Author Topic: Rope jumping. A worthwhile plyometric exercise?  (Read 2396 times)

Rope jumping. A worthwhile plyometric exercise?
« on: 05 September, 2020, 10:03:01 am »
I have started adding some "rope jumping" or skipping to my schedule.  i wanted something which I could do for a short period of time when I do not have time to run or cycle but which would get my heart rate up and use a few calories. 

I also read or heard on a podcast that plyometrics exercises were good for runners and cyclists in terms of economy and that skipping was a good plyometric.

I found it fascinating that it is now trendy and called "Rope jumping" with loads of videos about it.  The ropes are also made from wire with almost no weight to them and skinny handles.

I have been using it about twice a week for the last 3 weeks and can now string together 20 jumps in a run but usually manage 10-15 before I get out of time.  I have noticed I almost do a second bounce as i land which is not good but may help if I ever get fast enough!

Certainly brings the HR up.  Within a couple of minutes I am running at 135+ and can see 150+ in a longer run of jumps.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: Rope jumping. A worthwhile plyometric exercise?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2020, 03:24:17 pm »
I started skipping back in January, once I'd been signed off by my Oncologist.  There were a couple of reasons:
1. I'll have problems with bone density as time goes on, so it was a way of introducing light impact work.  I hadn't done much but cycle for a long time, so knees and ankles needed work.
2. It started the process of retraining my cardiovascular system in preparation for getting back on the bike, which I was told not to ride during my treatment.

I used basic interval methods - skip for a time period, then squats or planks, say, for an equal period.  My upper body strength was rubbish after surgery, so that had to be rebuilt as well, along with the physio exercises to maintain range of motion in chest, armpit and shoulders.  I got my sword and jo out and started doing basic kata again, in between skip sets. This was about half an hour, three times per week.

I watch my body like it's an experiment these days, probably related to the out-of-the-blue cancer diagnosis. I had no symptoms or warning signs, just a recall after my routine mammogram. Things I noticed when I started skipping were:
I got stronger from the toes on up.  Ankles started to stabilise, and calf muscles improved, then knees. By March I was back on the bike and not dying, although my first run over Edenfield I spent 45 minutes in Zone 5.
I wore my first skipping rope out in March. Don't buy expensive ones unless you're going all out for the weighted ones.
During lockdown, I took my 5km walk and started to jog a little, and now I run more than I walk on that loop.
Last Sunday I did my Edenfield ride again, and spent 20 minutes in Zone 5, and this morning my 5km took 43 minutes instead of 55, which is where I started.
I'm down to 77.8kg from 85 in January.

So skipping worthwhile? Yes, absolutely in my experience.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2020, 04:11:20 pm »
It’s just one of those things I have found hard to coordinate neurologically.

For that reason I would love to take it up as a personal challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2020, 05:01:34 pm »
It’s just one of those things I have found hard to coordinate neurologically.

For that reason I would love to take it up as a personal challenge.

I think that is part of my problem as well.  I can go for a few jumps and then either it comes round to quickly or not fast enough and i am almost tripping up over it.  I have never had good coordination so ball throwing for me is laughable!

As a quick HR elevating exercise which makes me bounce and fits in as an extra to my life it seems to be fun and worthwhile.

Also there is an app for my fenix 6 to log it!!

« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2020, 05:46:32 pm »
Out of idle curiosity I decided to see how much a skipping rope costs these days.  Imagine my shock to find skipping roped for £100!!!  I have a length of static climbing rope hanging around - I wonder if that will suffice?

« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2020, 05:54:18 pm »
£3.99 on my eBay.

« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2020, 06:37:45 pm »
You can get a Lonsdale branded one for just £3 from Sports Direct. 

Seems to me that there's money in old rope!

« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2020, 06:46:47 pm »
My 20 yr old rope failed at the start of lockdown, I couldn't go anywhere to buy a new one so started to use some old electric cable. Probably quite similar to a weighted rope and works ok for me. Very good at getting the heart and lungs pumping. I use it before running.

« Reply #8 on: 05 September, 2020, 06:51:44 pm »
I bought one at the start of lockdown. I quickly realised that my flat doesn't actually have any space suitable for skipping. :facepalm:

« Reply #9 on: 05 September, 2020, 07:20:31 pm »
You can get a Lonsdale branded one for just £3 from Sports Direct. 

Seems to me that there's money in old rope!
Smarter than the average

Ben T

« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2020, 11:20:59 pm »
You know there's a saying "buy from sports direct, buy twice"  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 06 September, 2020, 11:10:39 am »
You know there's a saying "buy from sports direct, buy twice"  ;D
There’s life affirmation going on here...

« Reply #12 on: 06 September, 2020, 11:22:10 am »
Well, considering that SD has the Lonsdale at half price perhaps I'll buy two.  😀

« Reply #13 on: 06 September, 2020, 12:44:17 pm »
I used to skip a lot.

Avoid the fancy-looking leather skipping ropes. They get twisted (even if the handles have ball bearings) and are too light for fast skipping. You need a bit of weight when swinging the rope. Never used wire but I bet it would have the same problems.

Best rope I've ever had was a length of rope - very supple 3-ply, about 8mm. Quite heavy, but that aided the exercise.

Climbing rope might work ok.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 06 September, 2020, 07:14:47 pm »
Avoid the fancy-looking leather skipping ropes. They get twisted (even if the handles have ball bearings) and are too light for fast skipping. You need a bit of weight when swinging the rope. Never used wire but I bet it would have the same problems.

Best rope I've ever had was a length of rope - very supple 3-ply, about 8mm. Quite heavy, but that aided the exercise.

That is interesting.  I bought a cheap one which is wire.  I find it gets twisted quite easily and does not keep a smooth arc.

« Reply #15 on: 08 September, 2020, 03:24:44 pm »
I think I also pulled my lower back being a bit enthusiastic. Settling now.

« Reply #16 on: 08 September, 2020, 03:47:33 pm »
And I’ve had to strap up my knee, hurt my left, big toe and have a minor sprain in my right hand.

Who thought this was a good idea?

« Reply #17 on: 08 September, 2020, 03:56:35 pm »
I suggest warming up - hop from one foot to the other, swinging slowly. Then switch to 2 feet. Slowly speed up. Keep jumps small and feet tight together.

On the foot to foot thing, it can be easier to lift the 'up' foot in front of you. Make a game of it, point toes out in front. Then switch to kicking up behind you.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #18 on: 08 September, 2020, 04:30:51 pm »
And I’ve had to strap up my knee, hurt my left, big toe and have a minor sprain in my right hand.

Lucky you weren’t skipping whilst in your bike

« Reply #19 on: 08 September, 2020, 05:08:05 pm »

Lucky you weren’t skipping whilst in your bike
I wouldn’t want to risk anything by doing something that nuts. Ban the damn things in the same way conkers was banned. Do not enjoy yourselves at the cost of your safety.

« Reply #20 on: 09 September, 2020, 09:15:05 am »
It's entirely possible to combine skipping and cycling. Watch and learn. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aav7J_S9ji0

« Reply #21 on: 09 September, 2020, 11:51:28 am »
I suggest warming up - hop from one foot to the other, swinging slowly. Then switch to 2 feet. Slowly speed up. Keep jumps small and feet tight together.

On the foot to foot thing, it can be easier to lift the 'up' foot in front of you. Make a game of it, point toes out in front. Then switch to kicking up behind you.

Sounds good advice and I also switched from my Hokas to a pair of Nike for the skipping so much more impact.