Author Topic: Alternatives to Twatter  (Read 19038 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Alternatives to Twatter
« Reply #225 on: 10 July, 2023, 11:35:12 pm »
I still don’t know what Instagram is for.
Its for joining Threads, innit.
You Silly Billy.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #226 on: 17 August, 2023, 12:19:35 am »

Dunno how you're all doing since twitter went tits up.

Haven't used twitter much in recent weeks since they stopped 3rd party apps, and then this week they blocked tweetdeck for non paid accounts. I'm probably gonna post about once a month or three to keep the account alive.

I've gone to Mastodon for everything now. I've passed some threshold now, on the weekend I posted a rant about public transport, and it blew up my notifications. Over 800 boosts, and I've got 90 new followers as a result.

The whole place feels a lot like twitter of 15 years ago. It's not perfect, but it's a nice enough place to hang out.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #227 on: 17 August, 2023, 01:22:55 am »
The whole place feels a lot like twitter of 15 years ago. It's not perfect, but it's a nice enough place to hang out.

This, pretty much.  It's less diverse than twitter, but it's refreshingly calm.  It's amazing how nice genuine technical flaws are when you're used to deliberate enshittification.

I dip my toe into BlueSky occasionally, which seems to be struggling to gain momentum.  The UI doesn't help[1].

[1] Seriously, how hard is it to have a Dark theme that isn't as black as Hotblack Desiato's spaceship?  I want the floaters to go away, not mega-contrast.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #228 on: 17 August, 2023, 02:03:42 am »

This, pretty much.  It's less diverse than twitter, but it's refreshingly calm.  It's amazing how nice genuine technical flaws are when you're used to deliberate enshittification.

I dip my toe into BlueSky occasionally, which seems to be struggling to gain momentum.  The UI doesn't help[1].

Cunningham's law still works...

I had a nice response to my public transport rant post the other day:

"Apologies for the awk Q but is this rhetorical or are you genuinely asking? Just checking before replying."

Another person just told me I was wrong. And then another person apologised for the person who told me I was wrong, because it was them boosting my post that had caused the telling me I'm wrong person to see it.

I've never had such politeness before.

We did have a slight issue with some people from a rather extreme right wing instance. But my instance admin blocked them immediately on request.

I'm enjoying mastodon.

J

[1] Seriously, how hard is it to have a Dark theme that isn't as black as Hotblack Desiato's spaceship?  I want the floaters to go away, not mega-contrast.
[/quote]
--

« Reply #229 on: 17 August, 2023, 02:04:34 am »

Dunno how you're all doing since twitter went tits up.

Haven't used twitter much in recent weeks since they stopped 3rd party apps, and then this week they blocked tweetdeck for non paid accounts. I'm probably gonna post about once a month or three to keep the account alive.

I've gone to Mastodon for everything now. I've passed some threshold now, on the weekend I posted a rant about public transport, and it blew up my notifications. Over 800 boosts, and I've got 90 new followers as a result.

J

Wanders off to follow you on there ;)

I only use twitter to complain to companies and not been there since the change to xXx

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #230 on: 17 August, 2023, 02:27:42 am »

Wanders off to follow you on there ;)

I only use twitter to complain to companies and not been there since the change to xXx

I'm in the social.v.st instance.

J
--

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #231 on: 11 November, 2023, 11:11:16 am »
I don't actively use Twix any more but dip in occasionally to see if I'm missing anything. Checked in this morning and... well, if you needed any further evidence that it is broken beyond repair, this thread from Dave Gorman should convince you:
https://x.com/DaveGorman/status/1723125626666693081?s=20

To save you actually visiting the cesspit, the story is basically that he came across a crypto spammer in his timeline and thought it was odd that he should have been following such an account. He looked at the other followers and saw several fellow comics listed. On further digging, he discovered that this was the official account of the late Neil Innes which had been taken over by said crypto spammer.

Apparently, Space Karen is now selling off defunct accounts, followers included.  :facepalm:

That's it. I'm done. Account deleted.

PS I'm still not on Mastodon but have signed up to Bluesky - @widdersbel.bsky.social if anyone is interested (haven't actually posted anything there yet though)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #232 on: 11 November, 2023, 11:39:32 am »
Where money and infamy are concerned Space Karen has no boundaries.

ian

« Reply #233 on: 11 November, 2023, 11:44:57 am »
While I don't especially like Musk and he's doing a number on Twitter/X, I couldn't find any evidence that they're selling dead accounts, that's just a single post suggesting that they read it somewhere (which I know is all the evidence we need in these modern times for misfeasance). I mean, I wouldn't put it past him, but there are other ways to get access to unused accounts. I'm probably posting suggestive pictures of myself as a sexy young lady right now.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Alternatives to Twatter
« Reply #234 on: 11 November, 2023, 11:47:47 am »
Fair point, ian - I repeated that assertion without checking it’s true. Careless (though you have to admit it sounds plausibly like something he would do). As you say, there are other ways to take control of dormant accounts.

Either way, the place is now dead to me - every time I do check in, the stuff I actually want to see is buried under a pile of shite. It’s broken.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #235 on: 11 November, 2023, 11:53:03 am »
Reminds me a bit of Usenet (young 'uns, it's a bit of the internet that was invented in the beforetimes), over a couple of years became unusable in the sludge of spam and arguments. Musk or not, this might be the fate of all such uncontrolled media, a sort of misinformational entropy.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #236 on: 11 November, 2023, 12:14:30 pm »

Usenet never went away. It's still there.

Sure the September that never ended did have a lasting impact, but it's still in active use.

Everytime I see in the news AFP the news agency referenced, I always think it's referring to alt.fan.pratchet...

J
--