Author Topic: Help with fall apart flapjack  (Read 18116 times)

Help with fall apart flapjack
« on: 01 June, 2009, 12:15:55 am »
I made flapjack for the first time in ages and it fell apart completely - more crumbs than flapjack!  I remember being told what to do to fix this - more something, less something else but the details are lost in the mist of memory failure.

Any ideas? ???
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Re: Help with fall apart flapjack
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2009, 12:25:20 am »
I tried with a few different types of fat, and found butter to be the best. (i was attempting a vegan flapjack)

I also found it was good to smooth down the mixture with the back of a spoon before baking.

I'm using 250g butter, 165 suger, 80 treacle. 330 oats, and about 25 minutes at around 180 degrees, but my oven regularly seems to work 20 degrees c  below most recipes.

Plus other bits, liek fruits and nuts. It seems to stay together - I leave in in the (buttered) tray for for 10 minutes or so before trurning out and then cut with a good bread knife when cool.

Hope this helps,  and I'm very keen to hear other recipes, specifically for vegan flapjacks. (i get that way occasionally).

Tim

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2009, 12:36:25 pm »
I generally use Leith's recipe (and then add extra nommie bits), it is based on butter, golden syrup, sugar and oats.

Off the top of my head - did you do it thick enough in the tin and get the cooking time right?

I've never had problems with it crumbling providing I got the cooking right.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2009, 01:28:57 pm »
You also have to get the right kind of oats.  If you use all posh ones (big lumps, no dusty bits) it'll not hold together as well unless you positively souse it in fat and sugar. 

My usual plan is to use half posh oats and half cheapy ones.  The texture comes out right, but they stay solid.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2009, 03:08:40 pm »
I made flapjack for the first time in ages and it fell apart completely - more crumbs than flapjack!  I remember being told what to do to fix this - more something, less something else but the details are lost in the mist of memory failure.

Any ideas? ???

Cook for a little longer, maybe 2 or 3 minutes
Also increasing the amount of Golden Syrup might help

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2009, 03:19:51 pm »
The recipe on the Golden Syrup website has worked for me in the past.

MMMmmmm. I wonder if I've got the makings in the larder...

« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:37:05 pm »

I also found it was good to smooth down the mixture with the back of a spoon before baking.

I do this after getting it out of the oven.

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2009, 12:24:19 am »
I've been using fairly posh-ish big oats, Jordans I think, and to Pru's recipe, but slightly altered cos I couldn't be arsed to cut up the butter. So everything got timesed by 1.5 to enable the use of a whole packet of butter.

No vegans, then?

« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2009, 01:18:58 am »
Thanks everyone.

I'll give it a try for this weekend and let you know how I go.

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2009, 02:22:36 pm »
Your suggestions worked a treat!

I think the solution was to use butter (not margarine) and more of it and more golden syrup (in the sweet flapjack) and cook at a lower temperature for a bit longer.

So, cheese and onion flapjack and peanut butter flapjack (both recipes I haven't tried previously) are made and ready for Controls 1 and 3 of tomorrow's 600 - and they taste great.

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2009, 09:56:14 pm »
mmmmm... what was the cheese and onion flapjacks recipe?

:D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2009, 09:57:44 pm »
Remember to bake them.  I hope this helps...I didn't realise you had to cook them, the first time I made any.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 08 June, 2009, 02:22:01 am »
Cooking is good but the raw flapjack tastes good too.

Well the rides went off well on the weekend although there only ended up being four 600 riders, one 300 and one 400.

The cheese and onion flapjack was a big success and I will make more next time.  Here is the recipe.

Cheese & Onion flapjack

2 eggs (beaten)
    50g butter
    150g grated cheese
    1 diced red onion
    140g porridge oats

Melt the butter and stir in the porridge oats.  Add the rest of the ingredients, mix and press into an 8 inch tin.
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes at 180 degrees.

I doubled the recipe and used brown onion as I didn't have any red and it was fine.

« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2009, 02:28:58 pm »
The savoury flapjacks can be made in a heavy frying pan over a flame. Which means they can be made when camping.

My recipe uses one egg, a lot more cheese, no onion and rosemary.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 11 June, 2009, 09:41:26 am »
Thanks Sandy. That'll be going in the pan sometime this weekend. I'll try and roadtest them on sunday!

Campfire cooking sounds good too.

richard