Author Topic: Teesside route advice please  (Read 1512 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Teesside route advice please
« on: 25 August, 2023, 07:29:20 am »
I've started commuting by bike and train again.

I live in Northallerton and now work in Boro.

My commute so far takes me by train to Thornaby then I cycle the last 4.5 miles along the Tees to the office.

I'd like to extend that, is there a nice (read traffic free) route from boro to Yarm?

Along similar lines, a colleague lives in Ingelby Toytown, is there a route to get him from there to Boro that avoids roads as much as possible?

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Teesside route advice please
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2023, 08:14:24 am »
Where abouts in Boro would be the next question :) 

From Thorn Abby you can take the 8 bridges route in to Boro - it's about as traffic free as you are going to get. 8km

From Yarm - its basically the same but with some on road cycle path and a bit of through houses cycle path 19km .

From Spam City there again, 8 bridges with some side of the road cycle path along the Queens Liz's way. 15km

Both options are not very direct.
Regards,

Joergen

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2023, 09:10:35 am »
Where? Boho/College area

I think I have the Thornaby to Boro bit down, I use the 8 bridges route that you mention, drop onto the bike path at the port then a quick dash on road from there gets me to the office. The biggest problem with that route is the number of other people on bikes, especially those with no spatial awareness!

Direct is not the problem, idiot smoggy drivers are, especially for my colleague who gave up cycling after being knocked off by a driver.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2023, 03:43:24 pm »
There are bike lanes to Toytown but they're all a bit pants- sharp bends, shared use, random dumping you on a road.
From Yarm I'd cross the river to Eaglescliffe, there's no way of staying South without fighting the traffic. Yarm road past Preston Park at least has a lane for you. If you start at Toytown the path by the QE way isn't bad.

When I rode from work (Billingham/Seaton Carew) to Yarm for pub nights I'd do something like this:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44194158