Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by Efrogwr on Today at 10:23:29 am »
Total nonsense. 2 examples. Library provision in lowland Scotland, all built by empire returnees.
Cotton printing industry in Lancashire built on cheap imported cotton.

Your second point; the cotton was cheap because it was grown by slaves. The export market was greatly expedited by the destruction of local industries in the stolen countries. In particular, weaving in Bengal.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 10:19:29 am »
Bodged a repair on a hose spray gun, pathetic piece of plastic inside the handle that was used to trigger the action via a little cam broke within a month.  Fixed with a strip of folded thin metal, stuck in place with silicon
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by Robh on Today at 10:18:11 am »
:-(
Wordle 1,052 X/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
The Knowledge / Re: Dustcap thread Selcoff thru axle?
« Last post by ravenbait on Today at 10:07:48 am »
They have spares for the axle, which is fine, but they don't do just the dustcap. Also, they don't even seem to sell this bike any more -- it's all Holdsworth stuff now. I've ordered a new front axle just because -- can't hurt to grab spares while they still have them -- but I figured if I could just replace the dustcap that would be ideal.

Sam
The Knowledge / Re: Dustcap thread Selcoff thru axle?
« Last post by Hot Flatus on Today at 10:05:23 am »
Have you tried PX for spares?
The Knowledge / Dustcap thread Selcoff thru axle?
« Last post by ravenbait on Today at 10:03:33 am »
Had a bit of a mare of a ride yesterday, but tl;dr snapped the dustcap off my front axle. I've managed to get the nub out, and my vernier measures it as 0.56mm in diameter at the threads. Does anyone know what the thread is actually supposed to be? I've spent too many hours lately trying to measure thread pitch and diameters for archery purposes (restoring an old Olympic Dream to get it shooting again), and I'm just at the point where I don't believe my measurements any more.

Sam
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Robh on Today at 10:03:02 am »
Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair - Nina Simone
OT Knowledge / Re: Apostophy?
« Last post by Pickled Onion on Today at 09:58:01 am »
N Yorkshire have banned apostrophes from their street names, saying

A spokesperson from North Yorkshire council added: “All punctuation will be considered but avoided where possible because street names and addresses, when stored in databases, must meet the standards set out in BS7666.

“This restricts the use of punctuation marks and special characters (eg apostrophes, hyphens and ampersands) to avoid potential problems when searching the databases as these characters have specific meanings in computer systems.”

Paragraph 1 is a simple LIE, BS7666 says nothing of the sort, and in fact all its examples have apostrophes in them. "Abbreviations and punctuation should not be used unless they appear in the designated name (e.g. ‘Earl’s Court Road’)."

Paragraph 2 makes my blood boil: if you're a programmer and you can't make your interface to the database work properly taking account of characters that have special meanings to your system, then you simply shouldn't be in your job. Changing the data to make your job easier is never the right answer.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/05/north-yorkshires-dropped-apostrophe-for-street-signs-upsets-residents
Racing / Re: Giro d'Italia 2024
« Last post by rafletcher on Today at 09:53:56 am »
Well that was a bit better.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: RIP Bernard Hill.
« Last post by rafletcher on Today at 09:53:21 am »
I always seem to confuse him with Bernard Cribbens! But I do recall the original Play for Today “The Blackstuff”. I enjoye£ that a lot, but never took to the later series.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10