Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 396720 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #525 on: 16 May, 2012, 01:05:11 pm »
Couldn't you just use four or six of anything?
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #526 on: 16 May, 2012, 06:18:47 pm »
Good news:

My daughter just emailed me a link to a Sky News bulletin in which she was interviewed as the CRUK representative to talk about the prostate cancer drug on which NICE have done a U-turn.

Bad news: By the time I'd got round to linking to it on this thread, she'd been edited out, the video had been changed and there was no point.

Bad news: she's "quoted" in the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2144957/New-cancer-drugs-held-NHS-years-rationing-body-accused-letting-patients.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Good news: they made it all up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #527 on: 17 May, 2012, 08:40:09 pm »
Good News: We're getting a John Lewis!
Bad News: because the council approved the plan for the new Monks Cross development, with the resultant extra traffic, and sucking-more-life-out-of-the-city-centre.

I'd love a John Lewis to browse in, but not if I have to ride fecking miles out of town on crap roads or cycle routes.  :-\
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #528 on: 17 May, 2012, 09:33:00 pm »
Bad news: the suction system of the toilets on the research vessel I'm on has broken mid-cruise so none of the toilets will flush.   :sick:   

Good news: it's not my job to fix it   :hand:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #529 on: 17 May, 2012, 10:51:31 pm »
Bad news: the suction system of the toilets on the research vessel I'm on has broken mid-cruise so none of the toilets will flush.   :sick:   

Good news: it's not my job to fix it   :hand:

The silly buckets on the deck
That had so long remained...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #530 on: 17 May, 2012, 11:47:56 pm »
Bad news:  Mysterious crashy PogoPlug gremlin I've been chasing turns out to be related to uber packet loss on the downstairs ethernet segment.  On performing a level 2 diagnostic[1], the downstairs switch was determined to be making cute whistling noises in time with the packet flow, and emitting ozone.

Good news: I had a 24 port 10/100 managed switch on the shelf that doesn't smell of anything.  Swapping it in appears to have restored normal service.

[1] ie. "stop mucking about with syslog and ping and get off your arse and look at the blinkenlights"

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #531 on: 18 May, 2012, 11:58:11 am »

As a mathematician I'm contractually required to use a '5' every so often, there's a law about that sort of thing.  Now, if I was an engineer...   :demon:

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #532 on: 18 May, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »
Good News: Tomorrow I pick up my new Audiolab 8200CD player which I paid £££££s for.
Bad News: Yesterday I fixed the broken cd player it was bought to replace.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #533 on: 18 May, 2012, 12:41:13 pm »

As a mathematician I'm contractually required to use a '5' every so often, there's a law about that sort of thing.  Now, if I was an engineer...   :demon:

Could you not just use (10/2) whenever you need a 5. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #534 on: 18 May, 2012, 01:40:05 pm »
Bad News: Work is the shittiest it has ever been, for this employer, today.  I feel like crying and telling them to shove their job where the sun don't shine

Good News: the only reason I haven't done the last bit is that I am now officially on holiday for a week, so they can go and whistle as far as I am concerned :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #535 on: 18 May, 2012, 03:06:32 pm »
Good news: I've finally been able to order a Raspberry Pi.
Bad news: Estimated lead time is currently 3 weeks, and the order is limited to one per customer. The latter is a pain because my plans to build a Raspberry Pi compute cluster1 require at least 10 of them.

1 - just because. Whilst the resulting assemblage will likely have less computing power than the iMac I'm currently using, it'll be a bit of a flashback to my last-but-one job where I designed, amongst other things, HPC clusters.

LindaG

« Reply #536 on: 18 May, 2012, 06:26:34 pm »
Good news:  I finally rode my route to work.  First time in nearly a year and a half.  Hilariously, I nearly got left-hooked at teh site of my accident.

Bad news:  I've remembered how completely grim the route is.  I'm not sure it's worth an extra 10 minutes in bed to take the shortest route to work, through the nastiest part of a nasty town.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #537 on: 18 May, 2012, 06:43:18 pm »
Good News: It's Friday.  It the weekend.  The Cubs are home.

Bad News: I am so tired that it hurts.  Pass me the duvet?  And maybe the gin....

Even Betterer News:  Who cares! Because

Good news:  I finally rode my route to work.  First time in nearly a year and a half.

hurray hurray hurrah huzzah!  Well done. 

*feels ver' ver' proud of her friend*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #538 on: 18 May, 2012, 06:44:42 pm »
That's great news, LG! :D
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #539 on: 18 May, 2012, 07:01:24 pm »
Good news:  I finally rode my route to work.  First time in nearly a year and a half.

:thumbsup:
rock-on LG

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #540 on: 18 May, 2012, 07:06:15 pm »
Good news:  I finally rode my route to work. First time in nearly a year and a half.

\o/

Quote from: Lindagordinho
  Hilariously, I nearly got left-hooked at teh site of my accident.

There's always one ne >:( - At least you made it passed them in one piece :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LindaG

« Reply #541 on: 18 May, 2012, 07:06:57 pm »
 :-[ :-[ :-[

Gosh, thanks chaps!   :-*

« Reply #542 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:57:42 pm »
Good news - I got an official "Thank You" from my manager for staying behind to help sort out a major problem earlier in the week.  :thumbsup:

Ban news - The team leader came off a call with a face like death earlier, and there are rumours going around that we are losing 4 people and the rest of us will have to pick up the work  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #543 on: 24 May, 2012, 02:11:18 pm »
Good News- my foot is being fixed tomorrow :) :) :) :)

Bad News- not looking forward to the pain, the weeks in plaster and I'm scared of having a GA as it all went horrendously wrong last time.

The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #544 on: 24 May, 2012, 04:24:10 pm »
Bad news: my horse has ulcers, confirmed by gastroscopy today

Good news: we know what it is and the treatment can therefore be started :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #545 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:20:44 pm »
Bad news - I only just got back from work, due to working a bit late, having a natter, and then being unable to get out of the building to the bike shed because of doors being locked, then being unable to get out of the grounds due to gates being locked.

Good news - Friday commute onna Thursday, and the ride home was blooming lovely.  And never mind POETS day - for complimacated reasons, the weekend starts here!

« Reply #546 on: 24 May, 2012, 10:23:23 pm »
Good news - the school where I am a governor has been included in the Priority Schools building program, really needed in one of the most deprived areas of the country after the previous program was axed.

Bad news - more than half the schools that applied many of who will have been in similar dire straits have not been successful

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #547 on: 25 May, 2012, 12:20:16 am »
Good news: Quality cycling weather set to continue all weekend.

Bad news: Barakta and I will be spending most of it indoors, at the Deaf Film and TV festival in Wolverhampton.

Good news: I suppose it should provide a welcome break from the hayfever, though.

Bad news: My BSL is so rusty I'll probably have a splitting headache after the first hour.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #548 on: 25 May, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »
Bad News ; the warm weathe rcausesd an unpleasant aroma to emenate from the bins.

Good News : marj has relocated the bins away from the patio nearest the kitchen to that part of the side of the house that is almost permenantly in shade.Cooler & no detectable aroma.

More Good News : the resulting space on the patio is ideal for accommodating a turbo or rollers

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #549 on: 01 June, 2012, 12:46:38 pm »
Good News: My dad gave me his old car, gratis, in case we had to move out of Bristol and couldn't go car free

Bad News: Said new car is leaking oil. And needs a new tyre. And the rear windscreen wiper doesn't work. And there's a cassette jammed in the tape deck (Good news: can still get radio 4).

Ungrateful? Moi?! ;D
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)