Author Topic: [More Stats]  (Read 1366 times)

alfapete

• Oh dear
[More Stats]
« on: 06 November, 2023, 09:06:43 am »
I've been a forumite for many years and initially I only looked at the Audax pages but in recent times (ie since retirement) I spend more time in other areas.

Today I came across the [More Stats] link towards the bottom of the Home page https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=stats link and commend it to the house. Sorry if it's old news to you.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Re: [More Stats]
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2023, 09:18:27 am »
I'm not convinced that the figures you see are an accurate representation of reality.
Clarion, for instance, is listed as the most prolific poster.
He hasn't been online in four years.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2023, 09:39:12 am »
I'm not convinced that the figures you see are an accurate representation of reality.
I don't know. He did post an awful lot when he was active.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2023, 09:45:51 am »
Not enough to be in that position now.
Also, I'm not online anywhere near as much as I was when I wasn't working. So that figure referring to me is suspect.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2023, 01:23:40 pm »
How does it calculate 'time online' anyway?  I usually have YACF lurking in a tab while the computer is on, even if I'm doing something else, or indeed not even at the computer.

(I do a lot of forum reading while waiting for things to download/compile/whatever, and there's no way it'll be able to analyse that in a meaningful way.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2023, 01:49:06 pm »
One of my Babbage-Engines is on 24/7 except for holibobs and Windows updates.  And it always has a Chrome tab open on yacf.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2023, 01:56:19 pm »
Also, how does it calculate the male / female ratio?
Plenty of people's usernames give no indication of gender.

Afasoas

« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2023, 02:03:55 pm »
Some interesting trends in the forum history.

« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2023, 03:29:53 pm »

You'd be surprised -  I had a truffle through the profile pages of the top 3 ranked by post count and topics started, and...

The stats say clarion made 62,305 posts, but his profile actually counts 71,630.

The stats say Kim made 57,083 posts, but her profile actually counts 63,701*.

The stats say Wowbagger made 47,143 posts, but his profile actually counts 62,982*.

The stats page may be talking through its hoop WRT the number of posts, the ranking would appear to be correct. Oddly enough, it goes the other way WRT topics started:

The stats say rogerzilla started 3,919 topics, but his profile actually counts 3,342.

The stats say Wowbagger started 3,091 topics, but his profile actually counts 3,056.

The stats say Jaded started 1,975 topics, but his profile actually counts 1,542.

(In case anyone hasn't worked it out by now, you'll need to be logged in to view the above links)

A quick look suggests that Top 10 topics by replies and views are accurate. However, I haven't a clue what the Top 10 boards ranking is using as a metric because it sure isn't topics per board. For example, the P&OBI index has 108 pages, implying 5,350-5,400 topics, while On The Road, which is ranked above P&OBI (note that the Vroom sub-board is counted separately) has 84 pages, implying 4,150-4,200 topics.

* Post count at time of drafting this post, so it may well have gone up by the time I clicked "Post".
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Afasoas

« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2023, 11:14:00 pm »

You'd be surprised -  I had a truffle through the profile pages of the top 3 ranked by post count and topics started, and...

The stats say clarion made 62,305 posts, but his profile actually counts 71,630.

The stats say Kim made 57,083 posts, but her profile actually counts 63,701*.

The stats say Wowbagger made 47,143 posts, but his profile actually counts 62,982*.

The stats page may be talking through its hoop WRT the number of posts, the ranking would appear to be correct. Oddly enough, it goes the other way WRT topics started:

The stats say rogerzilla started 3,919 topics, but his profile actually counts 3,342.

The stats say Wowbagger started 3,091 topics, but his profile actually counts 3,056.

The stats say Jaded started 1,975 topics, but his profile actually counts 1,542.

(In case anyone hasn't worked it out by now, you'll need to be logged in to view the above links)

A quick look suggests that Top 10 topics by replies and views are accurate. However, I haven't a clue what the Top 10 boards ranking is using as a metric because it sure isn't topics per board. For example, the P&OBI index has 108 pages, implying 5,350-5,400 topics, while On The Road, which is ranked above P&OBI (note that the Vroom sub-board is counted separately) has 84 pages, implying 4,150-4,200 topics.

* Post count at time of drafting this post, so it may well have gone up by the time I clicked "Post".

I wonder if the difference is down to posts/topics in private versus public boards.
The stats page may only reflect the public boards?

« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2023, 12:09:10 am »
The stats page may only reflect the public boards?

No, because Top 10 topics includes 2 P&OBI threads (Coronavirus and The Last Trump), and Top 10 boards includes Vroom and P&OBI.

You need to be logged in to see Vroom, and you need to be logged in and opted in to the P&OBI group to see P&OBI.

ETA - worth noting that if I am logged out and go the stats page, the threads and boards mentioned above don't show up. There was no change to the displayed post counts though.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 07 November, 2023, 12:33:28 am »
Looking at my numbers, the PM mailbox doesn't explain it either.  And I can't imagine I've deleted more than a few tens of posts.

Hm, possibly the numbers might get mangled by mods moving boards around?

sam

« Reply #12 on: 07 November, 2023, 04:57:36 am »
Perhaps post counts are turned off on a board or two, either accidentally or by design.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2023, 07:50:14 am »
I never look at them.  The forum was only expected to have about 300 members  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

sam

« Reply #14 on: 07 November, 2023, 09:57:45 am »
I've just checked NACF's stats. Not too bad, if I do say so myself:

It helps that we don't require a pulse to register.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 07 November, 2023, 04:36:46 pm »
She's trouble.  We banned her from here after she started agitating for a Universal Declaration of Forum Members' Rights, such as the right to ignore Jaded and the right to post "chain's a bit slack" in response to everything in the Gallery, even if it's a photo of Wowbagger's dinner.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

FDR

• Frankie D Rules
  • President of vice
« Reply #16 on: 08 November, 2023, 12:27:26 pm »
That sounds like her. She had a 'playful' side little reported in the press that drove me to drink, the Prohibition era excepted {wink}. Whenever my wheelchair had a mechanical I could be sure she was behind it.

She once pushed me to the top of Capitol Hill, then turned me around and let go, causing me to crash into my Secret Service detail and topple them like ten-pins. She slipped legislation into the New Deal to include "Free pies for all, except fat people," which nearly got passed into law before a sharp-eyed intern caught it. She played fetch with my beloved Fala using water balloons. She had a novelty dime made with a grossly indecent engraving on the tails side – think Black Mirror.

She used to send my fans this 8x10 glossy in lieu of my official portrait, signing it herself in a big flowery script:

When I was elected on this very day in 1932, she publicly joked that she'd voted for the other guy ("I love my Hoover!"), but I'm pretty sure she wasn't kidding. To top it off, when it turned out she liked dames, she refused to invite any of them home for a threesome. I was seriously in danger of my own Great Depression.
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. And Eleanor's cooking.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 08 November, 2023, 01:23:17 pm »
<ignores self>
It is simpler than it looks.