Author Topic: Paypal Entries - A Breach of the Regulations?  (Read 6710 times)

Martin

Re: Paypal Entries - A Breach of the Regulations?
« Reply #25 on: 17 February, 2011, 11:20:20 pm »
I've taken my address off my calendar pages to discourage snailmail entries

;)

simonp

« Reply #26 on: 18 February, 2011, 12:17:41 am »
The random assortment of SAEs is all part of the fun.

Along with the size (hint: if you buy a pack of them in a stationery shop it will say they are C5) the ones which are self adhesive, but are so old (or have been unstuck over a kettle?) that they have no stick, and the window ones (probably nicked from work) and the ones you have to lick, not knowing where they've been.

Yes. Ban SAEs and make people pay the org's costs instead.

« Reply #27 on: 18 February, 2011, 12:55:34 am »
The random assortment of SAEs is all part of the fun.

Along with the size (hint: if you buy a pack of them in a stationery shop it will say they are C5) the ones which are self adhesive, but are so old (or have been unstuck over a kettle?) that they have no stick, and the window ones (probably nicked from work) and the ones you have to lick, not knowing where they've been.

Yes. Ban SAEs and make people pay the org's costs instead.

Stationary shop?? Are you actually suggesting than an AUK member go shopping ?? Ughh! I haven't been in a shop in the past 6 months or so. My shopping comes to me and as yet I have not discovered where I can find envelopes on tesco.com plus on environmental grounds I like to recycle the ones that come for free with each months credit card statements  :D

The Mechanic

« Reply #28 on: 18 February, 2011, 08:28:00 am »
Slightly OT but try this trick;

when you get junk mail, mark it "Not known at this address, Return to Sender" and put it back in the post box.  That'l teach 'em.

Billy Weir

« Reply #29 on: 18 February, 2011, 08:33:17 am »
Stationary shop?? Are you actually suggesting than an AUK member go shopping ??

Pick some up the next time you control in a supermarket or post office  ;)

Maybe organisers can help this along by having an info control "How much change do you get out of a fiver if you buy half a dozen C5 envelopes in the post office?"

« Reply #30 on: 18 February, 2011, 09:58:15 am »
Much as I would prefer to have Paypal entry for all....

I really don't see the problem with buying a big pack of C5 envelopes from (for example) Staples.com along with a pack of big sticky inkjet printable labels.    I print a whole bunch of labels with my own name & address and stick them on the envelopes all ready to go.

Typically packs of labels are 200 or more, but envelopes fewer so I have plenty left over to stick on envelopes that I am recycling.

I've probably got enough SAEs in the drawer now to last until the old system dies a natural death.   
If I was really organised I'd get 2nd class stamps stuck on them before the postage rate goes up....but as I often don't get a "pass" until last minute they sometimes need 1st class, and somehow two piles of Stamped SAEs ready for action seems just a little too anal.

« Reply #31 on: 18 February, 2011, 10:44:13 am »
Stationary shop??

It's a real problem when they move...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #32 on: 18 February, 2011, 11:56:28 am »

when you get junk mail, mark it "Not known at this address, Return to Sender" and put it back in the post box.  That'l teach 'em.
OT but ....
I tried 'Return to Sender and Delete name/address from databases' for junk mail - only to have the PO return it to ME  :o  ::-)  :sick:

I'll try the Not Known one next time.
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #33 on: 18 February, 2011, 11:57:28 am »
Stationary shop?? Are you actually suggesting than an AUK member go shopping ??
Maybe organisers can help this along by having an info control "How much change do you get out of a fiver if you buy half a dozen C5 envelopes in the post office?"

;D   ;D    :thumbsup:
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

« Reply #34 on: 18 February, 2011, 01:08:08 pm »
I have to confess that I actually have NFC how big an A5 envelope actually is.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Paper_size

An A5 envelope is half the size of A4.
A4 is half the size of A3.
A3 is half the size of A2.
A2 is half the size of A1.
A1 is half the size of A0.

A C5 envelope is slightly bigger than a sheet of A5 so that an A5 sheet (or a bunch of pages of folded A4) will fit in it.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #35 on: 18 February, 2011, 01:33:11 pm »
I have to confess that I actually have NFC how big an A5 envelope actually is.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Paper_size
A C5 envelope is slightly bigger than a sheet of A5 so that an A5 sheet (or a bunch of pages of folded A4) will fit in it.

Oh well if quoting the Ultimate Authority

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Envelope_size

lists C5 as an 'International Standard'.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 18 February, 2011, 01:58:32 pm »
I can't find the following posted anywhere else, so here goes:

There is a serious aspect with dropping snail-mail in favour of Paypal.    Riders entering via Paypal should still be prewarned and asked to adhere to the following conditions, as stated on the paper entry form:

This event is run under Audax UK regulations. It is not a race or trial of speed. You are expected to follow the
rules of the road and show consideration to other road users. It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself
with Audax UK regulations, guidance, and advice. (Members receive these via AUK publications. Others may
find them on the AUK website at Welcome to AUDAX United Kingdom, or may request printed copies from the organiser of the
event.)
Note:-
-The route is on open public roads.
-You should prepare by studying the route.
-The route is not waymarked or marshalled.
-You are responsible for your safety/conduct.
-Some routes may be arduous. T
-The organiser provides no rescue service.

This provides an important protection for the organiser

Having just "Paypalled" I noticed the declaration one has to accept. It consists of (basically) the text above, then some tickboxes:

[tick] I acknowledge that during the event I am on a private excursion on the public highway and that I am responsible for my own conduct.
[tick] I agree to abide by Audax UK Regulations for this ride.

I don't know the legal position, but clearly the above has been implemented with the intention of replicating the paper-based declaration.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #37 on: 18 February, 2011, 02:17:32 pm »
I don't know the legal position, but clearly the above has been implemented with the intention of replicating the paper-based declaration.

Both have pretty much the same legal weight. A signature on a bit of paper doesn't really mean much. Whether this is anything more than 'nothing' is a separate matter, AUK seems untroubled by it in the past.

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #38 on: 18 February, 2011, 06:08:12 pm »
Much as I would prefer to have Paypal entry for all....

I really don't see the problem with buying a big pack of C5 envelopes from (for example) Staples.com along with a pack of big sticky inkjet printable labels.    I print a whole bunch of labels with my own name & address and stick them on the envelopes all ready to go.

Typically packs of labels are 200 or more, but envelopes fewer so I have plenty left over to stick on envelopes that I am recycling.

I've probably got enough SAEs in the drawer now to last until the old system dies a natural death.   
If I was really organised I'd get 2nd class stamps stuck on them before the postage rate goes up....but as I often don't get a "pass" until last minute they sometimes need 1st class, and somehow two piles of Stamped SAEs ready for action seems just a little too anal.

And I thought I was the only one to do this.

« Reply #39 on: 18 February, 2011, 06:10:36 pm »

when you get junk mail, mark it "Not known at this address, Return to Sender" and put it back in the post box.  That'l teach 'em.
OT but ....
I tried 'Return to Sender and Delete name/address from databases' for junk mail - only to have the PO return it to ME  :o  ::-)  :sick:

I'll try the Not Known one next time.

Open up the junk mail start to fill in all the details so it looks 100%, then with scalpel (DR Death style) remove all your details they have pre printed.  Post it back in their reply envelope. They then think they have a sale etc, but it's no good as it's all missing! Keeps someone in a job opening them up etc.. That will teach em..

Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #40 on: 18 February, 2011, 07:29:00 pm »
Open up the junk mail start to fill in all the details so it looks 100%, then with scalpel (DR Death style) remove all your details they have pre printed.  Post it back in their reply envelope. They then think they have a sale etc, but it's no good as it's all missing! Keeps someone in a job opening them up etc.. That will teach em..

Hmm...

Many of those partially pre-filled forms contain a barcode or reference number printed somewhere on the page (it may not be obvious) that stops them having to enter all of the pre-printed details again, if you fail to notice it and fail to remove it then this could backfire on you.