Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL equipment  (Read 68513 times)

Re: LEL equipment
« Reply #75 on: 13 February, 2009, 07:39:43 am »
Reflective ankle straps have a habbit of getting lost and sometimes they fall to bits, so it's worth carrying extra reflective gubbins, or riding fast in the day and sleeping at night.
The only thing I can think of for recumbents is a reflective flag. Recumbents are supposed to be aerodynamic, which by default means trying to reduce frontal surface area, therefore, not much to put reflective stuff on.
I'm not sure what good ankle relectores would do on a fully faired Quest recumbent. :D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #76 on: 13 February, 2009, 09:35:09 am »
They tried to make us use flags on PBP, but after some correspondence 'twixt one of the Aussie Darksiders and ACP, they were made "advisory".  Which is a Good Thing, as there's nowhere on the Speedmachine to fit one.

All the silver bits on the tailbox:

are reflective, and jolly effective.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEL

« Reply #77 on: 13 February, 2009, 09:42:41 am »
Would it be worth for HPV riders , instead of giving them the refelctive ankle straps, saying they must provide something refelctive  which can be seen fromt he rear on their machine?

It seems from this thread that most of you have something anyway  and being recumbent riders and aware of the dangers of motorists being unable to see  a large (often faired) machine (vehicle) immediately in front of them, have taken adequate steps.

Although bike checks are not part of registration perhaps I should make a  compulsory check of HPV machines to ensure riders comply with a  regulation that says something along the lines of ' HPV's must be visible in teh dark  from behind.'?  This is a slightly difficult one as I don't want to 
a   have loads of rules and regs
b   have unwrokable rules and regs
c   have regs that  create too much discrimination.

Suggestions?

Chris N

« Reply #78 on: 13 February, 2009, 12:30:53 pm »
Will there be any facilities for washing kit at any of the controls (other than a sink/shower), such as driers?  I can't shell out for more than two pairs of shorts (cheapest I've seen my preferred Assos Mille F1s is £75/pair - and that's the old model) but will need 5 pairs for the whole ride so I'm going to have to get them clean somehow.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #79 on: 13 February, 2009, 02:49:47 pm »
Can't you rolll your shorts in a towel, then peg them to something on your bike's exterior? 10 hours' daytime cycling will dry almost anything... (Most things weill dry in a couple of hours actually.)

« Reply #80 on: 13 February, 2009, 02:54:54 pm »
Will there be any facilities for washing kit at any of the controls (other than a sink/shower), such as driers?  I can't shell out for more than two pairs of shorts (cheapest I've seen my preferred Assos Mille F1s is £75/pair - and that's the old model) but will need 5 pairs for the whole ride so I'm going to have to get them clean somehow.

Why ? What happens if you wear something else or if you wear the same shorts for 2 days ? Have you tried it ? NOW is the time to try it, to see if it is really an issue.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #81 on: 13 February, 2009, 03:07:37 pm »
I've not quite done the LEL distance but I found some areas in contact with my shorts could get sore if not kept clean and in contact with clean clothing.
There's a lot of sweat in 100 hours' cycling and that can be very salty, sticky and irritating.

Chris N

« Reply #82 on: 13 February, 2009, 05:37:50 pm »
Why ? What happens if you wear something else or if you wear the same shorts for 2 days ? Have you tried it ? NOW is the time to try it, to see if it is really an issue.

Cos I get a sweaty, spotty, sore arse.  Clean shorts every day makes me feel much, much better.

1 on, 1 washed/drying is how I'd normally do it when touring - as long as the weather's dry it's no big deal.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #83 on: 13 February, 2009, 05:40:41 pm »

Cos I get a sweaty, spotty, sore arse.  Clean shorts every day makes me feel much, much better.

1 on, 1 washed/drying is how I'd normally do it when touring - as long as the weather's dry it's no big deal.

You are not alone.

LouiseC

« Reply #84 on: 13 February, 2009, 05:50:51 pm »
One good idea is to buy shorts from different manufacturers and design as the seams end up in a different places on your bum. The type of insert also makes a difference. Make sure that the shorts are run in over many hundreds of miles and washed properly a number of times before you first use them.

Experiment with different combinations of cream and inserts between now and July.

Having numerous pairs of shorts may be expensive but a worthwhile investment. It is the quality of the
insert and the fit that is important and not necessarily the material or the manufacturer.

Used shorts can be sent home but make sure that they are addressed to the other half.

