Author Topic: Tour de France 2021  (Read 54883 times)

JJ

Re: Tour de France 2021
« Reply #175 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:25:13 pm »
Someone get him a plate of pasta, get his card stamped and get him back on the road.  Which group did he start in?

Nick H.

« Reply #176 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:25:41 pm »
So the key to peaking at the right moment is not to be selected.

It's all such a dream.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #177 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:27:55 pm »
Hats off to Alaphilippe, who helped with the train when another team member (forgot name) had bike issue.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #178 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:29:02 pm »
Can he do it?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #179 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:31:50 pm »
Just wow! Chapeaux Mr Cavendish.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #180 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:34:11 pm »
Can he do it?

I'm not even convinced he can make it all the way to Paris, but if he and Bouhanni are the only pure sprinters left in the race, I know which one I would put my money on.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #181 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:42:58 pm »
What a finish. Lotto did everything in their power to disrupt the chase, but the power of the bunch was incredible. There must have been 15 riders from various teams who stuck their noses in the wind, did 25 seconds at full blast and then blew up.
And then Alaphilippe did 1.3k to 500m - he can be a bit of a dope sometimes but that showed how much of a teammate he is. The Quickstep who had the issue was Ballerini (4th yesterday).

So we've had 4 stages, and it's 2 wins each for Alpecin and Quickstep. Maybe someone else will get a go tomorrow.

« Reply #182 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:47:01 pm »
How many sprint stages are left?  Is Cav going to beat both Bouhani and Sagan?

I don't think he can pick up another 4, but wouldn't it be nice if he won one last time on the Champs Elysees?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #183 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:56:32 pm »
According to the route guide on Cycling Weakly, there are another six "flat" stages:

Stage 6: Tours-Chateuxroux
Stage 10: Albertville-Valence
Stage 12: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux-Nîmes
Stage 13: Nîmes-Carcassone
Stage 19: Mourenx-Libourne
Stage 21: Chatou-Paris

The way this tour's been so far, anything can happen, so Cav getting closer to Merckx's record or (subject to not ending up hors delai in the mountains) winning in Paris aren't beyond the realms of possibility.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #184 on: 29 June, 2021, 05:01:48 pm »
That has to smart a bit: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQsz1Oopuqa/

Warning - contains naked Slovenian flesh with lots of dressings.

Quote from: some wag on BikeRadar
Primoz needs to work on his OnlyFans account a bit...
;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #185 on: 29 June, 2021, 05:05:42 pm »
Ewan was probably the best sprinter in the field at the start but Bol, Démare and even Van Aert (if they let him out to play) could be in with a shout of a sprint win.  Kristoff's won a couple of stages, including in Paris.  And the way things are going there’s even Greipel ;D

Edit: Not forgetting the lad who won yesterday.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #186 on: 29 June, 2021, 05:31:25 pm »
According to the route guide on Cycling Weakly, there are another six "flat" stages:

Stage 6: Tours-Chateuxroux
Stage 10: Albertville-Valence
Stage 12: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux-Nîmes
Stage 13: Nîmes-Carcassone
Stage 19: Mourenx-Libourne
Stage 21: Chatou-Paris

The way this tour's been so far, anything can happen, so Cav getting closer to Merckx's record or (subject to not ending up hors delai in the mountains) winning in Paris aren't beyond the realms of possibility.

Stage 10 looks a little lumpy for a sprinter like Cavendish.
often lost.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #187 on: 29 June, 2021, 05:35:03 pm »
Let’s see if this picture shows up:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #188 on: 29 June, 2021, 05:43:16 pm »
"What if" is a bloody silly game and no-one wins, however I can't help but wonder... what if Cavendish hadn't had lost 2 or 3 years to ill-health?  Still, that has to be one of the most cheering things I've seen in the last several years.  Quite made my year it has.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #189 on: 29 June, 2021, 06:39:33 pm »
From the comments in here, and lack of spoilers, it looks like I'll have another late night watching the highlights once I am allowed TV time.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #190 on: 29 June, 2021, 06:55:57 pm »
Wasn’t the most exciting day of racing until the last 10 km, so you can FFWD through most of it :P

« Reply #191 on: 29 June, 2021, 09:41:27 pm »
I defy anyone to watch this and not be moved - https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1409897467366227971
Rust never sleeps

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #192 on: 29 June, 2021, 10:00:11 pm »
I defy anyone to watch this and not be moved - https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1409897467366227971
I could watch it all night.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #193 on: 29 June, 2021, 11:06:40 pm »
I also enjoyed Prudhomme’s interview - showed genuine respect for a bona fide Tour legend.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #194 on: 30 June, 2021, 12:00:46 am »
It's been bittersweet watching Le Tour in Brittany the past few days.  Our summer home is in La Roche Bernard, just down river from Redon where we spend several weeks, to the whole Summer during normal times.
While it's been amazing watching the drama and the scenery this week, it does pull at the heart strings after being marooned out here on a small Island for 2 years.
There is plenty of off-road farm track/gravel "ribinou" riding to be had there. We ride together on our touring rigs  on the small country lanes with plenty of  stops for plates of fresh moules frites, salty oysters, and penny cheap racy-tasting muscadet.
 Memories of riding with my 80 year old Step father from LRB along the river banks to Redon and up to Pontivy (yesterdays finish) and beyond  a few years back.
Then there was supposed to be the ride up to Brest, this year and last, then 4000km SE on TCR.
Ahh man. Lovely as it was to see that beautiful green, salty, Independent minded, bucolic part of France, I'm ready for them to head off into the interior. I couldn't take much more!
If you haven't toured down that way, get to on the list, but take a rain proof.

often lost.

« Reply #195 on: 30 June, 2021, 12:34:00 am »
Brittany is very firmly in No. 1 spot on the 'where I plan to tour next' list.
Rust never sleeps

Nick H.

« Reply #196 on: 30 June, 2021, 02:47:59 am »
Hats off to Alaphilippe, who helped with the train when another team member (forgot name) had bike issue.
It was Davide Ballerini, who broke a spoke, because the teams on Specialized are using prehistoric wheels. It's criminally amateurish, risking everything because Spesh want to sell Roval clinchers. Every non-Spesh team is on tubs. Hooked rims = more spoke issues, as well as slower speeds when you puncture etc etc. Bonkers. To think that Cav's triumph was jeopardised by a BROKEN SPOKE! Let's go back to the '70s with Specialized!

« Reply #197 on: 30 June, 2021, 06:56:46 am »
It was Davide Ballerini, who broke a spoke, because the teams on Specialized are using prehistoric wheels. It's criminally amateurish, risking everything because Spesh want to sell Roval clinchers. Every non-Spesh team is on tubs. Hooked rims = more spoke issues, as well as slower speeds when you puncture etc etc. Bonkers. To think that Cav's triumph was jeopardised by a BROKEN SPOKE! Let's go back to the '70s with Specialized!

I think that both the spoke issues were pedal into wheel type incidents.
I wouldn’t set too much store by what the team say they’re using and what they actually are using.  Cavendish in particular is very fussy about the equipment he uses, he’s famous for not accepting compromises in bikes and components.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #198 on: 30 June, 2021, 07:16:58 am »
How are spokes more likely to break with hooked rims than with tubs?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Nick H.

« Reply #199 on: 30 June, 2021, 07:22:14 am »
Something about increased compression forces. I read it somewhere but I can't find it. Wheelbuilders put in more tension on a clincher rim, all other things being equal. I think.

Eta: Cav also broke spokes the day before yesterday.