Author Topic: + size women want their own clothing range designed  (Read 50431 times)

+ size women want their own clothing range designed
« on: 14 August, 2010, 09:05:16 am »
Mrs G is watching BBC News and Madame Coupe is talking ( she appears American ) about + size clothes that are now required on the High Street for all the larger women out there.

There are lots of reasons why women are getting larger she said.....

Looking at the size of her neck she certainly needs a larger collar size than me.  All those chins.

But really, it would seem that the 'I'm fat and proud' movement is gaining momentum ( pardon the pun ) and the health benefits of not getting to this size are being ignored.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: + size women want their own clothing range designed
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:17:22 am »
I am a fat bugger.  There's plenty of clothes out there that fit me.

But what I would desparately like is more manufacturers to make different sleeve lengths.  Those of us who have a resemblance to the orangutan face great difficulty in finding sleeves long enough.   >:(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Rapples

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:21:24 am »
It's because you're undertall ;)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:22:57 am »
It's because you're undertall ;)

I'm 6'...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Rapples

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:25:20 am »
Sorry it was meant as a light hearted quip, the reference is from Garfield :-*

AllPosters.de – Der größte Poster- und Print-Shop der Welt!

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:27:07 am »
With all due respect Grub, I would respond "there speaks someone who hasn't a weight problem".

I'm big/heavy/fat. I got bigger/heavier/fatter once I stopped racing on the bike - ther's evidence (mainly from Australia as it happens) that people who previously battered their bodies with training put weight on very easily once they slow down.

My point is; those of us of the larger sizes get fed up with shopping for clothes and having little or no choice. Why shouldn't larger women have choice? Maybe, if they feel better, they might feel more inclined to starve (diet?) to achieve societies required shape?

Apologies if this sounds like invective, but I'm starting to feel that the fatter people are becoming the new smokers - it's all our fault and we deserve to die etc.

Fi

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:40:49 am »
I don't think the health benefits of being slimmer are ignored in general, this is just marketing: see a gap in the market, produce what the customer wants and make money from them.  And larger ladies would like to dress as well as the smaller ladies, so why not.  Someone selling clothes in larger sizes ain't going to say "Buy our lovely clothes that will flatter your shape, but you really ought to lose weight."  That wouldn't get the punters through the door.

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:53:24 am »
With all due respect Grub, I would respond "there speaks someone who hasn't a weight problem".

I'm big/heavy/fat. I got bigger/heavier/fatter once I stopped racing on the bike - ther's evidence (mainly from Australia as it happens) that people who previously battered their bodies with training put weight on very easily once they slow down.

My point is; those of us of the larger sizes get fed up with shopping for clothes and having little or no choice. Why shouldn't larger women have choice? Maybe, if they feel better, they might feel more inclined to starve (diet?) to achieve societies required shape?

Apologies if this sounds like invective, but I'm starting to feel that the fatter people are becoming the new smokers - it's all our fault and we deserve to die etc.

GP,
Ha, welcome to my world.  I am made to feel fat as I am surrounded by skinny buggers.  Mrs G has 'no body fat' and both my sons are like her.  They all have various numbered packs for stomachs from the slightest amount of swimming training.  Both boys eat like there is no tomorrow and eat total crap a lot of the time.
Well, I have never had a visible pack of any number on my stomach, I look at food and put on weight and I have to seriously watch what I eat due to my diabetes ( that I reckon I've had since birth but it was not picked up until I came here in 1995 when it was starting to cause weight gain ).
So I am not really fat, it is just that I am not as thin as those I constantly see around me.
I suspect therefore that I have become a 'fatist' in my views due to my conditioning by those that I love, especially my boys, joking about my gut and lack of six pack.  :-\

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2010, 11:21:27 am »
Being Fat - The F-Word

Rejecting the notion of the flattering outfit | definatalie.com

Just for some extra reading...

Fat people need clothes too. Even if they're trying to lose weight, they still need clothes while they're fat. Believe me, you don't want to see us fat birds walking about naked.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2010, 11:41:55 am »
Those of us who have a resemblance to the orangutan face

A veil might be a better solution ;)

(sorry)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 14 August, 2010, 11:56:48 am »
Those who have met me will know I'm not H-Y-O-O-G-E.

I'm borderline overweight (BMI 25-26) on a medium to large frame.

Most women's 'extra-large' cycling is too small for my hips. I really don't think it's asking too much to want clothes to fit.

Nelly-The-Elephant,
Edgware

« Reply #11 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:14:52 pm »
For the first time in ages last night I treated us to a take away from the new Indian place that has opened in town.  I was careful to order only things that I could eat and checked to ensure they were not over loaded with sugar like some establishments I have visited in my past.  As I waited for my order to be brought out the lass before me, no more than 19 years of age left the shop with her order.  She had to turn sideways to walk out the door as she was too wide to walk out normally.  I expect she would enjoy a new range of clothing too as what she had painted on did seem all a bit tight. 