Washed shorts will dry on the handlebars in next to no time even if the sun is not shining. It is sometimes useful to take a couple of pegs or even just some paper clips as they are lighter. They can be safety pinned to ones back but will not dry as quickly.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #85 on: 13 February, 2009, 07:29:20 pm »
Would it be worth for HPV riders , instead of giving them the refelctive ankle straps, saying they must provide something refelctive  which can be seen fromt he rear on their machine?

It seems from this thread that most of you have something anyway  and being recumbent riders and aware of the dangers of motorists being unable to see  a large (often faired) machine (vehicle) immediately in front of them, have taken adequate steps.

Although bike checks are not part of registration perhaps I should make a  compulsory check of HPV machines to ensure riders comply with a  regulation that says something along the lines of ' HPV's must be visible in teh dark  from behind.'?  This is a slightly difficult one as I don't want to 
a   have loads of rules and regs
b   have unwrokable rules and regs
c   have regs that  create too much discrimination.

Suggestions?

Do you really need a regulation/check for extra reflectives? Is it needed for insurance or some other reason?

Surely as long as there is the correct legal reflector then that is all that is required. You could suggest fitting extra ones, possibly with examples (such as the good Mr Larrington's machine).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #86 on: 14 February, 2009, 09:41:06 am »
Having numerous pairs of shorts may be expensive but a worthwhile investment. It is the quality of the insert and the fit that is important and not necessarily the material or the manufacturer.

You people inhabit a different universe.

Not only from me, but more especially from Brigitte Kerlouet, who rode the 1995 PBP in 44h14.
She didn't achieve this by changing her shorts every 5 minutes, even though (so the legend goes) she wee'd through them rather than stop and lose her fast bunch.
Dunno which dignitaries had the 'pleasure' of embracing her at the finish ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #87 on: 14 February, 2009, 10:02:09 am »

You people inhabit a different universe.

Not only from me, but more especially from Brigitte Kerlouet, who rode the 1995 PBP in 44h14.
She didn't achieve this by changing her shorts every 5 minutes, even though (so the legend goes) she wee'd through them rather than stop and lose her fast bunch.
Dunno which dignitaries had the 'pleasure' of embracing her at the finish ...

Yebbut, it was easy for her - she didn't even have to wear them for two days :)

LEL

« Reply #88 on: 14 February, 2009, 12:48:02 pm »
Only a sink will be available for washing clothes.  You wll need to supply your own washing powder.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #89 on: 14 February, 2009, 03:29:10 pm »

Washed shorts will dry on the handlebars in next to no time even if the sun is not shining. It is sometimes useful to take a couple of pegs or even just some paper clips as they are lighter. They can be safety pinned to ones back but will not dry as quickly.

Even better - why not wear them on your head.

H

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #90 on: 14 February, 2009, 03:33:55 pm »
Only a sink will be available for washing clothes.  You wll need to supply your own washing powder.

I just used my shower gel on my shorts as well  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

simonp

« Reply #91 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:43:10 pm »

I just used my shower gel on my shorts as well  :thumbsup:

Lifeventure All Purpose Soap 350ml at Ultimate Outdoors

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #92 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:50:57 pm »
You need nothing bulky. Most of the water north of Lincoln is soft and a little bar soap rubbed into the crotch of your shorts will lather sufficiently to clean the whole garment.

simonp

« Reply #93 on: 14 February, 2009, 10:09:44 pm »
The small lifeventure bottles are tiny, about the same as a bar of soap but much less messy.  Good for washing self, clothes, dishes and fruit.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #94 on: 14 February, 2009, 10:18:12 pm »
I didn't follow the link but 350ml seemed a tad excessive...

« Reply #95 on: 14 February, 2009, 10:31:37 pm »

Good stuff that, we took it on our 2 month trip round Argentina and Chile. Have about 50ml left which will be perfect for LEL.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

annie

« Reply #96 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:43:54 pm »
I have a little tub, about the sixe of a matchbox, in it are strips of soap powder.  If anyone is interested I can post a link?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #97 on: 15 February, 2009, 07:51:02 pm »

You are absolutely spot on there.

I used this approach for PBP as this picture shows:

H

Chris N

« Reply #98 on: 15 February, 2009, 10:33:09 pm »

Good stuff that, we took it on our 2 month trip round Argentina and Chile. Have about 50ml left which will be perfect for LEL.

That's what I'll be taking too.  Very good for washing almost anything.  Doesn't work as mind bleach though - thanks Hummers.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #99 on: 17 February, 2009, 06:52:14 pm »

Washed shorts will dry on the handlebars <SNIP>

You are absolutely spot on there.

I used this approach for PBP as this picture shows:

With some pictures, you don't need to scroll down to know what's in em.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles