is my first 600K and I do not know where I'll be when I decide to sleep. Do people usually carry a Therm-a-rest and light weight sleeping bag on these things? Honestly if it is not raining I think I'll be so tired I could sleep anywhere.

Canny Audaxers can usually find somewhere dry [bus shelter, church porch etc] - I normally just carry a bit of polythere sheet in case the ground is damp/mucky [and wear all my spare clothes, hat, gloves, waterproof if it's cold], but I got a compact bivi-bag cheap in the Mountain Warehouse sale recently, so will be trying that out. Sleep as late as possible, then rise with the sun and all will be well :thumbsup:

billyam998

« Reply #157 on: 03 September, 2013, 05:34:17 pm »
I am going to take as very light sleeping bag, I know an ideal place in Sleaford to get my head down, although this may be a little too far.
Forecast not looking too clever at the moment, I might bail if it gets any worse I don't fancy 40 hours in the rain.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #158 on: 03 September, 2013, 09:15:28 pm »
Oaky and possibly A.N.Other [notp] will be riding on 14th. I can get cards to Oaky tomorrow.

I am indeed riding on the 14th.  Last time I heard, A.N.Other wasn't able to make the 14th either, although I did just check in with him via email in case that changed.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #159 on: 03 September, 2013, 09:31:21 pm »
I was thinking of booking a traveldoge, but looking at the prices, I'll bring my small sleeping bag and rough it instead.
Looking at this thread everyone seems to have the same idea. I'd better get a move on before all the bus shelters are occupied by sleeping AUKs!

« Reply #160 on: 03 September, 2013, 10:35:58 pm »
Sleeping bag liner & a survival bag for me....this is going to be fun ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Grampa

• Closest I'll get to being called a climber.
« Reply #161 on: 03 September, 2013, 10:45:32 pm »
A foil Mountain Space Bag, size of tennis ball and weighing nothing "Superwarm - Windproof - Waterproof - Reflects radar".
(So chopper will locate you if you never waken up.) 
Dee Swimmer, Dee Biker, Dee Walker

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #162 on: 03 September, 2013, 10:46:44 pm »
My plan is to follow Tomsk as far as I can, hauling lightweight sleeping bag and plastic survival bag in case of wetness and/or wind. The Audax hotels are going to have a busy night  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #163 on: 04 September, 2013, 07:32:23 am »
Premier Inn here. Full value ride with big breakfast, yum!

rob

« Reply #164 on: 04 September, 2013, 09:40:19 am »
I may be out.   I have not recovered at all well from Sunday's effort.   I'll give it another 24hrs.

Rob

« Reply #165 on: 04 September, 2013, 02:34:23 pm »
still dithering on whether to actually ride this, but I have booked a fully refundable premier inn room at Goole.  Unfortunately I just realised that (with the over distance of this ride) goole is only a few kilometres past halfway.  At my speed, that is still probably a midnight checkin, but further along would be better.  Unfortunately there don't seem to be any travelodges nearby and the other premier inns further along have no rooms.

I'm not great at sleeping on audaxes, so a bus shelter won't do me much good.  It's possible a hotel room won't help me get more than a couple of hours.

Any alternatives along the route?

« Reply #166 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:23:17 pm »
I'm not great at sleeping on audaxes, so a bus shelter won't do me much good.  It's possible a hotel room won't help me get more than a couple of hours.
Any alternatives along the route?
Hotel Desperation at 400km.  ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #167 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:25:56 pm »
still dithering on whether to actually ride this, but I have booked a fully refundable premier inn room at Goole.  Unfortunately I just realised that (with the over distance of this ride) goole is only a few kilometres past halfway.  At my speed, that is still probably a midnight checkin, but further along would be better.

On my one and only 600 (with young bloomers) we stayed in the Premier Inn in Hull, we had a 6 hour kip.  It was bang on halfway and proved a good move as it effectively divided the ride into two 300s.  We arrived exactly on schedule at 2330, in time for a couple of cheeky pints   :D  I'm not a great sleeper either and surprised myself by getting some decent sleep.

Good luck to you and all the other riders.

bloomers100

« Reply #168 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:30:58 pm »
Ours is at Lincoln by 2 am hopefully, nice southerly forecast for Saturday.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #169 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:36:09 pm »
.... nice southerly forecast for Saturday.
And a not so nice southerly for Sunday!

Chris S

« Reply #170 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:37:28 pm »

You're going to be popular then :)

bloomers100

« Reply #171 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:39:14 pm »

You're a glass half empty kind of guy then?

« Reply #172 on: 04 September, 2013, 05:25:24 pm »
Selfish co-worker wants to have the barbecue at his home, so probably won't move it for me.  I've actually told him I'm not coming, but as he's been planning it for months, we've become good friends and he's resigned, I'm feeling bad about it.  Completely forgot about it when signing up for the ride.

Damn it! I've just found out that most of the team have also made their excuses, so only two are definitely going to this BBQ.  I think I am nearly obliged  to abandon this ride, and with it most of my hope for achieving an SR this season. 

(Though I do have two DIY's ready to go: a modified Severn Across from my front door, and one that I will call "Unfinished Business" from my door over the Humber bridge and back, following the LEL course.  But one of them on the 14th, and the other on 28th, after the equinox?)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #173 on: 04 September, 2013, 05:28:47 pm »

So....spend Saturday chosing your mobile windbreak for Sunday  :) - Lars, are you prepared to tow Team Essex Maidens?

billyam998

« Reply #174 on: 04 September, 2013, 07:19:33 pm »
I am tired of looking a the forecast, let's avvitt, I'll be at Dunmow on Friday night, are there any chippys/takeaways nearby?