But, are we not just masking the issue here?

That professor bloke that is studying the kids says there is no such thing as big bones.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #12 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:25:14 pm »
Those who have met me will know I'm not H-Y-O-O-G-E.

I'm borderline overweight (BMI 25-26) on a medium to large frame.

Most women's 'extra-large' cycling is too small for my hips. I really don't think it's askig to much to want clothes to fit.

Nelly-The-Elephant,
Edgware
Women's cycling clothes are tiny, really tiny. XL comes in at around a standard 14. My waterproof jacket is a man's.

For the first time in ages last night I treated us to a take away from the new Indian place that has opened in town.  I was careful to order only things that I could eat and checked to ensure they were not over loaded with sugar like some establishments I have visited in my past.  As I waited for my order to be brought out the lass before me, no more than 19 years of age left the shop with her order.  She had to turn sideways to walk out the door as she was too wide to walk out normally.  I expect she would enjoy a new range of clothing too as what she had painted on did seem all a bit tight. 

But, are we not just masking the issue here?

That professor bloke that is studying the kids says there is no such thing as big bones.
Well, some people do have larger bones, larger frames than others, but when large bones are covered in a foot-deep layer of fat, it's not the bones that are the problem.

But what issue are we masking? That women are getting fatter? They still need clothes. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to live wrapped in a burlap sack until they reach a BMI of 25 or under. And what about the men? Is it ok for men to be obese but not women? Should men's clothing shops stop selling fat bloater sizes?

« Reply #13 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:35:50 pm »
No, both fat men and women need clothes, that is a no brainer.
It is not right to limit them to just the black smock range either.
The pull it over your head size and cover all type of thing.
They should have the choice of something more fitting if they like.

But one minute we hear about concerns about childhood obesity and how sizes are being made bigger to cater for them and what is this going to do to our future prosperity and well being, and the next minute we are now calling for a range of clothing to be made for the larger person to make them feel more comfortable.

So gradually we are accepting that people are getting fatter and are making changes to help them feel more comfortable and acceptable. 

My eldest is nearly 6 feet tall but his waist is only 30 inches.  He cannot fit into the age clothing that is now on offer as aside from the trousers being too short the waist is too big, still.  So we have to get him the next or the next next age up and he wears a belt to gather it all in.

I am not pointing the finger at the fat people and laughing or feeling sorry for them as such, I am just having a discussion on where I think the world is going re: sizes and wonder what everyone else thinks.

I enjoy discussions like this.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:37:08 pm »
Methinks RZ would find getting a minimum order from Owayo very difficult if only sizes S & M were on offer...

« Reply #15 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:39:16 pm »
Cycle clothing does appear to be on a shelf by itself when it comes to sizing though.
I think they chose the smallest skinniest Italian when they decided upon the size guides.
I am an XL in some things.  :P

wafflycat

« Reply #16 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:43:54 pm »
Thing is, what the fashion world calls 'plus size' is anything but. Marc Jacobs, the fashion designer who is doing a 'plus size' range is using a size 14 model. Size 14 is NOT overweight on an average height woman. Indeed size 14 works out at within the healthy weight range for the average height woman.

As someone who has battled with weight issues most of my adult life, to put it bluntly, it p*$$3s me off no-end that if you're overweight you're the new social pariahs, undoubtedly low on intelligence and lacking in self-control, etc. etc. I've had abuse shouted at me in the streets from total strangers just because I'm fat. I eat uber-healthily, I keep a food diary, I portion control everything, no added salt, skimmed milk only, very, very low-fat, no alcohol, no added sugar, no sugary drinks... and I am still obese. Unless I'm doing a mimimum of 200 miles a week on the bike and eating uber-healthily I put weight on. Consider that due to chronic knee injuries I'm off the bike long-term and right now, life for me is sh*t in the weight department. It is a constant battle and I cannot let my guard down at all. Even MrWC has remarked about how damned unfair it is that I have such a healthy lifestyle, do not eat cr@p and yet am significantly overweight.

And yes, fat people need clothes too. And why shouldn't I take some pride in my appearance just because I'm fat? I constantly battle to keep my weight under some semblance of control and it's damn difficult. Psychologically it's even more difficult when all there is on offer to wear in the shops is the equivalent of a paper bag over the head, blinds for the windows and locks for the doors so that no member of the public need be subjected to the horrific sight of you: a fat person, something less than worthy of human poltie contact.

