Author Topic: Where 7th Avenue meets Broadway  (Read 2923 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Where 7th Avenue meets Broadway
« on: 24 May, 2008, 08:56:55 am »
I'm in an internet cafe and they're playing the Pet Shop Boys' New York City Boy (they sometimes have better taste). I think it's a cover of a Village People song? Also heard a rap-style remix of it when I was in PizzaShed with little Cudzo.

So, assuming it is originally a Village People song, what is where 7th Avenue meets Broadway? I can only assume it's the venue of some incredibly camp event or institution; or perhaps it's the address of the New York YMCA?

I'm sure someone on yacf who's familiar with NYC must be able to enlighten me.   ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Robbo4

Re: Where 7th Avenue meets Broadway
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2008, 12:06:47 pm »
It is part of Times Square, so the site of a lot of well known buildings.

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2008, 12:12:32 pm »
I would imagine it may have had the same significance as Picadilly Circus and being "behind with the rent"

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2008, 12:19:19 pm »
If you haven't it out by Tuesday I'll stroll by and have a look as I'm working on Broadway next week

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2008, 12:22:28 pm »
NYC Boy is a Tenant/Lowe (PSB) original.

I have just read the lyrics, is 7th and Broadway a pickup place for rent boys by chance. Let us know Paul.

Deliciously camp video too.

PaulF

« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2008, 02:32:41 pm »

I have just read the lyrics, is 7th and Broadway a pickup place for rent boys by chance. Let us know Paul.

:o

If that's your thing I'm sure we could find you something closer to home :P

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2008, 02:36:33 pm »

:o

If that's your thing I'm sure we could find you something closer to home :P

no it isn't, thanks.

PaulF

« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2008, 02:19:46 am »
I'm in an internet cafe and they're playing the Pet Shop Boys' New York City Boy (they sometimes have better taste). I think it's a cover of a Village People song? Also heard a rap-style remix of it when I was in PizzaShed with little Cudzo.

So, assuming it is originally a Village People song, what is where 7th Avenue meets Broadway? I can only assume it's the venue of some incredibly camp event or institution; or perhaps it's the address of the New York YMCA?

I'm sure someone on yacf who's familiar with NYC must be able to enlighten me.   ;)

If you haven't it out by Tuesday I'll stroll by and have a look as I'm working on Broadway next week

Actually working the other end of Broadway but my hotel is the Times Square end.

I just wandered past (purely in the interests of research :)) and the glib answer is my new NY office (which I should have known) and a Hard Rock Cafe, other than that nothing obviously significant. Maybe it gets more 'interesting' after dark, but I'm going to bed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2008, 03:42:23 am »
So now we have to ask ourselves what PaulF's NY office does that makes it so special for the Pet Shop Boys?  ;)

Thanks for all the answers and research. I guess Zoider's answer has it? Unless PaulF does more research by night...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.