Author Topic: Petzl CORE - solution to the three AAA cell problem?  (Read 3262 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Petzl CORE - solution to the three AAA cell problem?
« on: 29 June, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »
Randomly stumbled across this:

CORE and OS by Petzl | Petzl

It's a LiPo battery pack for the newer Tikka head torches.  Charges from a standard 5V / micro USB power source.  Provides regulated current at a level you can set using their software (to optimise light output for a known-duration activity), or emulates the discharge curve of an alkaline battery.  Weighs marginally less than 3xAAA Duracells.

The more I think about it, the more sensible a solution it seems.  USB power is as universal a standard you could wish for, and charging odd numbers of AAA cells on tour is a problem with a notable absence of elegant solutions.  Being able to control the regulated output is a bonus.  Most importantly, it's a clip-in replacement, so you can go back to using AAA cells in the field if necessary - much better than being tied into a proprietary rechargeable battery.

Update: Bought one of these cheaply last summer, review here.

Re: Petzl CORE - solution to the three AAA cell problem?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2011, 10:21:34 pm »
Interesting, though my longest camping trip where I needed a light* was 21 days, May in the western USA. I'm pretty sure 1 set of AAA's lasted for the entire trip.   A longer tour, or a winter trip and it would come into it's own, though £25 will buy a lot of AAA's

*Iceland was 4 weeks, but light at night wasn't a problem...

Edit

rockGrrl seems fairly impressed http://www.rockgrrl.com/blog/2010/11/petzl-core-review/

and not compatible with my old bog standard Tikka OutdoorsMagic  :(

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2011, 03:16:21 pm »
Yeah, the regulated output is more of a cycling (or climbing, running, or whatever) thing than a camping thing.  I like the idea of being able to optimise the output for night riding etc vs camping.  Solving the three-cell problem appeals to my sense of Proper Engineering Solutions more than anything else.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2011, 03:23:17 pm »
Solving the three-cell problem appeals to my sense of Proper Engineering Solutions more than anything else.

Can you molish something that will power a caravan to do 60mph for 12 hours at a time,twice a week for 6 months without recharging?
This would be of significant benefit to mrs. jogler
 ;) ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »
If you can supply the plutonium...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2011, 08:38:15 pm »
I'll get back to you on that....

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2011, 08:58:40 pm »
The three-cell problem is only a problem if you (1) charge cells at all and (2) don't have an independent cell charger.  While (2) shows an annoying lack in the market, (1) is a definite choice.  Also, charge 4 cells and then you've got one for the cheapo disposable MP3.  ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2011, 09:03:44 pm »
Also, charge 4 cells and then you've got one for the cheapo disposable MP3.  ;)

That only works properly if you've got an independent cell charger, or all cells are in the same state of discharge, though.

« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2011, 09:08:48 pm »

That only works properly if you've got an independent cell charger, or all cells are in the same state of discharge, though.

Just use 6 cells!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2011, 09:16:39 pm »

Just use 6 cells!
MOAR!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2011, 09:44:15 pm »

Just use 6 cells!
MOAR!

With all my electric gizmos, lights, spare lights and spare rechargable batteries that I take on rides, I can be carrying up to 8 rechargeable AAs, 8 rechargeable AAAs and the Li-Ion inside my Exposure light. Luckily, my Petzyl head torch lasts quite a long time with 3 alkalines. It doesn't get enough use to warrant rechargeables.
So, I could potentially be carrying 20 batteries on a tour.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #11 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:02:56 pm »
Significantly off-topic: Mods plz to move if appropriate.

My 12V, 1.3 Ah LeadAcid cells weigh 650g each.  My lights were visibly (?) flagging in the hour before dawn on the Tan Hill ride, as the cells were powering twin 6V LEDs at the front, and the same again at the rear.

I'm informed that there's a Li-Ion cell available, weighing 40g, rated at 3.6V, 1.8 Ah.  Two of those in series, and re-molish the various bikes' wiring looms so that the lights are in parallel, and I should have six-fold increase in energy-per-kilo, at the sole disadvantage of not having 12V available to blow up my airbed.

If said Li-Ion cell were USB-chargable too, I'd make the changeover straight away.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2011, 05:08:18 pm »
I'm informed that there's a Li-Ion cell available, weighing 40g, rated at 3.6V, 1.8 Ah. 
I use 18650s - I've just bought a pair of Yezl 3.7V 2.4Ah for £11. There are lots available on Ebay - but make sure you get branded one because some of the chinese ones come out of old laptop batterries.  Also make sure that they are internally protected - the cheapest aren't.

There's a useful site at www.torchythebatteryboy.com/.