Author Topic: Camping at PBP  (Read 1415 times)

Camping at PBP
« on: 29 May, 2023, 10:51:40 pm »
I've committed to PBP now (my first (only?) one!) so I guess it's time to organise my accommodation and travel now :D
I've booked a hotel room in Buc (near Versailles // free cancellation) for before and after PBP; but I was wondering if camping would be an option? I think I would prefer it, tbh. I see that Rambouillet Huttopia has spots available and there is also a rustic campground (which requires email enquiries) in Cernay-la-Ville, but do the PBP organisers arrange anything for participants who want to camp? There is frustratingly little info on the PBP website. Interestingly there was an option for "camping parking 18th-25th August" on the registration page, but no other info besides that, so I didn't pay the extra 30euros. Thanks in advance!

Re: Camping at PBP
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2023, 02:32:20 pm »
Update - I've decided to go for a hotel stay for both before and after PBP - I'll be staying in Chaville, which is convenient for trains to Rambouillet, central Paris (Montparnasse and Saint Lazare) and also Versailles (never been, I'd like to see the Palace :P )

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2023, 03:09:11 pm »
Yeah, now I have my 4 qualifiers in the bag I should probably think about making arrangements.

for 3 years I've been keen to ride PBP again, now it is a reality I'm not sure I'm feeling it.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2023, 03:52:48 pm »
Update - I've decided to go for a hotel stay for both before and after PBP - I'll be staying in Chaville, which is convenient for trains to Rambouillet, central Paris (Montparnasse and Saint Lazare) and also Versailles (never been, I'd like to see the Palace :P )

Book to go and see the palace.  The gardens are free tho.

« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2023, 09:33:29 pm »
Yeah, now I have my 4 qualifiers in the bag I should probably think about making arrangements.

for 3 years I've been keen to ride PBP again, now it is a reality I'm not sure I'm feeling it.

You can ponder it over next week. No rush for you to register. It’s okay to decide not to go, it’s not an obligation if you get a qualifying SR.

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2023, 07:47:15 am »
In 2015 I stayed at two different F1 hotels before and after the event, carrying all my stuff on the event; in 2019 I was very fortunate to stay with Gattopardo, so only carried what I thought I needed. I’ve thought about camping, although I never sleep well, unless really tired, but then I’d be lugging my camping stuff on the 400km round trip from Dieppe (ferry booked).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2023, 05:45:05 pm »

You can ponder it over next week. No rush for you to register. It’s okay to decide not to go, it’s not an obligation if you get a qualifying SR.
I think the ride is appealing, it's sorting out the logistics that is putting me off, and I still have multiple rides before PBP needing sorting out. Do I drive there, cycle there, take the train etc etc. how much accommodation time to book before and after. where to leave the car if I drive, where to leave a bike box if I fly or take the train, storing panniers etc from the ride down. Can I get a bag drop to save carrying 4 days of kit.

4 years ago I just went with Baxters and it was zero hassle, but it seems they have ceased trading. Perhaps Mr Baxter retired.

riding to/from is looking more appealing especially as there will likely be many people on that plan, even though 4 years ago I certainly didn't fancy riding back to the coast after finishing.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2023, 06:37:29 pm »
I found riding to and from extended the holiday, and not turning them into DIYs made them feel more like leisure rides. Logistics are not my thing either, which is why I’m not thinking about whether to camp or hotel (cheap!) yet.

« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2023, 07:49:04 pm »
The logistics are piss easy for those of us in the south of England though. You make it sound like you’re trying to arrange the delivery of 2,000 parcels to 1,700 locations in the minimum distance and vans possible.

« Reply #9 on: 31 May, 2023, 08:00:04 pm »
The logistics are piss easy for those of us in the south of England though. You make it sound like you’re trying to arrange the delivery of 2,000 parcels to 1,700 locations in the minimum distance and vans possible.
🤣