Author Topic: Gloves capable of coping with freezing conditions???  (Read 13360 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Gloves capable of coping with freezing conditions???
« Reply #50 on: 11 January, 2021, 04:02:21 pm »
If you want better value for money and ones that’s do their job then look at mountaineering gloves (or mitts which have a greater warmth to weight ratio).

Here’s some mitts to consider

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/montane-extreme-mitts-p735 - This will see you from about 3C to -4C, £45

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/montane-icarus-xt-mitts-p858#attribute%5B3%5D=13 , this will see you from about 0c to -10c, £75 so slightly above price range. Gauntlet style so comes up fore arm.

What you’ll often find is that gloves are snug around the fingers with little air to insulate.  With mitts you get a greater volume of air and shared heat. The fingers are less constricted and have better circulation.

I have other gloves / mitts in my mountaineering collection but these are the ones I’ve been using on the bike of late.

I've found mountaineering winter gloves are so bulky they stop me using an ice axe; cannae fecking win can I!

The best poogies I've ever seen/heard of are incredibly simple.
Home made out of Bubble wrap.

Davef

« Reply #51 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:57:39 pm »
If you want better value for money and ones that’s do their job then look at mountaineering gloves (or mitts which have a greater warmth to weight ratio).

Here’s some mitts to consider

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/montane-extreme-mitts-p735 - This will see you from about 3C to -4C, £45

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/montane-icarus-xt-mitts-p858#attribute%5B3%5D=13 , this will see you from about 0c to -10c, £75 so slightly above price range. Gauntlet style so comes up fore arm.

What you’ll often find is that gloves are snug around the fingers with little air to insulate.  With mitts you get a greater volume of air and shared heat. The fingers are less constricted and have better circulation.

I have other gloves / mitts in my mountaineering collection but these are the ones I’ve been using on the bike of late.
The Montane ones are available at go outdoors too and slightly cheaper. I am a big montane fan, though the mitts I have are a different (possibly older) model that are a bit slippery for the bike.

« Reply #52 on: 23 January, 2021, 01:12:32 pm »
Thank you all for some great advice.  If choosing between Montane or Buffalo mitts - what's your decider?

simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #53 on: 23 January, 2021, 08:10:32 pm »
I've only used the Buffolo mitts, so sorry, but can't compare.
But I have had to buy some for my husband to stop him nicking mine!

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #54 on: 23 January, 2021, 09:39:47 pm »
If your not fussed about them being cycling specific (you mentioned it was for commuting) these are warm and come in just under your budget.

https://www.climbers-shop.com/21389/products/dachstein-gloves.aspx

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #55 on: 23 January, 2021, 09:48:15 pm »
I've never tried pogies (bar mitts) for cycling but back when I had a motorbike, they made far more difference, and far more cheaply, than any pair of gloves. I think it's basically because they act as a windshield and allow your hands to create their own little microclimate. So if you can get some that fit on drop bars and allow control of brakes and shifters (if you're using flat bars it's easy) I'd try those.

I have a set of Bar Mitts designed for drop bars. I used them on the Poor Student 200 a couple of years ago. Temperatures weren’t much above zero for most of the day but I found the Bar Mitts too warm. It’s astonishing how effective they are. I also didn’t much like the way they seriously limit your choice of hand positions. I wouldn’t recommend them except for seriously sub-zero conditions.

ETA: this is what I have - https://barmitts.com/products/road-bike-internally-routed-cables
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #56 on: 23 January, 2021, 09:50:42 pm »
The buffalo ones are more dexterous and come in that funky hiviz option.

« Reply #57 on: 23 January, 2021, 10:24:06 pm »
I have some Treckmates Gortex mitts which are great.  Mine were on a deal last year as I bought them in the summer.

https://www.trekmates.co.uk/chamonix-gtx-mitt

« Reply #58 on: 23 January, 2021, 10:56:56 pm »
For cheapskates like me (I usually wear Lidl/Aldi Ski gloves), Army surplus mittens (usually styled as German Army) for 15-20 quid were a revelation in winter warmth.  After experimenting with various grades of glove underneath (I don't own a pair that won't fit under them) I found that Silk liners were as good as anything and the lighter weight was an advantage for dexterity.  It helps that my cold weather bikes are bar-end or downtube shifters obvs.

« Reply #59 on: 24 January, 2021, 08:59:10 am »
Of the several sets of gloves I use for cold weather are Reusch Frank GTX* ski gloves, along with
some thin wool liners.

* Used by many continental cross-country skiers.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #60 on: 24 January, 2021, 10:23:04 am »

This was my decider. I don't like hivis, apart from in gloves.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #61 on: 24 January, 2021, 12:31:38 pm »
I've never tried pogies (bar mitts) for cycling but back when I had a motorbike, they made far more difference, and far more cheaply, than any pair of gloves. I think it's basically because they act as a windshield and allow your hands to create their own little microclimate. So if you can get some that fit on drop bars and allow control of brakes and shifters (if you're using flat bars it's easy) I'd try those.

I have a set of Bar Mitts designed for drop bars. I used them on the Poor Student 200 a couple of years ago. Temperatures weren’t much above zero for most of the day but I found the Bar Mitts too warm. It’s astonishing how effective they are. I also didn’t much like the way they seriously limit your choice of hand positions. I wouldn’t recommend them except for seriously sub-zero conditions.

ETA: this is what I have - https://barmitts.com/products/road-bike-internally-routed-cables
How did they react to side winds? It's a problem someone mentioned somewhere above. And I hate side winds as it is.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 24 January, 2021, 12:38:25 pm »
HK has a set of Pogies for her flatbar commuter and loves them when it gets well below zero (not needed them for a few years now). She didn’t mention any wind issues.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #63 on: 24 January, 2021, 01:01:40 pm »
Those are the ones I bought several years ago, and only needed to use a few times.  Sidewinds - some people are more sensitive to things than others, I don't remember any problems.  I don't think they cannot be different to a barbag in a sidewind, which doesn't bother me either  --  except the wind which I too hate..
Heat - I bought the ones for Shimano external cables even though I use Campag Ergo.  This means I have the potential for some ventilation by opening those flaps.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #64 on: 24 January, 2021, 01:12:35 pm »
Sidewinds are noticeable if riding no hands, or one handed. Other than that, not really a problem.
If a bit too warm, can ride with hands outside the mitts. ie on the tops, or ends of the drops.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #65 on: 24 January, 2021, 01:36:10 pm »
How did they react to side winds? It's a problem someone mentioned somewhere above. And I hate side winds as it is.

I don't remember that being a problem, but maybe that's just because it wasn't a windy day. (It would have been the 2017 edition, so if anyone has any recollection of what the weather was like for that one...)

I'm not sure I've used them since then. They're in a cupboard somewhere gathering dust.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #66 on: 24 January, 2021, 01:45:15 pm »
2017 Poor Student was mild and not windy at all.

« Reply #67 on: 24 January, 2021, 02:40:00 pm »
Bar mitts such as HotPogs (made in Nottingham) are absolutely fine on flat bars in windy weather, because they are cutting edge into the wind.
I'm 74 and have arms like twigs, so I would notice a problem.
I love my Hotpogs. I  can add or remove other gloves and stash them inside the pogs. Mine have extra little pockets underneath for goodies, routesheets etc. Husbands have clear pockets on top for a map. I use them on and off road, and for MTBO events. As Fuadran says, if your hands do get too hot you can rest them on the tops as long as you know your road and aren't likely to need your brakes in a hurry.  My hands are very clumsy due to arthritis, but I have no problems getting my hands in or out of the pogs quickly.

I did try a pair of mitts from another company, allegedly suitable for drop bars. 
Well they fitted, but being broadside on to the wind, they made the bike unsteerable. Only used them once and binned them as dangerous.

« Reply #68 on: 24 January, 2021, 06:47:52 pm »

This was my decider. I don't like hivis, apart from in gloves.
High vis and dexterity are good selling points - unfortunately doesn't appear to be available online.

« Reply #69 on: 24 January, 2021, 07:29:42 pm »
If you don’t mind non hiviz , a quick peruse reveals they are available. The hiviz ones were readily available when first mentioned in thread  ;D

« Reply #70 on: 24 January, 2021, 07:57:08 pm »
Bar mitts such as HotPogs (made in Nottingham)
I keep thinking of trying those and every time I do they have zero stock, I'm sure they must have some in between times, I've just never seen any. Maybe I should set a reminder to look in the middle of summer.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #71 on: 24 January, 2021, 08:16:35 pm »
I have some Mountain Wearhouse special offer ski mitts which I wear with liner gloves

Maybe it's colder where you live but really this can cope with any temperature

« Reply #72 on: 24 January, 2021, 11:01:59 pm »
^ On the bike I'm fine, when it's winter I have lobster gloves from PX that did me fine.  But a couple days ago (before the snow) my fingers went white taking the kids to the park, looked a lot like raynaud's, so I'm stepping it up a gear.

« Reply #73 on: 25 January, 2021, 01:54:00 pm »
I've just had a look at the HotPogs website, and as Paul H says, they don't seem to have any stock.
Sorry, no idea why. Possibly staff off due to covid? I'm not connected to the firm other than as a customer

« Reply #74 on: 26 January, 2021, 10:53:03 am »
I have put a new pair of Medium Altura Night Vision 5 in the sales.
Never knowingly under caffeinated