Author Topic: England women's football team standard  (Read 6345 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: England women's football team standard
« Reply #25 on: 05 June, 2019, 11:44:31 am »
A mate of mine commented recently that why would he want to watch wimmin's footie - the standard was not great.

I pointed out that he's had no problem watching Crystal Palace ALL his life, so since when did the quality concern him  :-D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2019, 10:05:05 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/05/toni-duggan-equality-footballl-england-barcelona-womens-world-cup
Passion in Spain but not in England.

(and yes that url really does say "footballll")
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2019, 12:56:01 pm »
She's right about the crowds at womens games in England - if they are large they are made up of a lot of kids.
One possible reason why they might be larger in Spain is that they aren't just football clubs - they have all sorts of other sports under the same banner (eg basketball). As a result, fans get used to supporting their club in many different endeavours, and bring that passion with them to the womens game. It's only recently that the big mens clubs in England have had womens teams at all (with the honourable exception of Arsenal, who have had one for ages). I know people who go to womens football and who go to mens football, but I don't know anyone who goes to both.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #28 on: 06 June, 2019, 01:54:21 pm »
So Spanish fans will see women's football as a new sport for their club, alongside (men's) football, basketball, volleyball, whatever? In that case it might be seen as new rather than alternative, a new sport in its own right rather than a version of the established men's game. I suppose.

« Reply #29 on: 06 June, 2019, 03:42:07 pm »
So Spanish fans will see women's football as a new sport for their club, alongside (men's) football, basketball, volleyball, whatever? In that case it might be seen as new rather than alternative, a new sport in its own right rather than a version of the established men's game. I suppose.
It's just a theory. ;)

« Reply #30 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:33:28 pm »
For the sports that I follow I wouldn't care RE gender of players - but then I follow a small amount of sport on Free-to-view-TV.  I could see that if someone has reached capacity viewing on (say) Football, they might not be interested in moar (women's) football.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #31 on: 01 July, 2019, 10:22:37 am »
Don't the professionals play on the same full-size pitches as men?  If so, you would expect their game to be slower and with more space.  If you compare women's athletic records to men's, the women's records are roughly ten percent slower/shorter than the men's.  That's 10 metres in a 100 metre race or, possibly an easier example, Paula Radcliffe's superb World marathon record would see her finish THREE MILES behind the top man.  None of this diminishes the women's prowess in their sports.  I like to watch women's football BECAUSE it is slower.  I enjoy it for its own sake.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #32 on: 10 July, 2019, 05:12:37 pm »
To the OP.
The England women's elite would most like beat most U16 "Sunday League" male teams.
They would however be severely drubbed by an U16 Elite boys team.
Under 16 "boys" are knocking on the door of the Premier League.  Wayne Rooney was scoring goals against Arsenal at 16.

Football is extremely physical.  Pace counts for a lot.  Physical strength counts for a lot.

The women's team draws on a small base, the "boys" team draws on a huge base.  The 11 elite "boys" would probably all be quicker, taller, stronger and (yes) more naturally talented*

*A large participant base will produce more highly talented people.

But the women would beat a Sunday League team of U16 boys, possibly a fair few over 16 male teams.

I like watching the women's game precisely because they are slower and smaller.  It results in a much more open, flowing game.

The men's game is so breathtakingly fast that nobody has any time to do anything, Lionel Messi aside.

Also I do not think de Sisti's question is insulting if it was genuinely about assessing the level of the Women's game.

What amazes me is how good the English women are considering I have never seen any women playing the game on my local parks in 57 years.

Am I the only person who has never seen this?

In America the parks are full of women's games, have been for 26 years I'm aware of.  No surprise they are the best.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 10 July, 2019, 05:30:24 pm »
I may have posted this elsewhere in these pages.

Some time between 1981 and 1986 I was, for my sins, in charge of a junior school football team. It had always been made up entirely of boys. However, there was one particular top year girl who was big, strong and skilled. I selected her for the school team and she played on several occasions. Her name was Simone and that was usefully androgynous when the kids shouted out to each other. I heard the opposing parents asking one another "Is that a girl?" and so far as I am aware they never received a conclusive answer to their question.

The head teacher was a terribly fossilised old git, even by 1980s standards. He brought the matter up with me and I defended my decision strongly. I don't think he had any interest whatever in sport or football, he was just sexist or "traditionalist" as he would have put it. However, he knew me well enough that if he decided to overrule me in this matter, he would have had to find some other mug to run his school football team.

Maybe people who know better than I do (and that is pretty much anyone) can tell me what the FA rules were in the 1980s regarding girls and football. I seem to remember, since leaving full-time teaching, of incidents which, to my mind, have been blown up out of all proportion because somewhere in the rules of football it states that girls were not allowed to play and someone dared contravene that rule. It never came to that in the case I mention above. So far as I know, no-one complained and the issue was never raised.

Edit: I've found this https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/03/playing-with-the-boys-womens-football-fa which indicates that even as recenty as 2016 there were major issues with girls and boys playing together.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #34 on: 10 July, 2019, 06:04:18 pm »
From my friend Julie, who coaches Whitstable Town Girls team, in the 80s the FA didn't not allow girls to play footy. 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #35 on: 10 July, 2019, 06:58:31 pm »
I have very limited experience with football.  The  only teams I've ever been to see are Hartlepool Utd and Llandysul.  From what I saw of the England women they'd have had no trouble against either of them.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #36 on: 10 July, 2019, 07:01:39 pm »
But are school games under FA jurisdiction?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #37 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:00:08 pm »
But are school games under FA jurisdiction?

I understood that they are. Schools' football leagues, ultimately, subscribe to the FA.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #38 on: 11 July, 2019, 09:42:29 am »
What amazes me is how good the English women are considering I have never seen any women playing the game on my local parks in 57 years.

Am I the only person who has never seen this?

In America the parks are full of women's games, have been for 26 years I'm aware of.  No surprise they are the best.

There are a couple of girls teams affiliated to the local club. They are always adverting for players, so I think that recruitment is more of a problem than with the boys. This is a recent innovation though - when I was looking a few years ago there were no girls teams.

In the US, the huge driver was a rule called Title IX. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX
Essentially, if an educational institution spends money on the boys, it has to spend equal amount on the girls. This meant a massive increase in athletic scholarships for women (so as to not impact on the giant cash cow that is college football), and a significant number of these were in soccer. This cascaded down the pyramid as clubs sprang up to fill the need for scholarship level soccer players, and so now in the US soccer is played by many more girls than boys.

« Reply #39 on: 13 July, 2019, 11:32:09 am »
In the US, the huge driver was a rule called Title IX. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX
Essentially, if an educational institution spends money on the boys, it has to spend equal amount on the girls.
In case anyone missed the context, in the US you have the top tier league (akin to the Premiere league) and below that you have college level.  So that ruling would be akin to saying that in the UK all clubs outside of the premiere league would have to spend as much on women's teams as on men's teams.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace