Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389756 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #950 on: 15 February, 2013, 12:01:45 am »
Good news: The emergency eye surgery in Liverpool last week seems, according to the Eye Guy today, to have repaired the retinal tear.

Bad News: It is still Haemorrhaging so when I go back to Liverpool in a week or so they might want to do more surgery. This involves Needles and eyeballs so I am a little.... nervous?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #951 on: 15 February, 2013, 12:17:56 am »
Bastards!  I can't imagine that making things any drier...

Lasers++ though.  They make everything better.

Yes, my Raspberry Pi is now significantly more water resistant than my car. Also I've contributed to the large amount of broken glass on the streets of Birmingham :(

Seems a lot of effort to go to for a chamois sponge doodad. *sigh*

Still, better than haemorrhaging eyes, though. GWS, Pedaldog.

« Reply #952 on: 15 February, 2013, 08:47:49 am »
I'm off to frogland tonight, driving up a mountain to ski....Yayyyyyyyy!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

It looks like fog and mist across the whole of France, tonight, booooooooo :(

(yes that could be fogland, it was deliberate)

« Reply #953 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:38:40 am »
Good news: The lump in my armpit that's been there a month or so is a sebaceous cyst, so I don't need to worry about it.

Bad news: The mole I had not really been worried about but thought I should tell the doc about while I was there has 3 of the potentially cancerous signs, so will be getting fast track referral to dermatologist for suspected melanoma within 2 weeks. Bugger. TBH I'm not that worried really, but maybe I should be!

« Reply #954 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:43:16 am »
TBH, Sounds all good from here, with the mole at least you've caught it and it is easy to deal with - very pleased for you, those things can be very worrying

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #955 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:44:26 am »
Bad News: Scorched MDF really, really stinks.
That'll be the formaldehyde.
I still don't understand why certain organic compounds are called 'aromatic' - they very rarely are1, especially after you set fire to them.

1 - notable exceptions being esters and certain ketones.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #956 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:51:22 am »
Formaldehyde isn't aromatic.

Most of the esthers and ketones you do like the smell of also lack the required benzene ring.

Edit: the simplest aromatic aldehyde is Benzaldehyde, which doesn't smell too bad (almonds). 
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #957 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:52:07 am »
TBH, Sounds all good from here, with the mole at least you've caught it and it is easy to deal with - very pleased for you, those things can be very worrying

All that.  There's a reason for fast track referral - it means things are easy to deal with and excise completely.
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #958 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:58:19 am »
Formaldehyde isn't aromatic.

Most of the esthers and ketones you do like the smell of also lack the required benzene ring.
My apologies - A-level chemistry was over 20 years ago, and whilst I did play with organic compounds during my PhD I was more interested in how well they exploded rather than the nicities of their molecular structure.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #959 on: 15 February, 2013, 01:23:41 pm »
GN: No more HellDesk duty

BN: ... until next week.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #960 on: 15 February, 2013, 01:30:55 pm »
Bad news: The mole I had not really been worried about but thought I should tell the doc about while I was there has 3 of the potentially cancerous signs, so will be getting fast track referral to dermatologist for suspected melanoma within 2 weeks. Bugger. TBH I'm not that worried really, but maybe I should be!
The apple-core sampling usually removes the growth entirely - so just the test usually gets rid of these.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #961 on: 15 February, 2013, 04:15:56 pm »
I'm, unusually, riding both ways today. So I took the ridgeback rather than the folder as it is more fun.

Bad news: I've not quite internalized the new bar end shifters. At the start of the short steep trafficy hill I went onto the big ring instead of the small.  :-[

Good news: I was half way up before it occurred to me that I'd done something silly and got the rest of the way without correcting it or stopping.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #962 on: 16 February, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »
Good news: it was a lovely almost-3-days being visited by Woolly & Peli.

Bad news: they caught the 2.12 train from Prittlewell and will now be whizzing past Ally Pally or somewhere like that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #963 on: 19 February, 2013, 02:39:33 pm »
Good news: the LBS have now taken delivery of the new brakes for the Genesis singlespeed :thumbsup:

Bad news: Won't be able to pick the (hopefully)de-shrieked bike until Friday - LBS is shut Wednesdays and there's not enough time on Thursday to pick the bike up from the LBS and get back in time to get my train up to Northallerton for the pub run.

Good news: the weekend riding should be blessedly free of brakes which shriek so much they scare children and bruise fruit.

EDIT: Just got an email from the LBS to say the bike is ready ... still can't pick it up 'til Friday though :( On the plus side, it now has matching green valve caps as well as new brakes ;D :thumbsup:

« Reply #964 on: 23 February, 2013, 06:07:32 pm »
Good news - I found my stainless steel flask, I hadn't seen it since a ride in January!

Bad news -  The remnants of some sweetened black coffee was in there. When I opened it some sort of visible gas leaked out...... :o   It's now having a soak in some Milton....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #965 on: 23 February, 2013, 06:11:11 pm »
Good news: I found my spoke key (in the drawer with the other bike tools ::-)).

Bad news: I'd already bought a set of three more spoke keys. I still can't find my merino buff, and now a pack of spoke reflectors has disappeared too. I swear there are gremlins in the house. >:(

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #966 on: 23 February, 2013, 06:28:13 pm »
Good news: I'm being made redundant and have ordered a Sherpa from Thorn as retail therapy and so I can ride it round Patagonia and other interesting places.
Bad news: There isn't any.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

LindaG

« Reply #967 on: 23 February, 2013, 06:29:41 pm »
Good news: I'm being made redundant and have ordered a Sherpa from Thorn as retail therapy and so I can ride it round Patagonia and other interesting places.

Git.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #968 on: 23 February, 2013, 06:34:31 pm »

Rock on :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #969 on: 23 February, 2013, 06:42:52 pm »
Good news: Salsa are releasing a carbon fat-bike later this year ....
Bad news: Frame and forks, $2600 (so £2600, in other words)  :o

Anyone wanna buy a Pugsley? :)

LindaG

« Reply #970 on: 23 February, 2013, 06:46:44 pm »

Who you going with? And when?

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #971 on: 24 February, 2013, 09:59:47 am »
Dunno when, might be jan or feb 2014, and probably alone. Want to improve my spanish first, that is why i did gibraltar to madrid in january.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #972 on: 24 February, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »
Good - there is sun streaming into the room.
Bad - the windows are filthy, I obv need to phone the cleaning co and give them a kick up the jacksie again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #973 on: 26 February, 2013, 06:24:04 pm »
I don't know if this is good news or bad news.

Todays's full value for money haircut has solicited the comment that I'm developing a mallen streak :-\

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #974 on: 26 February, 2013, 06:40:18 pm »
You are John Shirley Quirk AICMFP!

Bad news: when I woke up this morning there was something unexpected in my mouth. It turned out to be a sliver of tooth which has broken off in the night.

Good news: by coincidence I had arranged a dental checkup for 10.45 this morning. I had my checkup and the tooth filled and the dentist didn't charge me a penny.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.