Author Topic: 'The Flatlands' 600km 13/14th September 2014  (Read 98548 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: New 600km: 'The Flatlands' 7th/8th September
« Reply #250 on: 11 September, 2013, 03:45:52 pm »
Reading some of the above posts shows riders demonstrating truly audacious resourcefulness - no pampering by the W.I. in cosy village halls etc......

Flatlands 2014: provisional date 13th September, then temporarily moving to June as a PBP qualifier the following year. [Depends when other 600km qualifiers are and the ACP cut-off dates - may well make it a 'last chance' qualifier, as being x-rated it's less hassle with last-minute entries/cancellations etc]

rob

« Reply #251 on: 11 September, 2013, 04:16:17 pm »
Reading some of the above posts shows riders demonstrating truly audacious resourcefulness - no pampering by the W.I. in cosy village halls etc......

Flatlands 2014: provisional date 13th September, then temporarily moving to June as a PBP qualifier the following year. [Depends when other 600km qualifiers are and the ACP cut-off dates - may well make it a 'last chance' qualifier, as being x-rated it's less hassle with last-minute entries/cancellations etc]

Nice.   That works quite well for me next year.

*goes off to purchase the 2014 family calendar and a highlighter*

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #252 on: 11 September, 2013, 04:29:15 pm »

[Sigh]  Go on then, I think that we can safely assume I will be taking part.  I have already accepted that audaxing is going to be the mainstay of my cycling in 2014 and 2015 then I'm definitely retiring!

« Reply #253 on: 11 September, 2013, 07:48:34 pm »
Well Veloman does have a way with words "Do you like fish?" I guess I was a bit of a Klingon at first but honestly the tempo was high with that tailwind and I was in uncharted water. I clearly made up for in in stages 7&8 where i was up front the whole time. A THREE speed Brompton?....Bravo mate your one tough cyclist

« Reply #254 on: 11 September, 2013, 08:17:44 pm »
Well Veloman does have a way with words "Do you like fish?"

Is this 'the one in white' or 'the one from overseas'?  I think I know the answer and you witnessed my spectacular fall down the stairs in Wetherspoons!  (Ouch, I think I hid the pain quite well and elbow is still very swollen.)

I really enjoyed riding with you and was going to catch-up when we left Goole but decided to stay with Wilkyboy as it's much better riding with others at night as it is safer due to the greater number of lights. It was obvious you were a strong rider and showed it by finding all the holes and really rough stuff to ride!

Yes, THREE speed Brompton.  Amazing isn't it?  So if ever you start to feel weak, just think of what he has achieved on it this year.

Anyway, the comment was a funny tale and relates to what happens on the club-run and is normally aimed at me!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #255 on: 11 September, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »
Yes, THREE speed Brompton.  Amazing isn't it?  So if ever you start to feel weak, just think of what he has achieved on it this year.

Actually it's a six speed, which is a three-speed hub and two-speed derailleur: it's kind of like a mini-compact with lots of dual-lever gear changes.  It's still a bit of hard work, because the range between bottom and top is large – 36" to 108" – and so the gaps between gears are quite big: most of the ride was in 69", but the jump up to the next gear is 19" to 88" (and most quick groups ride in between these two gears for me).  When the going gets tougher or starts to go up then it's a 13" drop down to a rather spinny 56".  The three-speed Brompton uses closer ratios in the middle of the overall range of the six-speed, with smaller jumps between gears, so for flat riding like Flatlands it would be easier to ride, but doesn't have the low or high range for hills.

By comparison, most compact chainsets on full-size bikes jump a mere 4-6" between gears across the range, with maybe a 9" jump to the smallest cog while on the biggest ring, so you can fiddle around to find just the right gear for the conditions, something you can't do on a Brompton, so it's definitely harder.

All that said, Tomsk rode fixed – which I think was borderline masochism – and he slept in a bus shelter!!   :thumbsup:

[ETA PS Sorry to be quoting gear inches like a pedant: you don't notice them when you've got lots to choose from; welcome to my world  :facepalm:]
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #256 on: 11 September, 2013, 09:32:51 pm »

All that said, Tomsk rode fixed – which I think was borderline masochism – and he slept in a bus shelter!!   :thumbsup:

Yebbut he is The Tomsk, innit!  :)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #257 on: 11 September, 2013, 09:39:26 pm »
Glad you and Wilkyboy made it round alright - those road surfaces must really have hurt on the Brompton's small wheels.