Weight issues are complex - especially for women - as there are all sorts of *wrong* and *dangerous* messages sent out to us right from being kids to being older. There are health problems with being underweight, and underweight is the big message sent out in the media to females, espeecially young females. There's a lot of young women who are likely to have serious osteoporosis problems at increasingly early ages due to the fixation on dieting and retaining the figure of a child, even when an adult. It is NOT natural for a *woman* to look like a child with breasts.

As regards obesity, there's all sorts of complex issues around that., linked in to our societal rituals surrounding food, the industrialisation of food production and preparation, working lifestyles of women including long hours of employment, what goes into cheap food, and then there are medivcal issues to take into account too. Even Professor Robert Winston has acknowledged that medicine is only just beggining to scratch the surface of what is going on as regards obesity; that it is far more complex than calories in and calories out, but includes how the body deals with the calories in.

« Reply #17 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:44:50 pm »
Being Fat - The F-Word

Rejecting the notion of the flattering outfit | definatalie.com

Just for some extra reading...

Fat people need clothes too. Even if they're trying to lose weight, they still need clothes while they're fat. Believe me, you don't want to see us fat birds walking about naked.

The first one appeared to just be about anorexia - unless I didn't get it.
The second one is thought provoking.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:46:20 pm »
I am aware the 'big bones' business can be used as a smokescreen/excuse for FAT.
No amount of dieting will get my size 41 feet into size 37 shoes however and my hips are wide, even when unpadded.

« Reply #19 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:47:13 pm »
Waffles,

Just what I was after.  Well thought provoking, thank you  :-*

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #20 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:56:02 pm »

But one minute we hear about concerns about childhood obesity and how sizes are being made bigger to cater for them and what is this going to do to our future prosperity and well being, and the next minute we are now calling for a range of clothing to be made for the larger person to make them feel more comfortable.

So gradually we are accepting that people are getting fatter and are making changes to help them feel more comfortable and acceptable. 
I think the two things are different though. It would be lovely if everyone was a healthy size and weight, didn't smoke, took regular exercise, drank enough water, ate eight or nine portions of fruit and veg a day, had regular smear tests, had safe sex and all the rest of it. It would be great if everyone looked after themselves properly so that they did as much as they could to ensure they stayed fit and well (as much as can be within our own control at least) and able to work for the prosperity of this great nation.

But until that happy day comes, shouldn't fat people be able to wear things they like?

« Reply #21 on: 14 August, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »
Kirst,

Yep, as I said above, the fat people should be able to wear what they want.  I was not really arguing against that point but I was trying to figure out the reason for my angst that was linked to it.

I pay an arm and a leg for a fruit box to be delivered on Fridays.  We live in rural Wiltshire and although we have supermarkets in Marlborough and nearby Pewsey, the 'fresh' food is not as 'fresh' as that that comes in the fruit box.  It is also a local business and I support that and it saves on driving to the supermarket etc.  But the point I am making is this is over and above to try and make a difference. 

It costs an arm and a leg to pay for swimming club sessions and to drive them there etc.

In this society of ours, it is much easier and cheaper to be fat I reckon.  Fat food is also not just cheaper it also quite often tastes better than healthy food.

« Reply #22 on: 14 August, 2010, 01:03:48 pm »
One other thing that is interesting - that blog you linked to - by Natalie.
She has a lovely picture displayed on the right.
In that blog she says just wear what you want and be proud to be fat.
She now has her own range of t-shirt with a snazzy font saying 'fat' on the front.
And some stickers out saying "Does my fat arse look fat in this?"
But although she says it is cruel to force fat people to wear clothes to hide body imperfections, and it is wrong by the fat person to feel that way, she has not updated her photo as above to show what she looks like now.
Nope, she has not lost weight.

wafflycat

« Reply #23 on: 14 August, 2010, 01:07:52 pm »
Examples of the conflicting messages sent out to females..

America's Next Top Model star whose waist can be held in man's hand  | Mail Online

Botox boom as U.S teenagers receive 12,000 jabs in a year
 | Mail Online

Rihanna continues to shock with raunchy moves in front of young fans  | Mail Online

The larger woman: A quarter of women are size 18 or bigger  | Mail Online  (in this one, it refers to using size 12 models... for plus-size clothing.. no wonder we're screwed up about size/weight)

Jordan mania hits Plymouth as hundreds queue to meet Katie Price at book signing  | Mail Online
'Nuff sed. Jordan. Body of a child with breasts of an unmilked fresian...

No wonder we females get mentally and physically screwed up about body image (actual and perceived)

« Reply #24 on: 14 August, 2010, 01:12:04 pm »
Spot on waffles.

Fat isn't a feminist issue, being properly overweight is a medical issue and those arguing that we should just accept it are wrong. The reasons why people get like that in the first place are a political and feminist issue. The two things need separating.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.