General Category > The Knowledge

Cats Ears/Wind Blox

(1/3) > >>

FifeingEejit:
Has anyone found somewhere selling the furry helmet strap add ons that reduce wind noise and go by one of the two names of the subject that aren't at a ridiculous markup?

I'm sure the pair I have I bought from the Netherlands but can't find details to see if I can still get them from there before its too late.

The alternative seems to have been to import from the USA via Amazon, but Amazon now don't seem to be allowing that

I don't like the idea of the shell like ones, my next option is to Pirate.

L CC:
I think you just have to grow extensive sideburns, no?

jimmea:
As i wear hearing aids I looked at getting these too. After reading the reviews and the difficulty of getting them I decided to make my own.

I used some small foam cut outs that make a pouch for my hearing aid to sit in, Great at reducing wind noise for me.

Kim:

--- Quote from: WCTD on 23 November, 2020, 06:48:08 am ---As i wear hearing aids I looked at getting these too. After reading the reviews and the difficulty of getting them I decided to make my own.

I used some small foam cut outs that make a pouch for my hearing aid to sit in, Great at reducing wind noise for me.

--- End quote ---

When I cycle with barakta, we use her radio aid system with the transmitter under a jersey (usually mine, to improve SNR while riding along, but she'll stick it under her own to talk to other people at stops) to reduce wind noise.  Works well enough that she once complained about strange FM radio interference that we eventually determined to be the sound of leaves rustling in the trees.  A sound that she'd never heard before, because if there was enough wind to rustle leaves, it would swamp her hearing aid's microphone.

Anyway, a technique that's worth considering if you  a) already have such gadgetry for other reasons  and  b) can live with the battery life, which tends to make the average Garmin Edge look decent.

robgul:
I bought a pair of Cats Ears from the US about 5 years ago and I think they were about £12 delivered - now seems a lot more for shipping.  (I had the Standard type - that they did in different styles then - Elvis  8) for me rather than Silver Fox which would be more in keeping.

One of our club members made quite a few sets for the members of a tour - fur fabric and some Velcro strips sewn on (you could probably hot-glue the velcro?) - just wraps around the helmet straps - simples.

They really do work, I wear mine all the time and they reduce wind noise dramatically as well as keeping the ears slightly warmer -and enabling you to hear traffic.  Of course the headphone users and no-helmet riders may have a problem ...  :demon:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version