Author Topic: Is it the end of cash?  (Read 38746 times)

Re: Is it the end of cash?
« Reply #375 on: 12 December, 2023, 08:49:20 am »
I cannot recall the precise details just now but there was a case perhaps last year? Where people were having their phones stolen from gym lockers.  Somehow those phones were being used to make financial transactions.
This was discussed before.

Change your phone settings so that SMS contents are not shown when the screen is locked.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #376 on: 12 December, 2023, 08:53:43 am »
It's always seemed a bit of a silly idea to have notifications displayed without unlocking the phone. What advantage does it bring?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #377 on: 12 December, 2023, 09:15:05 am »
Or switch the phone off, before putting it in your locker.
Though they could just steal your SIM, and put it in another phone. So make sure you have set a SIM PIN.

« Reply #378 on: 12 December, 2023, 09:28:34 am »
Or switch the phone off, before putting it in your locker.
Though they could just steal your SIM, and put it in another phone. So make sure you have set a SIM PIN.
Finally, a justification for e-sims!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #379 on: 12 December, 2023, 09:38:41 am »
Best to disable any SMS verification anyway. It can be unreliable and unsecure.
Use an authenticator app if you can.

ian

« Reply #380 on: 12 December, 2023, 09:04:41 pm »
I cannot recall the precise details just now but there was a case perhaps last year? Where people were having their phones stolen from gym lockers.  Somehow those phones were being used to make financial transactions.
This was discussed before.

Change your phone settings so that SMS contents are not shown when the screen is locked.

Default on an iPhone, it just tells you have got a message. Been that way for as long as I remember, which may be as far back as last week.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #381 on: 13 December, 2023, 10:29:35 pm »
Doesn't need to be cash-less for them to surveil you. E.g. tescos are following the lead of US markets with direct price discounts for "tracking" card holders. Expect the others to follow suit soon.

Your club card has been about surveillance of your buying habits since the last millennium.

J

I don't have one. The price discounts for card holders advertised directly on the shelves are new here.

And given the reported sale of data by sainos and tescos, I'm still OK with that.
(I am fortunate in that I am not reliant on the discounted "cardholder/datamine" prices)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #382 on: 17 December, 2023, 09:08:14 pm »
Round table came door knocking t'other day with that bloke Santa, expecting cash!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain