Author Topic: "Superfoods"  (Read 2214 times)

"Superfoods"
« on: 13 March, 2013, 12:36:58 pm »
Do they really exist?

I'm querying substances like wheatgrass, sprouted seeds, spirulina etc.

Comments please.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: "Superfoods"
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2013, 01:04:03 pm »
Less unhealthy than junk foods; the rest depends on what you believe...

« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2013, 01:31:47 pm »
....or what you expect.

"Superfood" is journo/marketing speak. Sprouts a have B12, which is very useful for a vegan, but most are unlikely to notice if they don't eat them.  As long as you aren't paying out excess hard cash, believe anything you want.

AAO

« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2013, 03:53:22 pm »
Super Foods :
Eggs. Spinach. Turkey. Raisins. Almonds. Sardines + Dark Green Veg (in general) and Dark Coloured everything else organic.

+++ Spotted Dick/Jam Sponge and Custard  :thumbsup: 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2013, 03:54:58 pm »
It's just marketing speak, but some foods do contain a lot of vital nutrients.

Generally, eat more seeds, nuts, fruit and wholegrains (especially oats), and less meat, sugar and processed food, and you'll be just fine, without having to pay a premium for the latest fad.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2013, 04:40:18 pm »
Thanks for the comments. Much as I expected, and tn line with my opinions.

This came about because Mrs E met a loony who cured himself of ME by consuming a variety of superfoodrous substances.

I agree (in theory...) with Clarion about a varied diet.

« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2013, 05:07:51 pm »
Likely didn't have ME then.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

Andrew

« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2013, 05:43:35 pm »

I think that's the point.

Obviously, some producers/growers will talk that up but let's not get too cynical about it ;)

« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2013, 06:14:56 pm »
Likely didn't have ME then.

i agree; I suspect that it was self-diagnosed ;).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2013, 12:16:41 pm »
Every so often one particular food will be talked up as being absolutely indispensable to a healthy diet. That's clearly nonesense, whatever it is, you can find healthy people who do not eat it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »
Apparently, eating sufficient broccoli can protect you from the effects of the Daily Mail

« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2013, 01:26:59 pm »
Apparently, eating sufficient broccoli can protect you from the effects of the Daily Mail

Now this one is true. We have it several times a week; Castell Efrogwr is a D**** M*** free zone.  I often cook it with garlic to reduce the effects of Murdoch's gang, too. ;D

« Reply #12 on: 14 March, 2013, 04:15:22 pm »

Generally, eat more seeds, nuts, fruit and wholegrains (especially oats), and less meat, sugar and processed food, and you'll be just fine, without having to pay a premium for the latest fad.

Basically a hunter gatherer diet.

Strange as it may seem, when humans moved from hunting and gathering to farming, diet worsened and as a race we reduced in size.
Rust never sleeps

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2013, 01:59:49 pm »

Basically a hunter gatherer diet.

All of those things are also common in the diets of healthy farming communities (Mediterranean, much of Asia etc).

Strange as it may seem, when humans moved from hunting and gathering to farming, diet worsened

Initially, yes.  That's because the technology was inefficient, so the work was very physically punishing and the returns were not great (also the grain was not ground well enough, so eating the bread actually damaged your teeth); however, it offered the potential to avoid food shortages; hunter gatherers had very limited options for preserving food in any quantity and were very susceptible to exceptionally bad weather, droughts etc.  Things improved, however.  Farming communities around the Med developed very healthy diets indeed, with time.

Oh, and bollocks to "superfoods".  Particularly the whole anti-oxidant urban myth.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher