General Category > The Knowledge

Dual Rear Dynamo lights

(1/5) > >>

quixoticgeek:

I have an Edelux II front light, and a B&M Secula dynamo rear light on the left chain stay. Now I have the tailfin bag on the back, there are a few angles where the fin blocks the chain stay light on the left. But the battery powered one on the right chainstay is still fully visible. I'm pondering the idea of putting a second Secula dynamo on the right chainstay, so I have dynamo lighting visible at all times. The question is. How much penalty in term of brightness will I have if i do this? Has anyone else run two rear's and a single front off the same dynamo?

Thanks

J

Kim:
Ran a pair of Spanninga Pixeos and a B&M Cyo off an Axa bottle dynamo (and later the e-bike system, via a suitable PoE regulator) on the trike.  Works fine, no perceivable difference in brightness.

Cudzoziemiec:
An observation rather than an answer: you've often mentioned ensuring your bike is fully legal, for instance by trying to fit pedal reflectors. Will both lights on the right-hand, ie 'wrong' for NL, side, be legal? Amplified if they're actually on the chain stay. And is two lights on one bike even legal in Netherlands (I'm pretty sure it's not in Germany, for instance)?

Other than that, take Kim's advice!

quixoticgeek:

--- Quote from: Cudzoziemiec on 24 November, 2020, 01:07:04 pm ---An observation rather than an answer: you've often mentioned ensuring your bike is fully legal, for instance by trying to fit pedal reflectors. Will both lights on the right-hand, ie 'wrong' for NL, side, be legal? Amplified if they're actually on the chain stay. And is two lights on one bike even legal in Netherlands (I'm pretty sure it's not in Germany, for instance)?

Other than that, take Kim's advice!

--- End quote ---

Right now I have 5 rear bike lights on my bike. A cateye reflex thingy with built in reflector on the seat post (rarely used). A secular dynamo on the left chain stay, a secular permanent on the right chain stay, and 2 cat eye omni 3's on the tailfin. The secular permanent is there because the race rules always said I need two rear lights. I very rarely ever turned it on. The cateye reflex thingy on the seat post is there because I never got around to taking it off. It's what I used before I got the dynamo setup, and I just left it there, just in case. The omni 3's on the tailfin are there because of the blocking issue with the Dynamo lights. The second dynamo light would replace the permanent on the right chain stay, not augment it.

In .NL you can have additional lights. As long as they are the right colour. I hadn't realised Germany only allowed one rear light to be turned on at once. Hadn't factored that in. Maybe I'll use a quick connect so I can disconnect the second one when in Germany...

Good point, well made.

The quick release connector thread of a few weeks back was because I was also pondering the idea of putting the dynamo light on the tailfin bag (I have a bracket for it). But It needs to be really easy to take on/off. I've not yet made my mind up what my eventual solution will be. I'm still trying to work out my options.

J

grams:
The specs for dynamos are incredibly fuzzy, and the current draw of an LED rear light is close to negligible, so knock yourself out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version