Author Topic: Bass guitar  (Read 4545 times)

Re: Bass guitar
« Reply #25 on: 12 November, 2023, 04:47:15 pm »
Thanks both,
The point is that I can get wired headphones for ~ £100 which is okay.  They won't plug in to my phone as it doesn't have a corded connection.  So one bluetooth receiver will allow me to connect phone to headphones and eventually phone to amp (with headphone wired into amp).

Happy to help. I would like to learn to play bass guitar one day. Trouble is I am 64 and am not sure how to go about it!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #26 on: 13 November, 2023, 05:42:16 am »
Thanks both,
The point is that I can get wired headphones for ~ £100 which is okay.  They won't plug in to my phone as it doesn't have a corded connection.  So one bluetooth receiver will allow me to connect phone to headphones and eventually phone to amp (with headphone wired into amp).

Happy to help. I would like to learn to play bass guitar one day. Trouble is I am 64 and am not sure how to go about it!

In the words of Jim McGuinn and Chris Hillman

“Just get an electric guitar
Then take some time and learn how to play”

I started to learn guitar in my 50’s (I had one as a teenager but only learnt a few chords) and taught myself with books and videos. Or you could find a teacher, either online or locally.

« Reply #27 on: 13 November, 2023, 07:36:40 am »
If you have a half-decent ear then playing along with songs you like is a good start.  Bass lines are usually fairly simple and distinct in a mix (depending on genre of course).  Modern technology means stopping/starting a track makes it easier.  There's also software which allows you to slow down digital tracks without altering the pitch.
The sound of one pannier flapping

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #28 on: 13 November, 2023, 07:38:10 am »
Thanks both,

In the words of Jim McGuinn and Chris Hillman

“Just get an electric guitar
Then take some time and learn how to play”

I started to learn guitar in my 50’s (I had one as a teenager but only learnt a few chords) and taught myself with books and videos. Or you could find a teacher, either online or locally.

Same here, but late 40's
Finding a teacher round here is like looking for unicorn doodoo, or at least one that will do lessons other than at  3:15 on a Tuesday.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #29 on: 13 November, 2023, 03:41:31 pm »
So what guitar do I buy?
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

PaulF

« Reply #30 on: 13 November, 2023, 03:50:37 pm »
So what guitar do I buy?

I'm not a bassist so have little knowledge but something like this may be a reference point https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-mini-precision-bass-dakota-red

Squier are Fender's budget brand but my experience of their guitars has been positive

« Reply #31 on: 13 November, 2023, 03:53:00 pm »
So what guitar do I buy?

I'm not a bassist so have little knowledge but something like this may be a reference point https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-mini-precision-bass-dakota-red

Squier are Fender's budget brand but my experience of their guitars has been positive

Fantastic - Thank You Paul

« Reply #32 on: 13 November, 2023, 06:59:23 pm »
PMT also do starter packs for squires, with an amp n ting.
I will eventually go to one of their shops to browse and decide.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #33 on: 13 November, 2023, 07:02:02 pm »
Ham otp is, or was, flogging an Ibanez bass and an amp on Facebook.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #34 on: 13 November, 2023, 07:12:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice lads, have seen a suitable axe on FB Marketplace. Awaiting response from seller  :thumbsup:

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #35 on: 13 November, 2023, 07:59:03 pm »
For learning to play, you need to choose something you'll want to pick up everyday, if only for just a few minutes. I reckon some guitars look good, some sound guitars, while others feel good. You can imagine the venn diagram, where the ones in the centre of those three overlapping circles would be the expensive ones. But I think for learning, one of these qualities is much more important than the others, and that is how the instrument feels in the hands.

Hear me out...

Only if it feels pleasant to play will you want to return to it day after day, devoting the time and  energy to practising. The sound of an instrument doesn't matter so much when you're not performing. The looks don't really matter at all. All that matters is that you must want to pick it up and have a go at playing every day. And so I'd recommend a learner looks for the most 'tactile' guitar they can find. Exactly what that means is up to you, but as someone learning the instrument, when faced with a choice of guitars, I'd choose the one which is the more enjoyable to handle.

(click to show/hide)

So you should try various guitars / bass guitars before you choose one to buy. The only practical way to do this IME is to visit guitar shops and spend a long time trying instruments (or at least some time handling them). A guitar or a bass really is an item that should NOT be bought online because you have no way of testing how the instrument feels.

I'm someone who has messed about with guitars for 30 years, has spent many many hours in guitar shops, owns too many instruments, and has bought some that are no longer played, as well as some that are. There is a bass in the collection.

ElyDave

« Reply #36 on: 13 November, 2023, 09:54:32 pm »
I would agree apart from the matt finish on the body.

I'm a real sucker for the grain, and the specific variant of the guitars I bought were both on playability and looking in my eyes like a work of art as much as a functional thing.  In the case of my accoustic, you can feel thr roughening of the laquer starting to appear in specific places, which just communicates to me "I did that, by picking it up, playing it, handling it, loving it".

I may never be the next Mark Knopfler or Justin Hayward, but I've loved every step to get where I am so far, and the "right" guitar is definitely part of that.

On strings, I actually went down a guage on my accoustic the first time i restrung it, just to lighten it a bit.

PaulF

« Reply #37 on: 14 November, 2023, 05:25:27 am »
Some good advice from fruitcake; but don’t get hung up on it.  My experience was that I didn’t know what I liked until I’d played a few guitars.  Like bicycles, this is a cycling forum after all :) , you adapt to your first bike or guitar and learn your preferences over time.

« Reply #38 on: 14 November, 2023, 05:45:36 pm »
On advice of a bass player in 2 groups that I follow, I went for a Squier (weird spelling), by Fender, Precision Bass. It was advertised on fb marketplace when I was at my daughter's house, fairly close by! It was only advertised for 1hour before it was in my car.

PaulF

« Reply #39 on: 14 November, 2023, 05:51:52 pm »
On advice of a bass player in 2 groups that I follow, I went for a Squier (weird spelling), by Fender, Precision Bass. It was advertised on fb marketplace when I was at my daughter's house, fairly close by! It was only advertised for 1hour before it was in my car.

Pictures or it never happened:)

« Reply #41 on: 15 November, 2023, 11:49:52 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/805011111/videos/3780218798874962/

My first hour with an electric guitar of any type for a very long time, first ever bass twanging experience. Not great, but playing by ear and having fun. Daughter said I had to learn to play White Stripes, Seven Nation Army.

Cheese for the ears, available in all good fridges.

« Reply #42 on: 16 November, 2023, 09:42:15 am »
I don't know why you can't see the fb posts. I don't do instagram etc, I do do strava, but playing guitar is not generally accepted as physical exercise.

Any ideas as to how to get photos or video to show here and prove my guitar exists?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #43 on: 16 November, 2023, 09:53:06 am »
I don't know why you can't see the fb posts. I don't do instagram etc, I do do strava, but playing guitar is not generally accepted as physical exercise.

Any ideas as to how to get photos or video to show here and prove my guitar exists?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=127299.0 refers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #44 on: 16 November, 2023, 11:49:21 am »

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=127299.0 refers.

So the answer to my question is "No"?

Other than cloud type storage, if I understand your answer correctly Mr Larrington, there is no way of showing that my guitar exists, in the eyes of those that don't follow me on Facebook.

Shame that. 

I am vehemently opposed to cloud type storage of all of my camera work - the environmental impact of storing all my videos and photos (I am a very keen wildlife photographer) is not going to be on my conscience, thank you very much.

I never even considered this before there was a television article on the environmental impact side of digital storage businesses. So blame the media for my awareness.

I will leave it there and go back to my 12 bar blues practice.

ElyDave

« Reply #45 on: 16 November, 2023, 12:15:57 pm »
a large number of the data centre operators I have worked with either have already or are very far along the path to switching to renewable electricity. There have also been massive improvements in energy consumption per unit storage. 

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #46 on: 16 November, 2023, 04:53:13 pm »

12 bar blues? You should be walking by now  ;)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #47 on: 17 November, 2023, 08:03:36 pm »

Still crawling along with12 bar blues? You should be walking by now  ;)  ;D

« Reply #48 on: 18 November, 2023, 06:45:55 pm »

12 bar blues? You should be walking by now  ;)

You do know I am Sixty something, not 16, do you?

ElyDave

« Reply #49 on: 18 November, 2023, 08:49:38 pm »
As a side question, how often do those more experienced players chnage their strings?  I've seen varying reccomendations such as monnthly, 6 monthly, every 100 hours, when you think you need to ...