Author Topic: London-Wales-London  (Read 67609 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: London Wales London (Severn Across as was...)
« Reply #50 on: 02 October, 2016, 04:45:14 pm »
4am "re-start" is fine; you know it will be light pretty soon, and get to see the dawn - surely the one USP of a 400km event!

Many of us aim for pre-dawn starts on the 3-5 day events. (not always feasible, but, hey ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 03 October, 2016, 01:19:23 pm »
For a 400 with a 6am start, I would aim to ride through without a sleep stop.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #52 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:30:01 pm »
For a 400 with a 6am start, I would aim to ride through without a sleep stop.

Agreed. I like to ride through then have a couple of hours' kip before setting off for home. Although I came to regret it the first time I rode Severn Across.  After a few teas at the finish, I climbed into my sleeping bag in the back of the car (an estate with the seats down) and dozed off, only to be awoken by the sound of smashing glass and the sight of people peering through the windows. 

I hadn't noticed, on arrival at the leisure centre the previous morning, that I had parked right by the bottle recycling bins  :-[
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #53 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:38:33 pm »

[/quote]

... only to be awoken by the sound of smashing glass and the sight of people peering through the windows. 

[/quote]

That gave me quite a shock when I misread it

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:46:39 pm »
Liam's already covered known rider behaviour:
On a 400 I believe that most riders don't actually sleep.  The idea is that by having a control which isn't a service centre people can relax a bit more and those who want to catch 30 minutes shut-eye can do so without having a coachload of pensioners from Swansea milling around them!

If you're not part of that "most", then please be aware that others are not all the same as you!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #55 on: 03 October, 2016, 03:44:33 pm »
I've completed the "old" version of this ride a couple of times and enjoyed it a lot. I don't really mind the Tesco in Chepstow as it saved me a couple of years ago when I bought an elastic tube bandage thing for my knee. I wouldn't have finished otherwise.

However, getting rid of Membury is great news  :thumbsup:

Nice website by the way  ;D

« Reply #56 on: 04 December, 2016, 09:12:56 pm »
So... the entries are rolling in (which is astonishing at this stage of the year) and have created a Facebook page to see what attention we can garner.

It's a bit empty at the moment but any happy memories from the ride in past years are very welcome.

Liam

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 08 December, 2016, 01:21:33 pm »
What about really f**king miserable memories?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #58 on: 08 December, 2016, 01:38:12 pm »
Your riding companions are welcome to post as well

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #59 on: 08 December, 2016, 04:33:13 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #60 on: 08 December, 2016, 07:19:06 pm »
So... the entries are rolling in (which is astonishing at this stage of the year) and have created a Facebook page to see what attention we can garner.

It's a bit empty at the moment but any happy memories from the ride in past years are very welcome.

Liam
Do you have a link to the facebook page?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 08 December, 2016, 07:26:29 pm »
Your riding companions are welcome to post as well
Oh touché.

This was my first 400. It went pretty well (much better than the 600), and I recall a lovely nap at Membury services. I tried to move a rope-barrier thingy to get to the really comfy chairs, but it set off an alarm. Much appreciated by the faster riders already asleep. 

(I still have no idea why the rope was booby-trapped.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #62 on: 08 December, 2016, 08:25:18 pm »
This was also my first 400 (or do we count an arrow?)

I got heatstroke.1

1:Weather may be wet as well as too hot for the pasty-whites

« Reply #63 on: 08 December, 2016, 08:48:46 pm »

Liam
Do you have a link to the facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/LondonWalesLondon/

« Reply #64 on: 15 December, 2016, 09:53:23 am »
Well that's it. I've entered. This will be my first 400. I have ridden a couple of 300's and completed a 200 mile ride in October. Excited, nervous. I hope the weather is kind, not just on the day but before so I can get some training in.

« Reply #65 on: 15 December, 2016, 10:05:03 am »
It will be good to have you along.  Good weather is included in the entry fee (T&C apply)

« Reply #66 on: 17 December, 2016, 03:38:52 pm »
Pip reminded me that he did a brill ride report from 2014 - https://stravaddict.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/478/ - he posted it on the Facebook page for the event but I thought I'd add a link here as well as it is a lovely read

« Reply #67 on: 17 December, 2016, 03:50:48 pm »
It's a great write up and I have a question which I think others can answer.

How many of you carry a spare tyre in case of something like a split tyre?
What's your contingency plan if something like that happens?

On a 200 I'm pretty minimalist with two tubes, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, spare link, cable ties, multi tool and credit card. With the feeling that it's only a 200 and if I have a major mechanical and DNF it's probably better than carting around a massive toolbox/spares just in case.

Now as 400s are rarer I'm thinking I need to carry a bit more but don't really want to take the kitchen sink with me. Any suggestions/advice?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #68 on: 17 December, 2016, 04:10:09 pm »
that sounds pretty well prepared to me. I have seen people with spare tyres. But in all my years I have never needed more than a tube. if the worst happens DNF is not the end of the world. It's only a bike ride after all.

I think I'd be more likely to carry spare cables before a tyre or spare spokes even. As I have had spokes snap on a ride, but I've never had a tyre failure. I saw one, but it was caused by brake blocks rubbing on the side wall, proper bike set up should prevent that.

over and above a 200 I'd just be looking at extra clothing/lighting.

« Reply #69 on: 17 December, 2016, 06:01:19 pm »
... but I've never had a tyre failure. I saw one, but it was caused by brake blocks rubbing on the side wall, proper bike set up should prevent that.

That's what I thought... until Mrs S suffered a sudden and completely unexplained blow-out on the way into Abergavenny on a Blacksheep 600.  We have warded off any repeats by carrying a spare ever since.

« Reply #70 on: 17 December, 2016, 07:56:08 pm »
My experience is that you tend to carry the tools to fix a problem you've had in the past.  As time passes I have found myself more in need of carrying more and more kit.  I find it hard to leave home without spare links (broken chain on Severn Across in 2003), Spoke key (BCM 2010), Spare tyre (Tinsel and Lanes - various), gear cable (Poor Student 2016)...  I imagine Von Broad carries a full welding plant for most trips to the shops...

« Reply #71 on: 18 December, 2016, 07:12:20 pm »
I've just entered. I did a DIY 200 yesterday, the first in a long while, on my road to another LEL,  so I hope I am not writing (virtual) cheques my body can't cash. Still, something to aim for gives me focus. :thumbsup:

BTW: can anyone let me have an idea of the mainroad route back to arrivee, to avoid the laney nightime route from Membury? TIA.

The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 18 December, 2016, 07:15:48 pm »
My experience is that you tend to carry the tools to fix a problem you've had in the past.  As time passes I have found myself more in need of carrying more and more kit.  I find it hard to leave home without spare links (broken chain on Severn Across in 2003), Spoke key (BCM 2010), Spare tyre (Tinsel and Lanes - various), gear cable (Poor Student 2016)...  I imagine Von Broad carries a full welding plant for most trips to the shops...
I carry chain tool, spare links, gear cable and a spoke key because they are all things that others have needed, and carrying them has so far warded off such failures happening to me.

Clearly VB angered the gods by failing to carry his welding gear. I hope they never realise that I don't carry it either ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #73 on: 18 December, 2016, 07:51:09 pm »
I've just entered. I did a DIY 200 yesterday, the first in a long while, on my road to another LEL,  so I hope I am not writing (virtual) cheques my body can't cash. Still, something to aim for gives me focus. :thumbsup:

BTW: can anyone let me have an idea of the mainroad route back to arrivee, to avoid the laney nightime route from Membury? TIA.

Essentially its a case of picking up the A4 after the last control and bashing along . but the laney bit is actually the best bit of the whole ride IMHO

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #74 on: 18 December, 2016, 08:11:43 pm »

from the crossroads between membury and lamboure take the Newbury turning. Then follow a4 to maidenhead (reading is awkward as I recall) the before crossing Thames take cookham turn cookham bourne end Wooburn green, to the a40 follow a40 to Gerrard Cross and drop down to chalfont st Peter from there.