Author Topic: Alternatives to Twatter  (Read 19031 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Alternatives to Twatter
« Reply #25 on: 06 November, 2022, 04:10:48 pm »
I just signed up to Mastodon - had to find some random server to get an acount registered because there's a back-log of twatter users making the jump but once on, seems easy to move around the servers so far.

@jiberjaber  (surprisingly! LOL)

We need to have the server bit too. This is something that confuses new people to mastodon.

Incidentally I'm on mastodon.social, and you can probably work out the username.

J
The needing the server is obfuscated by the search facility.
E.g. I search for a name. Search gives results, including ones on some other server.

No it doesn't. When I search using just the username and don't include the server I get no results.

< @MmePingu@mastodon.scot
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #26 on: 06 November, 2022, 06:12:54 pm »

E.g. I search for a name. Search gives results, including ones on some other server.

No it doesn't. When I search using just the username and don't include the server I get no results.

Weird.
When I go to mastodon.social/explore, wait because it’s groaning under the weight of people from twitter, put MmePingu in the explore box and choose people I see you.

All those people from yesterday have found their way into my follow list now. Must just be laggy.

I’m between_beyond@mastodon.social (because finding a more appropriate server hasn’t become important to me yet).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 06 November, 2022, 06:38:30 pm »
I'm working on the principle that since I really CBA to run my own instance, an explicitly LGBT-friendly one ought to do a decent job of keeping the worst of the Nazis, feminism-appropriating transphobes and libertarian douchbros out.

I remain sceptical as to how much I'll actually use it, but the web interface itself is pleasingly clean.

@kimble4@mastodon.lol

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 06 November, 2022, 07:05:14 pm »

Weird.
When I go to mastodon.social/explore, wait because it’s groaning under the weight of people from twitter, put MmePingu in the explore box and choose people I see you.

All those people from yesterday have found their way into my follow list now. Must just be laggy.

I’m between_beyond@mastodon.social (because finding a more appropriate server hasn’t become important to me yet).

I downloaded the Tusky app last night.  When I just put your user name in just now it found you fine. When I was doing the same thing on Chrome at mastodon.scot it generally didn't work for some unknown reason.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #29 on: 06 November, 2022, 07:23:11 pm »
Ah yes. Apps. A project for while tests are running tomorrow.

« Reply #30 on: 07 November, 2022, 10:21:42 am »
Can I be an outlier and suggest Patreon isn't a bad substitute?

It doesn't have the relink-repost viral bits of Twitter.

Honestly, that's not what I go to Twitter for. I go to twitter to read informational posts and comments by people.

Some of those people use Patreon, and I can read their posts on there. Works just fine for that purpose. (Which isn't hugely different from following a blog, tbh, with the difference that Patreon has a nice built-in payment method.)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #31 on: 07 November, 2022, 10:41:07 am »
I only read Twitter for funny tweets linked from The Poke etc, or to hassle big companies as they use it for customer service contact.  Or, occasionally, to tell the PM of the hour what a twat he/she is.

It'll be fun to watch it crash and burn under the Muskrat. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #32 on: 07 November, 2022, 12:37:52 pm »
The problem with something like Mastodon is that if you have to explain to someone how to get it work, you've lost most of them. Of course, you might view that as an intelligence test for new applicants, something Twitter evidently didn't feature.

I'll admit watching Musk flounder and founder has some brief entertainment value, but ultimately, he's not a very entertaining person since he's just yet another technobro who somehow stumbled to bemusing prominence.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 07 November, 2022, 01:04:47 pm »
[The problem with something like Mastodon is that if you have to explain to someone how to get it work, you've lost most of them.

Yes and no.  Pretty much everything has a learning curve, and I don't think the Fediverse is conceptually any harder than email[1], and I don't think you actually need to understand it to use it.  The Mastodon user interface itself is pretty intuitive to anyone used to Twitter.

The problem[2] is there isn't a big company pushing people to use it.

Of course, you might view that as an intelligence test for new applicants, something Twitter evidently didn't feature.

It's traditional to blame AOL for this.

[1] I have a gmail folder full of evidence that people struggle with this.
[2] Arguably, feature.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 07 November, 2022, 01:16:15 pm »
I'm an occasional Twitter user, but I don't really know how to use it. Apparently there's a way of sending messages to people/organisations so that those messages aren't seen by the rest of the world. I've tried to use that but so infrequently that I can't remember what to do. And of course there's no way of knowing if you have been successful or not.

Then there's weird things called hashtags. Never got the hang of them either. But I did wind up Virgin Media quite successfully when they were behaving appallingly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 07 November, 2022, 01:32:23 pm »
Hashtags are simply a convention that people will agree to use a specific word in their tweets about a given subject, to tag them so that they can easily be found by interested strangers using the search facility.  Also by convention, it's agreed to prefix these tag-words with a '#' (hence 'hashtag') to make it clear that's what you're doing.