Yup, they did: hands buzzing like mad and claw-shaped.  Typing and writing are somewhat impaired, but getting better.  Posterior also feels like it has been thoroughly tenderised by the Brooks and odd uncomfortable tingles in the gentleman's parts  :-[
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #258 on: 11 September, 2013, 09:42:05 pm »
All that said, Tomsk rode fixed ........ and he slept in a bus shelter!!

He had to sleep in the shelter, no room in Reception at the Inn!

« Reply #259 on: 11 September, 2013, 10:56:05 pm »
lots of good write ups. Especially enjoyed Wilkyboys. I am planning on doing an Essex SR next year, so glad to hear there will be a new 'lite', version. :thumbsup:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #260 on: 12 September, 2013, 09:04:22 am »
This weekend Christophe and Oaky are doing the 'Helpers' Ride' starting at 07:00 Saturday. They may not need their spinnakers like we did last weekend......but have been fully briefed on the bus shelters of Lincolnshire  :thumbsup:

One gear each :D....

« Reply #261 on: 12 September, 2013, 09:16:16 am »
This weekend Christophe and Oaky are doing the 'Helpers' Ride' starting at 07:00 Saturday. They may not need their spinnakers like we did last weekend......but have been fully briefed on the bus shelters of Lincolnshire  :thumbsup:

One gear each :D....
Look Huggy the bus shelter we shared on our first night together.  :'(
Audax Hotel 3*

It's a lovely route and you only need one gear at a time!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #262 on: 12 September, 2013, 10:32:38 am »
Look Huggy the bus shelter we shared on our first night together.  :'(
Audax Hotel 3*

Interesting  - after spending a little time look for mine, I realised this could all be semi-automated: locate all bus stops along a gpx track, then display the streetview of them. This could be the perfect audax app - 'show me pictures of all the bus stops in the next 20km'...
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Oscar's dad

« Reply #263 on: 12 September, 2013, 10:40:44 am »
We really are a weird bunch of people.  Who else would be this interested in bus shelters?  I was with some Flatlanders in the pub last night.  Guess what dominated the conversation?

I've yet to sleep in a bus shelter but really want to  ::-)

« Reply #264 on: 12 September, 2013, 10:52:44 am »
I've got a tentative entry in and will see how things are in the next couple of weeks.
My first 600 and audax and on fixed! What could possibly go wrong?  ::-)
My tentative entry turned into a proper entry and I did ride the Flatlands on fixed. In that previous couple of weeks I rode quite normally, which means that I didn't do any training for the ride and the longest I did ride was 140km. But I did ride every day, which is normal for me, although some days where quite short, 16-20km. Average distance was around 40km per day.

I set my Garmin Edge 605 display to the map screen and followed the GPX file for that particular section and let the pink highlight guide me or would have done if Tomsk hadn't been leading us  :thumbsup:. On the Edge I also had displayed average speed and distance to next turn. The average speed for the first four sections was in the high end of 25kmh after which is gradually declined to low 20kmh. I think overall the average speed, moving not including stops, was around 23kmh. 

I lost all track of time and distance on the ride very early on! I don't have a watch and rarely flipped the Edge over to read other data whilst moving. It was surprising to suddenly turn up at controls after X hours of riding. I think next time I'll add speed and time to the map screen as well.

If it wasn't for the other riders who used controls before me I would have failed, I kept forgetting to ask for receipts and the sales assistants would ask if I wanted one. It isn't something I normally do but near the end I remembered to ask for a receipt from the control point.

After 200ish km I started to produce huge quantities of gas, which was also painful as it rumbled around my intestines! After this I had to use every toilet I could find, which was a lot, and de gas. I think it was a combination of wheat based products and exercise that made the gas. Experimentation, around the time of hitting Sleaford, by eating less wheat, basically meant not eating the toast that came with breakfast, I felt more comfortable and less gas issued forth at the next and subsequent controls. I didn't want to fart on the bike as it wasn't just gas coming out all the time. ::-)

The Pompino was fine for most of the ride. It developed a knock on left pedal stroke for the fourth leg but vanished for the fifth!? ???  Pedal revolutions in the area of >122000 strokes.

I was okay for most of the ride too. I was getting occasional numbness in my hands, despite moving position frequently and shaking out and flexing the fingers/wrists, and some in my gentlemen area. My palms felt like they were on fire on the ride home! The worst effect was at 400ish km my right shoulder had spasms and eventually this moved up my neck as well. This eased off at controls but came back, feeling worse, as the riding progressed.

Currently my gentlemen area is back to normal. My left hand at the finger tips and the heel of the hand below the little and ring fingers is still numb but going into a pins and needles situation. A slight numbness of right index finger is gone. My big toes, at the tips, were numb but normal now. My right shoulder is getting better but feels like it gets goosebumps and then goes numb or it catches a nerve and makes a painful leap for freedom ignoring that it is attached to the rest of me! No Achilles tendon problems but legs were a bit stiff, gentle stretching is the key there.

I've been riding but only short distances, <20km, and I think my first proper ride will be this Sundays SEG ride for a gentle 90ish km.

Thanks all for company and special thanks to Tomsk for the excellent route and the wheel. Although I did a bit at the front too.

They leave a lot to be desired! But after 22 hours of riding it doesn't matter and won't kill you.
TopTip: Take something to go underneath you. I had a fleece bag liner and bivvy bag which was too thin for the concrete floor and the cold seeped through after 20 mins! Huggy had a thickish sleeping bag and seemed/sounded okay!

« Reply #265 on: 12 September, 2013, 11:52:45 am »

Oaky and I will be sharing a bus shelter on Saturday night  ;). It'll be my first time. I may look for a bit of grass nearby if it's not raining so Oaky can take the bench, I can try out my new bivvi and protect Oaky from the worst of my snoring!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #266 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:05:49 pm »
I'm very interested in bivvy experiences as I'm considering something similar.  Which bivvy did you get?

« Reply #267 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:11:47 pm »
I'm very interested in bivvy experiences as I'm considering something similar.  Which bivvy did you get?
I have an Alpkit Hunka XL. I think Huggy had an emergency, orange, bivvy.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #268 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:13:24 pm »

I may organise a bivvy show and tell in our garden in the not too distant future.  Beer and cake will be provided.

« Reply #269 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:16:15 pm »

Mine's also an Alpkit but I just went for the regular Hunka. Was a bit worried that it wasn't going to be big enough but plenty of room for my 6ft plus frame. Also bought a blow up pillow from the 99p shop for, erm 99p!
I can bring mine with me next time I go out and maybe you could try it out in a bus shelter somewhere. Or a pub beer garden.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #270 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:23:01 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #271 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:31:10 pm »

It was one of the most cold and miserable experiences I have ever had. Made me realise how bad being homeless can be, should really give some money to Shelter this xmas.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Oscar's dad

« Reply #272 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:41:18 pm »

It was one of the most cold and miserable experiences I have ever had. Made me realise how bad being homeless can be, should really give some money to Shelter this xmas.

A fair point.  Doing it for "fun" is one thing. Doing cos you've no choice is quite another.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #273 on: 12 September, 2013, 05:52:35 pm »

A fair point.  Doing it for "fun" is one thing. Doing cos you've no choice is quite another.

Damon Peacock, in one of his PBP films, describes the experience as being the closest you'll get to being a refugee, if you're lucky.

A bus shelter kip, much like 'head-on-the-table-in-a-24-hour-cafe' gives just enough to be able to keep going. Getting cold is a good reason to get up and get moving - time is miles  ;D. To get a decent sleep you'd have to carry a lot more stuff. I seem to recall reading about McNasty doing this with sleeping bag, mat, bivi/tarp etc on a round Britain multi-thousand km epic. I believe he targeted stations with heated waiting rooms where possible.....

« Reply #274 on: 12 September, 2013, 09:33:18 pm »

Try it in mid winter and you'll really know!

I've shared your sentiments very many times. The homeless often die young and I can easily understand why.