Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389892 times)

LindaG

Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #200 on: 14 November, 2011, 01:00:44 pm »
Good - after a three month wait, Tees Time To Talk have been in touch to arrange an appointment.

Bad - they're a week too late.  I met the solicitor-appointed therapist for the first time last week  ::-)

If I'd been given two thermarests within a week, that would've been much better.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #201 on: 15 November, 2011, 11:45:06 am »
Trousers down in the doctor's being examined. Her first words:

"Oh that is a big one"  ;)

Bad news: she was looking at my hernia :(

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #202 on: 15 November, 2011, 10:53:48 pm »
Good news: Booked on a scenic landcruise railtour to Scotlandland.
Bad news: the route has changed to avoid the bits I really wanted to do.(*)

(*) And the railtour organisers haven't let on. I found out by interrogating some signalbox computers.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #203 on: 16 November, 2011, 11:23:33 am »

(*) And the railtour organisers haven't let on. I found out by interrogating some signalbox computers.

Is that "insider dealing" Rower? :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #204 on: 16 November, 2011, 12:01:31 pm »
Actually, that's a good point... I was after that Rower chappy for advance warning of what flavour of train would be likely to turn up on Friday so that I can avoid having to run the length of a platform with 2 boys, one (possibly 2) bike and Luggage....

*scurries off to PM*

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #205 on: 16 November, 2011, 04:57:34 pm »

Just out of interest, what was the original route? Just askin', like ...

Good news: had a job interview today
Bad news: I went in at 1030, and finally left at 1445 :o

Actually, the bad news isn't that bad 'cos much of the time was spent discussing the projects that they're interested in doing, including an iPad app which has massive potential (IMO, at least). A worse bit of 'bad news' is that if I get the job, I'll have to start using .NET  :-\

Not that I mind - I'd rather spend my redundancy money on n+1 or similar, rather than using it to pay bills whilst I'm on the dole.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #206 on: 18 November, 2011, 10:49:20 am »
I've just been into the shopping centre of town, and found that the "christmas market" is already up. Rows of mock-Bavarian wooden booths selling sausages, toffee apples, gluhwein and tat. It depressed me. I went to Curry's to get an arsecarton bumbox, got there at 9:45 and it was still closed. Wandered around indoor part of shopping centre for a quarter of an hour till they opened. More depressed.

But then on the way home I popped into Oswald Bailey and their radio was playing Come Up And See Me, and I began to feel better. And now I'm at home listening to R3 on my arsecarton, for a while, and I've got a mug of tea and new socks so it's better.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #207 on: 18 November, 2011, 12:41:31 pm »
The good: Had an email back regarding Wednesday's epic interview - there's a definite expression of interest.
The bad: They've got another candidate to interview  so I won't know either way until Thursday or Friday of next week.

Hey ho.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #208 on: 18 November, 2011, 12:42:48 pm »
Thumbs held for you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #209 on: 18 November, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »
The good: Had an email back regarding Wednesday's epic interview - there's a definite expression of interest.
The bad: They've got another candidate to interview  so I won't know either way until Thursday or Friday of next week.

Hey ho.

Fingers crossed, it's bloody horrible when that happens, fair enough if they tell you from the outset, but a pig when they give you that info after the fact.  I have, on occasion, been told, either just before or during the interview, that there others to be interviewed after me.  Sometimes I have to wait, other times (as with my current job) the employer cancels the other interviews.

Hope it's good news, but in the meantime GET OUT ON YOUR BIKE.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #210 on: 18 November, 2011, 01:36:51 pm »

Hey ho.

Fingers crossed, it's bloody horrible when that happens, fair enough if they tell you from the outset, but a pig when they give you that info after the fact.  I have, on occasion, been told, either just before or during the interview, that there others to be interviewed after me.  Sometimes I have to wait, other times (as with my current job) the employer cancels the other interviews.
I already knew they had someone else to talk to, but I got the impression that this person wasn't what you'd call local.

I don't have a problem with them interviewing this other candidate, after all it's only fair and if I was in their position I'd probably do the same, but it's still a bit annoying that I've got (potentially) at least another week of having to talk to bloody slave traders. The conversations are becoming so predictable that I've been extremely tempted to have my side of a typical conversation as a voicemail message, with appropriate pauses for them to say their bit :)

Hope it's good news, but in the meantime GET OUT ON YOUR BIKE.....
There is that.
One of the good things about this job is that my commute will effectively double in length, and lacking a car the bike is the only real option as the bus takes an hour(!) and the timings first thing are somewhat erratic.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #211 on: 18 November, 2011, 09:20:14 pm »

Is that "insider dealing" Rower? :)
In a "read-only" way.  Hacking same computers to put the train back on its original advertised route would have been VERY NAUGHTY and probably have led to inquiry and dismissal; not only that, but the signaller would have just cancelled the signals, and put it back to where it's now meant to go.

Just out of interest, what was the original route? Just askin', like ...

Worcester, Birmingham, Derby, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Polmont, Stirling, Alloa, Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath, Ladybank, Dundee.  Short pause.  Dundee, Ladybank, Kirkcaldy, Inverkeithing, Edinburgh, then back as per outward.

New route (after Edinburgh) is Polmont, Stirling, Perth (break), Ladybank, Kirkcaldy and back as original. The highlight of the route was to have been the not-open-to-passengers bit from Alloa to Dunfermline.

Actually, the highlight will be the company.

And Fingers Crossed for your interview.

« Reply #212 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:03:26 pm »
The good: I'll start working 4 days a week instead of 3(=33% more income before tax), with a more interesting job.
The bad: my commute will go from ~60km to <4km. Just commuting this year got me close to 7000km. I'll have to make an effort again to stay in shape.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #213 on: 11 December, 2011, 08:02:22 pm »
Good news: I came second and first in my two classes with the horse today at a local little competition.   :thumbsup:

Bad news: The second class, where I came first, was one of the worst shows I've EVER done! Giles went into the arena having warmed up beautifully and went "canter? I don't do that and you can't make me".  He was right, I couldn't!  The only reason I got the first rosette was because I was the only competitor in my section...lol!   :facepalm:

To be fair to him, it's the first time we've competed after dark and while the arena was lit, it was quite shadowy and strange. 

I did however win the best Christmas-decorated hat  :thumbsup:

« Reply #214 on: 11 December, 2011, 08:14:17 pm »
 :thumbsup:Yay!

When I was having lessons a few years back, we used to have a Christmas gymkhana for the last lesson before Christmas. Lots of fun, even though I was generally rubbish, whatever horse they put me on! I often acheived a brisk amble at best.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #215 on: 14 December, 2011, 05:33:07 pm »
I haz new doors! \0/

Unfortunately I didn't realise they were unfinished. This means I must DIY - varnish :(

Especially the bathroom door which is a stoopid size and the joiner had to cut the veneer entirely off the hinge and leading edges, meh.
Better do something with that before the moisture gets in and the whole thing goes 'woof'.  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

PaulF

« Reply #216 on: 17 December, 2011, 06:24:56 pm »
Good news: I'm not allergic to the Christmas Tree.

Bad news: the sneezing etc. is a cold which which has migrated to my cheat and means I'm a DNS for the race tomorrow :(

« Reply #217 on: 17 December, 2011, 06:41:25 pm »

Bad news: the sneezing etc. is a cold which which has migrated to my cheat and means I'm a DNS for the race tomorrow :(

Mistype for chest, or cleat?  I've never heard of cleats getting infections, mind...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #218 on: 17 December, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »
Good news: my lower back is getting better.

Bad news: no exercise involving back extension, i.e. rowing or cycling, for another month.
Running is okay (oh good-o, my favourite.  ::-)

PaulF

« Reply #219 on: 17 December, 2011, 09:09:46 pm »

Mistype for chest, or cleat?  I've never heard of cleats getting infections, mind...

Well cleat infection would be a good excuse but.....

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #220 on: 18 December, 2011, 08:26:18 am »
Good news: my lower back is getting better.

Bad news: no exercise involving back extension, i.e. rowing or cycling, for another month.
Running is okay (oh good-o, my favourite.  ::-) )
GWS.
Keep going with the core stability exercises.

« Reply #221 on: 18 December, 2011, 07:39:37 pm »
Bad news: I've splashed wood rot hardener on my glasses.
Good news: I can still see.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #222 on: 03 January, 2012, 02:39:48 pm »
Bad news first......I've been out on my bike ::-)

Good news ..... I've seen a nice Honda Goldwing for sale in Stone :demon:

« Reply #223 on: 03 January, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »
Looking for a bigger vehicle to tow the caravan?  ::-)

« Reply #224 on: 03 January, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »
Bad news first......I've been out on my bike ::-)

Ooh, I like those :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.