So people riding or organising the Fecund Ferret 400 audax might end their posts with #FF400 and #AUK, and you can follow the action with a search for "#FF400".  (This has become formalised in the user interface, so that the tags become clickable, and some clients automagically append any hashtags from the original when you compose a reply.)

That's pretty much it.  There's no formal way to agree that it's #FF400 and not #FecundFerret, for example.  Hopefully the organiser tweets in advance of the event and establishes a precedent for what hastags to use (common for things like conferences), but sometimes these things happen more organically.  (While the search algorithm doesn't care, it's considered good practice to use CamelCase in hashtags, for the benefit of people trying to read them, especially blind screenreader users.)

The other thing is the ironic use of hashtags, which is one of those linguistic quirks that people develop in a specific social circle.  So you might post something like:

Skoggy Lane riddled with hawthorns, used both my spare tubes.  Now walking the rest of the way to the pub.  #Fail #ShouldHaveGoneTubeless

Those hashtags aren't really intended to be searched for (although a search for #Fail or #FML is likely to be entertaining), but as a sort of ironic footnote within a standard tweet template.

« Reply #36 on: 07 November, 2022, 01:32:38 pm »
I read on the increasingly unreliable BBC that the Twat in Chief plans to ban parody accounts.  Apparently hate speech and fake news comes under freedom of speech but parody doesn't.

In other words, parody has been cancelled by one of the biggest self-proclaimed opponents of cancel culture.  How unfathomable ...

« Reply #37 on: 07 November, 2022, 01:39:59 pm »
I read on the increasingly unreliable BBC that the Twat in Chief plans to ban parody accounts.  Apparently hate speech and fake news comes under freedom of speech but parody doesn't.

In other words, parody has been cancelled by one of the biggest self-proclaimed opponents of cancel culture.  How unfathomable ...

Not quite. He's going to insist that they clearly state that they are parody accounts.

It is rumoured that this is because a bunch of people changed their name to elon musk (or variants thereof) and started sh!tposting.

Just heard on the news that Twitter is desperately trying to get some of the sacked employees to come back. Seems they didn't check who they were sacking and got rid of some who have the keys to the vault.

My ribs are hurting from laughing too much.

The Chief Twit has almost no social ('soft', or 'people') skills and is having trouble running a social network company. Who would have guessed?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #38 on: 07 November, 2022, 03:02:58 pm »
So he does intend to silence anybody who doesn't follow his free speech "dictat" then?

"I believe in free speech except when I don't." Kinda thing. 

I am tempted to join calling myself Stinky Nole and spend my time being extremely rude to him.  Oh scratch that: I have a life ...

« Reply #39 on: 07 November, 2022, 05:23:33 pm »
Lone Skum would be a suitable Twatter handle
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

« Reply #40 on: 07 November, 2022, 05:47:40 pm »
Me Sulk On.

« Reply #41 on: 07 November, 2022, 08:12:03 pm »

Just heard on the news that Twitter is desperately trying to get some of the sacked employees to come back. Seems they didn't check who they were sacking and got rid of some who have the keys to the vault.

"Goodbye, former team,
Though I never knew you at all .."

Elton Musk, recently ...

rogerzilla

« Reply #42 on: 07 November, 2022, 09:42:13 pm »
B3ta is now offering ticks for users who give them any money at all, although you can still have the traditional polar bear or knob.

« Reply #43 on: 08 November, 2022, 01:43:11 pm »
Me Sulk On.

The best that I can manage is Omen Sulk or Sulk Omen. 

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #44 on: 08 November, 2022, 03:00:21 pm »
AT the risk of sounding like an octogenarian judge what is "Twatter"?

Re: Alternatives to Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 08 November, 2022, 03:03:24 pm »

It's a supposedly amusing alternative name for the social media platform more commonly known as Twitter.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #46 on: 08 November, 2022, 03:32:44 pm »

It's a supposedly amusing alternative name for the social media platform more commonly known as Twitter.

Thanks

I suppose that's quite funny if you're an eleven year old.

Or may be not even that old...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 08 November, 2022, 03:33:14 pm »
Should be just the thing for the new CEO then...

Re: Alternatives to Twitter
« Reply #48 on: 08 November, 2022, 03:42:15 pm »
Should be just the thing for the new CEO then...

On that theme, here's a screenshot someone took of a post by Musk in which he takes a potshot at Mastodon with a childish riff on its name. ::-)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fg-cM49XwAAq-dv?format=jpg

Oddly enough, said post was deleted shortly afterwards. It might take Musk a little longer to work out that the internet never forgets... ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #49 on: 08 November, 2022, 06:25:06 pm »
Someone needs to clue Paul Krugman into what “North London” means when translated from Dogwhistle to English.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime