Author Topic: RAAM  (Read 8874 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: RAAM
« Reply #25 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:27:37 am »
If TG can raise the dosh I'm in for support...

I sort-of know the lass who won the women's solo class last year (her English is as bad as my French), and I note she's not playing this year.  There is probably a good reason for this.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #26 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:39:25 am »
Anne Woolridge also rode RAAM 2 or 3 years ago. She was eliminated after ending up in hospital after a crash, but still went on to finish, not very far outside the elimination time. Hers is the record for >50 year old women.
I've met her a few times helping (she handed me up a slice of melon once :smug:) and riding 24hr TTs and know that I have a few miles on her in a 24.
After Chris Hopkinson rode his RAAM, I've heard nothing of him since. It near enough killed him and he still looked rough about a month later riding the Mersey 24.
I wonder if the Royal Navy Marines Commandos fancy having a go? They have a very strong team of riders in the Mersey 24 and their fastest, Sean Childs, is a podium finisher. He looked very strong at the finish in 2009.

« Reply #27 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:49:53 am »
I have a plan for a European venture though (and I don't mean PBP) ;)

Race Across Europe?

I wonder if the Royal Navy Marines Commandos fancy having a go?

When RAAM management changed a couple of years ago, one of the things they said they'd be targeting is more military teams - presumably because apart from being hard as nails, they have the logistics experience and possibility of being supported by their services.

« Reply #28 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:58:35 am »
Hoppo did a little bit more riding in long distance TTs the year after (I remember him turning up at various race HQs in his RAAM-logoed van), but that was that. He'd had a crash a couple of years beforehand that'd compromised a hip joint, so he was cycling on borrowed time anyway.

He was a one for crashing. I think there were 2 Mersey 24s where he crashed. It hardly ever happens in a 24, as far as I know.

A few years ago I read a training blog from someone who finished. Essentially they nailed their training down to a 2-month (or more) block before the event. Didn't give up work, just rode 40 miles to work in the morning, +60 miles home in the evening, plus one long ride at the weekend. Relied on his wife to sort out all the other domestic duties in that time.

I certainly think it's possible to do it without giving up work, but only just. I expect that they didn't start their 2 month block from nothing and had some fitness.

« Reply #29 on: 03 June, 2011, 10:16:37 am »
I have a plan for a European venture though (and I don't mean PBP) ;)

Race Across Europe?

I've been rumbled.
Even if I can't enter it officially and have back up, I can try and follow it and try to keep within the time limits. A ferry to Rotterdam shouldn't cost too much. Then I'll need a few hotels on the way. I've just got a sat-nav and just need to learn how to use it better, so that would take care of the route. I can have 2 weeks from work, so that should be enough. A flight home won't cost too much either, or if it goes belly up, it shouldn't be hard getting sorted out. I reckon for an unassisted unnoficial ride, I could do it for £2000, almost certainly less. I could save that up.
It does look like they are a bit more relaxed with their rules though and have official helpers, so I might even be allowed to ride without backup, or even with very minimal backup. It's not RAAM, but I think it's much more accessable and almost as good as RAAM.
It would be handy to know now whether they will be running it in June or September next year though.
Just need to start getting the miles in, which I plan to do after PBP, which I'm using  to start building up my miles in the build up to PBP.
It all depends if I get motivated enough and start getting the big miles in though.

« Reply #30 on: 03 June, 2011, 10:26:23 am »
Yes, they do seem more laid back about support requirements - presumably because they need to attract people for the first few runnings until it becomes established. I noticed that this year they are offering to provide full crews if necessary (and for the provision of wonga!), which makes it easier to enter too - I suspect more people could save/borrow a few thousand pounds than could persuade a dozen people to support them.

Especially billy-no-mates long distance cyclists  :)

This is on my radar too. I hold no illusions about being able to win one of these, but think I stand a good chance of finishing.

« Reply #31 on: 03 June, 2011, 10:36:52 am »
Going the Distance: The George Thomas Story is quite a good read about RAAM. He was a hit-and-run victim, and ended up with nasty epileptic seizures to the degree that he couldn't function properly in normal life, but managed to pull back and finish RAAM with the aid of an experimental drug. The book talks of the personal problems and the race problems - including crewing, where the strains there are as great as on the racer (after all, he only needs to pedal...)

review here

« Reply #32 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:10:37 pm »
Mark Pattinson, a UK rider, came second last year. His site is very informative.
MarkPattinson.com

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 09 June, 2011, 08:06:33 pm »
A good mate of mine has made a late decision to ride in a mixed team.
RAAM
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #34 on: 09 June, 2011, 08:37:12 pm »
Great - that gives me a team to follow  :thumbsup:

(I know Dan from the UMCA, but hadn't heard this).

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #35 on: 16 June, 2011, 04:07:13 pm »

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #36 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:10:55 am »
Christoph Strasser has won the solo race

He doesn't seem to have broken the speed record.  This looked possible a day or two ago but I guess he lost some time.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #37 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:24:18 am »
Brian Welsh passed checkpoint 37 some hours ago, at 2123 miles.  That only leaves 866 miles to go, a mere L-E-L of a distance. 

Whenever I start to feel faint this weekend, my mental rejoinder will be "Think of Brian and HTFU!"

« Reply #38 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:40:22 am »
Christoph Strasser has won the solo race ...

In a smidgen under a 15mph average speed.

My normal speed for my 12 mile commute is between 13.5mph and 15.5mph, depending on weather, health, etc.  Achieving that sort of average speed over eight days is mind blowingly impressive.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #39 on: 24 June, 2011, 03:36:29 pm »
Christoph Strasser has won the solo race

He doesn't seem to have broken the speed record.  This looked possible a day or two ago but I guess he lost some time.

Might he/they have encountereed some of the extreme weather parts of the States have been experiencing over the past couple of days?

« Reply #40 on: 25 June, 2011, 07:38:17 am »
Mark Pattinson put in a well planned ride for second place. He was in about fifth or sixth position for many days, but his average speed dropped more slowly than the other competitors', and he overtook Marco Baloh for the runner-up position.

I would love to be involved in this in some way!
#makewattsnotwar

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #41 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:59:39 am »
It seems that Brian Welsh missed the time cut off at time station 53 and so was DNF

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #42 on: 28 June, 2011, 02:50:36 pm »
Yes, with 55 miles to go  :(