Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718624 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #450 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:44:29 am »
...and move our clothes to the lower peg

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #451 on: 08 November, 2009, 01:30:09 pm »
I have confused the lot of you, sorry!

Situation is, as Del has commented, I decided I was more inclined to drive to Cold Norton and then cycle from there to Witham, have a cuppa at Witham (to keep me going!) and then cycle with y'all to the pub at Cold Norton. Then drive home straight from the pub like a lazy moo. I hadn't mentioned this on the thread, due to fears of being thought a wimpy Teutonic slow-cyclist, but he's outed me now. I am a wimpy Teutonic slow-cyclist who can't stay up late.

So...

If the Witham contingent are planning to leave Oaky's at 18:30 and if the Lovely Liz or the Current Mrs R is willing to furnish me (and Del) with a restorative cuppa before this essaying forth, it would seem wise for me to get to Witham by six-ish. That's if it's OK with you lot. Del has kindly offered to shepherd me from Cold Norton to Witham avoiding all hills apart from one called North Hill somewhere. I think.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #452 on: 08 November, 2009, 01:32:31 pm »
I just had one interpretation pop into my head which fits with the above (sort of?):-  Are you and AH planning on doing Norton -> Witham -> Norton? (with AH parking there), with a North hill avoiding Witham->Norton routing?  i.e. Norton-> witham (AH&del) - cuppa (AH, Del, others) Witham -> intermediate point, where the group parts company with AH/del hill-avoidance routing through Woodham Walter etc.?, and OD/Oaky up NH, then regrouping somewhere further along?
Throw six to start.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #453 on: 08 November, 2009, 01:44:51 pm »
I blame the person who suggested changing the venues weekly!  ::-)   :facepalm:  O:-)
Del has kindly offered to shepherd me from Cold Norton to Witham avoiding all hills apart from one called North Hill somewhere. I think.
North Hill in this case is a decline, a one mile decline.  :smug:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #454 on: 08 November, 2009, 02:02:11 pm »

Situation is, as Del has commented, I decided I was more inclined to drive to Cold Norton and then cycle from there to Witham, have a cuppa at Witham (to keep me going!) and then cycle with y'all to the pub at Cold Norton. Then drive home straight from the pub like a lazy moo. I hadn't mentioned this on the thread, due to fears of being thought a wimpy Teutonic slow-cyclist, but he's outed me now. I am a wimpy Teutonic slow-cyclist who can't stay up late.

So...

If the Witham contingent are planning to leave Oaky's at 18:30 and if the Lovely Liz or the Current Mrs R is willing to furnish me (and Del) with a restorative cuppa before this essaying forth, it would seem wise for me to get to Witham by six-ish. That's if it's OK with you lot. Del has kindly offered to shepherd me from Cold Norton to Witham avoiding all hills apart from one called North Hill somewhere. I think.

I'm sure tea for two (or more) could be rustled up here at 6 o'clock ish.

This plan has the advantage of allowing you and del to scope out the progress of the resurfacing works on NH, so that OD and I know where to start dodging steamrollers.

Actually, thinking about it - you'd better be careful round the steamrollers since the Trice is flat enough to start with.  You should be fine outrunning it downhill though ;) ... uphill would be another matter of course ;)  :demon:

Judging by how far they'd got on in the resurfacing work on Thursday last week, they might even have finished by then.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #455 on: 08 November, 2009, 02:08:14 pm »
North Hill in this case is a decline, a one mile decline.  :smug:
Does this mean that on Wednesday I have to go headlong into a decline?

« Reply #456 on: 08 November, 2009, 02:14:02 pm »
Judging by how far they'd got on in the resurfacing work on Thursday last week, they might even have finished by then.
I might check it out tomorrow/Tuesday.
I hope AH knows where you live. I was going to use this route, Clicky, and get AH to divert as needed.
Does this mean that on Wednesday I have to go headlong into a decline?
Your going to a pub with half a dozen guys you met on The Internet. Could you get any lower?  ;)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #457 on: 08 November, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »
I do indeed know where Oaky lives (see, I'm good at this Meeting Strange Men Off The Internet lark!)

I'll edit the route to go straight to his house and pass it on to you, Del, in due course.

It's faintly (but only faintly) possible that Uncle James will come as well on Wednesday.

What time would you like to meet at Cold Norton, Del?

« Reply #458 on: 08 November, 2009, 02:30:07 pm »
1700 - 1715, leave around 1720, 2hrs 40mins for the Witham loop plus time for a cuppa = back at the pub for 2015ish.
NB: Based on not knowing where Oaky is!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #459 on: 08 November, 2009, 03:13:54 pm »
1700 - 1715, leave around 1720, 2hrs 40mins for the Witham loop plus time for a cuppa = back at the pub for 2015ish.
NB: Based on not knowing where Oaky is!

I'm here.

HTH. ;)

(EDIT: Slightly more helpfully, YHPM :) )

« Reply #460 on: 08 November, 2009, 04:12:21 pm »
(EDIT: Slightly more helpfully, YHPM :) )
Cheers.  :thumbsup:

I now have a new route with Oaky's domicile in the path, adds about one half mile. AH, start times from the Norton remain as above.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #461 on: 08 November, 2009, 04:12:58 pm »
He's in the posh bit of Witham.

« Reply #462 on: 08 November, 2009, 04:16:07 pm »
I noticed the gates, three mile driveway, and security guards in satellite view. Is that a lake or just a large blue plastic sheet?  :P

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #463 on: 08 November, 2009, 04:24:00 pm »
I noticed the gates, three mile driveway, and security guards in satellite view. Is that a lake or just a large blue plastic sheet?  :P

Communal helicopter pad.

« Reply #464 on: 08 November, 2009, 04:26:04 pm »
Where the fuck is that?!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #465 on: 08 November, 2009, 04:27:08 pm »

There's a "posh bit"?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #466 on: 08 November, 2009, 04:29:09 pm »
You find the commoner's entrance round the back. Make sure you wipe your feet. Mrs O likes being addressed as Ma'am.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #467 on: 08 November, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »
Where the fuck is that?!  :P

You'll never know  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #468 on: 08 November, 2009, 06:14:09 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #469 on: 09 November, 2009, 06:35:01 pm »
I rode along the Ridge this morning and the resurfacing is nearly completed, just a band in the middle to do, maybe it will be completed by wednesday, major improvement on how it was which was one of the worse stretches in central Essex, hope that helps.

Wednesday nights are very tricky for me as my son has rugby training so sadly I have struggled to get to your gatherings, last week you passed within 100 yards of my house...never mind. I'll keep lurking and may surprise you one night.

« Reply #470 on: 10 November, 2009, 04:59:22 pm »
I have a meeting tomorrow afternoon outside the UK mainland (OK, Mersea  :P ). Knowing some of the verbalists attending, it may go on pretty late. If it does, I'll just meet everyone at Cold Norton. If I'm really pissed off, I'll just go home. If it miraculously finishes early, I'll go home first and meet in Danbury en route as per my previous post.

So many possibilities......
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #471 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:00:32 pm »
I have a meeting tomorrow afternoon outside the UK mainland (OK, Mersea  :P ). Knowing some of the verbalists attending, it may go on pretty late. If it does, I'll just meet everyone at Cold Norton. If I'm really pissed off, I'll just go home. If it miraculously finishes early, I'll go home first and meet in Danbury en route as per my previous post.

So many possibilities......

You got one of them PMs

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #472 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:03:41 pm »
Still trying to persuade Uncle James to come along tomorrow. "If it doesn't rain, I might," saith he.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #473 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:10:36 pm »
    I'll be setting off from Gt Dunmow at about 6:30 as per usual. Route will probably be: Walthams, Boreham, Woodhams, Purleigh. Our paths might cross, but I'll likely be at the Norton a bit after the Witham crew. The forecast is: proper chilly!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #474 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:14:16 pm »
Still trying to persuade Uncle James to come along tomorrow. "If it doesn't rain, I might," saith he.

It never rains on the righteous and my iPhone says its going to be sunny. 

Tell Uncle James that I am introducing another strange bloke to the group so he'd better turn up to protect your reputation.