Author Topic: Computer stalling on start up  (Read 1997 times)

Computer stalling on start up
« on: 03 January, 2010, 03:45:40 pm »
Hello,
Right, the main computer has gone again. The PSU went before, which also sort of took out the motherboard. At first it wouldnt fire up at all when we put in the new power supply. Took it to the computer shop, they ran some checks and its been sort of fine since. Turn it on, it would freeze, so you turned it off then turned it straight back on and it came straight on.
Now, it comes on to the windows bit with the scrolling bar, where it will sit and just freeze.
Is this the final leg for the computer?
In the pc shop they had some computers(tower only) for £69 second hand from a business.
My dad seems to think that whatever is on this computer will need to go onyo the new one. But as i see it, nothing from this one needs to go on that requires the old computer to go in.
Any suggestipns of what the problem could be? If i have explained it well enough?

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Re: Computer stalling on start up
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »
I had a pc with failing ram.   Sometimes it would start, sometimes not at all.   Soon as I put new ram in it worked just dandy.

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »
Just managed to get it started up. Finally.
I think we have some RAM knocking about somewhere, so ill put that in on tuesday/weds and see how it goes.
One thing i have noticed, is the 'virtual memory' is getting full quick, but then other times it doesnt.
Does this give any ideas to what it could be?
Virus scanned at least once a week, defragged about the same aswell and CCleaner run just before being shut down.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2010, 04:21:04 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2010, 04:39:59 pm »
Try running a memory test

I think I have RAM problems - recommend me a RAM tester, please

Clicked the one that sent me here* and it looks abit complicated. Is it? Or is it just a press of a button and a rescan?
Im tempted to do it, but i will probably have to restart the computer, and i can see it not coming back on.
So ill give it a go tomorrow.
Any more suggestions?

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2010, 04:41:04 pm »
It's very easy but you will have to restart the computer.  Twice.