Author Topic: What's worth seeing at the cinema at the moment?  (Read 1496 times)

What's worth seeing at the cinema at the moment?
« on: 16 June, 2009, 11:04:53 am »
We were contemplating going to the cinema tomorrow (half-price with a certain mobile phone). We had thought of seeing the latest Terminator film, but the reviews I've seen aren't terribly convincing.

Is there anything on at the moment that people would recommend?

:)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: What's worth seeing at the cinema at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2009, 11:06:47 am »
Terminator is worth seeing just for Christian Bale's body...  :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2009, 11:14:54 am »
Not a lot, I'd have thought.

Latest DVD acquistions Chez Manotea were "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" (brilliant), watched with Ms Manotea the Elder who shares my sense of humour and "The Duallists" (Ridley Scotts breakthrough movie) which I really liked though Mini-Manoteas complained there 'wasn't much of a story' (sigh).

« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2009, 11:25:46 am »
Hmm. Perhaps I'll just have to wait a few weeks for Transformers 2 to come out (the first film was suprisingly good).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2009, 02:08:49 pm »
I say go and see the Terminator movie anyway - you know you will end up seeing it in some format at some point.  If there isn't anything else out there that grabs you, you might as well see T4 in splodey joy on the big screen.

Having said that, the reverse barometer at my work has seen it and said: "It's brilliant, it never stops, there's not none of that talky rubbish in it".

She liked 'Numbers' and doesn't like "any black and white rubbish" if you wish to calibrate her reverse barometer settings.

Manotea

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2009, 02:28:46 pm »
Hmm. Perhaps I'll just have to wait a few weeks for Transformers 2 to come out (the first film was suprisingly good).

I'll probably toddle along to see Terminator but the thought of paying to see Transformers (shudder).

I do find myself rather bored rigid by much of what's on at the cinema. Maybe I'm getting old, everythings so deriverative. Just CNBA to watch James Bond, Slumdog, Benjamin Button etc. even on the small screen. Reached saturation point, I guess.

Nowadays I find myself sticking to the classics. The Resident Evil trilogy is surprisingly good...

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2009, 02:35:45 pm »
Looking for Eric.

It's a Ken Loach film and not all about football. Knowing who Eric Cantona is will help though.

John Henshaw was briefly irritating as he just reminds me of standing in queues at post offices (it's him from the post office adverts) but that quickly passes. IronoclasticTM of Loach to cast him as a postman.

Some great lines in it though. Try not to read any reviews of it before going, many of them I've read (after seeing the film) reveal a bit too much for my liking.

If you like Mike Leigh films then you should like this.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2009, 02:36:35 pm »

I'll probably toddle along to see Terminator but the thought of paying to see Transformers (shudder).

Have you seen the first movie? I didn't see it in the cinema, and picked it up one rainy evening in Blockbuster for a few quid. We expected big explosions and CGI. It delivered these, along with a lot of humour, good acting from the lead characters, and great direction (the plot was somewhat boring, all about a MacGuffin, but it didn't matter too much). I was quite impressed. :)

ed_o_brain

« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2009, 02:37:13 pm »
You might have already seen it, but if not I would recommend Star Trek.

I was very surprised by the opening sequence. Had me blubbing.

Manotea

« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2009, 02:44:10 pm »

Have you seen the first movie? I didn't see it in the cinema, and picked it up one rainy evening in Blockbuster for a few quid. We expected big explosions and CGI. It delivered these, along with a lot of humour, good acting from the lead characters, and great direction (the plot was somewhat boring, all about a MacGuffin, but it didn't matter too much). I was quite impressed. :)

Acting? You are Vanessa Redgrave and ICMFP! My complaint was the direction. The transformers are the whole point of the movie and the director was so fired up to keep the action pace up that with all the flashy 'camera work' you couldn't actually see them, meaning large chunks of the movie was simply (boring) noise.

I had a Transformer (robots in disguise) on my office desk for several years. People learnt not to ask me what it was...

« Reply #10 on: 16 June, 2009, 02:50:21 pm »

Acting? You are Vanessa Redgrave and ICMFP! My complaint was the direction. The transformers are the whole point of the movie and the director was so fired up to keep the action pace up that with all the flashy 'camera work' you couldn't actually see them, meaning large chunks of the movie was simply (boring) noise.

I had a Transformer (robots in disguise) on my office desk for several years. People learnt not to ask me what it was...

Ah, I was not a Transformers fan as a child, so I was less of a purist on seeing it. As for not seeing the robots - I quite liked the fact that the director wasn't doing the gratuitously lingering "look at what our CGI budget went on" shots - I felt it was more of a "yup, we're making a movie, some of these actors are real, some aren't, get over it" attitude.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 16 June, 2009, 08:18:06 pm »
Terminator 4 is dead boring.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Spinners

« Reply #12 on: 17 June, 2009, 07:02:03 am »
I'm not sure if it's still showing but the recent Star Trek film was hugely enjoyable.