Author Topic: Bass guitar  (Read 4544 times)

Bass guitar
« on: 18 September, 2022, 02:31:23 pm »
Anyone here play bass?
Any thoughts on a novice looking to learn to play and which guitar to go for or avoid?  My current thoughts are that affordable and looks nice is a fair starting point until you’ve developed enough talent/ear for it to matter.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Bass guitar
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2022, 02:37:31 pm »
I have a bass guitar. Couldn't advise on what's a good or bad buy tho'. Kids bought it for my 60th birthday present.

IMG_20210307_113905_490 by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2022, 03:06:28 pm »
I have one too. No advice really because "affordable and looks nice" were my only criteria. I bought it because it sparkles in the light and was half price.

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2022, 04:50:52 pm »
Any thoughts on learning to play?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2022, 04:55:56 pm »
None, but let me know the trick when you work it out, I'll stick with Streets of London for now
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2022, 05:12:26 pm »
Any thoughts on learning to play?

I'm working through Hal Leonard Bass Method and have an ultimate-guitar.com account and pick out bass tabs for songs I like the bass lines to.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2022, 06:54:04 pm »
My advice is to spend as much as you are happy with and buy what makes you smile. It’s for a hobby, and we work so we can in part, pay for our toys. If funds permit and you want the latest, then why not? If funds are tight and you can only afford second hand from cash converter/eBay/wherever, as long as picking it up makes you smile, then it’s a win.

From my understanding of guitars, the only real criteria in picking one to start out with is the ‘action’. I understand this to be how far the strings are from the fret/pickups and a lower action is more problematic when you are starting out. But this is second hand knowledge from when I was buying my son a guitar a number of years ago so some better informed advice  is probably a good idea  O:-)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2022, 07:37:35 pm »
Acoustic tend to have a higher action than electric, which means a lot more work for the fingers when learning, but is supposed to stand you in good stead later on. I definitely felt the difference when switching from the polymer strings of the uke to the steel strings of the acoustic
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2022, 08:54:17 pm »
Anyone here play bass?
Any thoughts on a novice looking to learn to play and which guitar to go for or avoid?  My current thoughts are that affordable and looks nice is a fair starting point until you’ve developed enough talent/ear for it to matter.

I would add one more attribute to affordable and looks nice by saying that the most important thing is that it feels comfortable in your hands, mainly in your left hand (if you are right handed). Guitar and bass necks have different shapes and thicknesses and you will find some decidedly more or less comfortable. Your hands and fingers will be longer or shorter and fatter or thinner than the next person's so if you can get into a local music shop simply with the aim of finding which bass necks feel good in your hands and, while you are at it, which basses feel too large or too small.

Feel free to tell the shop sales person that your budget limits you to buying secondhand; see what the shop has but be prepared to walk out if nothing appeals to you nor fits your budget.

Beardy and ElyDave mentioned the action, which covers a number of things. Assuming you are a cyclist that adjusts things on your bike, we can guide you through adjusting your bass if you have allen keys, a few screwdrivers, feeler gauges and a tuner or a tuner app.

Personally, I would suggest you buy a strap and use it even when you are sitting to play. It is a good habit to get into.

A small, cheap, secondhand bass combo will be an ideal starting point.

Playing bass requires short fingernails on both hands as you don't want to be scraping the fretboard with your left hand nor plucking the strings like a fingerstyle guitarist with your right hand.

Yours, yet another forum bass player with yet another viewpoint.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2022, 08:37:33 am »
I’d echo what road-runner says. If you can buy second hand as you’ll get better value for money.

The guitar/bass world has its equivalent of the BSO so beware of the ultra-cheap models; you’ll either outgrow them or they’ll be so hard to play that they’ll put you off. The good news is that electric instruments are relatively easy to render playable with tools you probably already have.

« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2022, 03:22:04 pm »
Moar follow-up questions:

On an electric bass I understand you can use a headphone amp with headphones.  Is there a way to pipe in music at the same time, so that you can play to music (like what electric drums can do)?

Looking to develop a decent ear for bass, how would you either mix up the bass or source specific bass heavy tracks to listen to?

BSO bass price level, would that extend up to £300?

(This is advanced planning stages, as my budget is currently in the -ve£s and I am currently working through another project before I take on "learning to play music").

Thankx all for the feedback; I'm glad I don't have to step into the world of talkbass to ask simple questions.

PaulF

« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2022, 04:34:49 pm »
Moar follow-up questions:

On an electric bass I understand you can use a headphone amp with headphones.  Is there a way to pipe in music at the same time, so that you can play to music (like what electric drums can do)?

BSO bass price level, would that extend up to £300?

Thankx all for the feedback; I'm glad I don't have to step into the world of talkbass to ask simple questions.

Some selective editing to answer the questions I feel qualified to :)

My practice (and only) guitar amp has a line in so I can mix the signal from a mp3 player with my playing.  It also has a headphone output. Amp is a Blackstar Fly but I believe others may do the same and there may be something more suitable for bass.

I know little about basses but would have thought £300 would take you safely out of BSO territory. Not a specific recommendation but I had the guitar equivalent of this https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-affinity-precision-bass-pj-lrl-black-pg-lake-placid-blue and would have had no hesitation in recommending the guitar as a starter. I took it to a local tech who was very impressed with the quality.

« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2022, 08:16:26 pm »

I have a now-obsolete Fiio unit, so that's no use. But there's lots around like the Vox one https://voxamps.com/en-gb/product/amplug-2/ - these take almost no room, so you can just carry your bass with you rather than lugging an amp around too, allow you to plug in headphones and plug something in to the Aux input for playing along with MP3s etc.

My bass is a Yamaha, a 200 series (don't remember the exact model) so one up from low end ones. Bought second hand, I tend to take the view that Yamaha make competent instruments whatever they are (keyboards, flutes, guitars, etc.) so it was a fairly safe bet - and would let me decide what I did and didn't like when I replaced it. Never got around to replacing it, but then other than playing once with my brother's band (where my dad and youngest offspring also joined the band that day) at his wedding I only play for my own amusement.

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2022, 12:49:52 am »
The most flexible, practical and sensible choice would be to get a small bass combo that has an extra input and a headphone socket, like PaulF's for example.

Regarding prices, with improved low end build quality you should find anything over £150 new for a bass and £100 for a combo to be of sufficient quality. Below these prices, a BSO equivalent bass will have lower quality metal parts, so the bass may go out of tune easier, for example. If you find a bass or combo you like, let us know the make and, if possible, the model, and we will no doubt steer you away from making a bad purchase.

Buying secondhand allows you to buy much cheaper, which seems more suitable for someone with a negative budget.

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2022, 06:30:48 am »
Get one of these. Ditch your job, wife and kids and never look back...

« Reply #15 on: 29 May, 2023, 05:17:15 pm »
fd3, how is the search going? If you haven't found a bass and combo yet, Jaded knows of one of each that will be for sale, ideal for a beginner. See the topic Help needed valuing some guitars.

« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2023, 07:31:19 pm »
Cheers for the shout.  I have put this on the backburner for another year (or two) and while the summer does scream projects at me I have a couple of outgoings that mean I have no money - even for a deal. 

« Reply #17 on: 11 November, 2023, 09:17:10 pm »
Still reckon instrument and learning are a good year off. But I am interested in getting some headphones that would work to listen to playing bass AND also would work for music to pick up on the bass. 
Any thoughts? Bonus marks for not much more tha £100 and working both plug in and wireless/Bluetooth.

« Reply #18 on: 11 November, 2023, 10:41:16 pm »
I have a set of headphones which only work plugged in... but I have two blue tooth units which pair to each other, and one plugs into your source amp, and the other plugs into the headphones.

This enables listening to headphones plugged in to Hi-fi if I want to stay in the same room, and blue toothed if I want to roam around the house / go in the back garden etc. with the slave unit (plugged into my headphones), carried in my pocket.

If this sounds like what you want to achieve, I can help you find similar units.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

PaulF

« Reply #19 on: 11 November, 2023, 10:53:07 pm »
I have a set of headphones which only work plugged in... but I have two blue tooth units which pair to each other, and one plugs into your source amp, and the other plugs into the headphones.

This enables listening to headphones plugged in to Hi-fi if I want to stay in the same room, and blue toothed if I want to roam around the house / go in the back garden etc. with the slave unit (plugged into my headphones), carried in my pocket.

If this sounds like what you want to achieve, I can help you find similar units.

I’d advise against this approach as Bluetooth generally has too much latency for musical instruments so there’d be a lag between plucking the string and hearing the sound.

« Reply #20 on: 12 November, 2023, 12:24:47 am »
This would work for headphones plugged in to an amp and the Bluetooth proxy would let me listen to music from my phone. My search for headphones suggested over £400 for Bluetooth, wired and bass so this could be a workable solution.

PaulF

« Reply #21 on: 12 November, 2023, 05:29:21 am »
Yes that would be fine as you’d be playing along with the “delayed” signal.

« Reply #22 on: 12 November, 2023, 11:39:16 am »
This would work for headphones plugged in to an amp and the Bluetooth proxy would let me listen to music from my phone. My search for headphones suggested over £400 for Bluetooth, wired and bass so this could be a workable solution.

The people that sell the blue tooth units, don't actually say that you can do this, but they were so cheap, I bought two of them and got them paired to each other anyway.

The ones I bought were a slightly different shape, but these are cheaper still and will do the same thing. Obviously, you will need to purchase two.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyULT-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Headphones/dp/B088K5WLX4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=26X9UYCLPKYA5&keywords=Bluetooth+5.0+Transmitter+and+Receiver%2C+Jsdoin&qid=1699789003&s=computers&sprefix=bluetooth+5.0+transmitter+and+receiver+jsdoin%2Ccomputers%2C95&sr=1-5
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

PaulF

« Reply #23 on: 12 November, 2023, 12:57:31 pm »
If you want a wireless connection between bass and amp I’d recommend these https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEKATO-Transmitter-Receiver-Rechargeable-Appearance/dp/B08QCFN15H/

I’ve got an older version and they’re great for home use.

« Reply #24 on: 12 November, 2023, 03:52:54 pm »
Thanks both,
The point is that I can get wired headphones for ~ £100 which is okay.  They won't plug in to my phone as it doesn't have a corded connection.  So one bluetooth receiver will allow me to connect phone to headphones and eventually phone to amp (with headphone wired into amp).