Author Topic: chain length  (Read 1485 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
chain length
« on: 26 April, 2010, 02:53:17 pm »
Possibly a stupid question...

If I shorten the chain on my fixie by one whole link, how far forward will the wheel move in the dropouts? I'm guessing half a link, ie half an inch. Or thereabouts, accounting for the vertical difference between the top of the chainring and the sprocket. It seems like an obvious answer but I can't help wondering if there's some factor I'm overlooking.

I ask because I think the wheel is set further back than it needs to be and I'm wondering if I can get away with removing a couple of links but would rather have an idea before removing them if there's a danger of leaving the chain too short.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

Re: chain length
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2010, 02:59:27 pm »
OK, just had a look at the fixie faqs...

This seems to answer my question, kind of:
http://fixiefaqs.netcipia.net/xwiki/bin/view/Main/#Q2.16

I assume adjusting the chain length has the same effect as changing the sprocket.

d.

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:05:42 pm »
If you remove 1" from the chain, because it's doubled up, the rear wheel will have to move forward approximately* 0.5". 

*Greenbank will probably come along soon with a calculation telling us exactly how much it'll move depending on the size of your ring and sprocket.

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:29:55 pm »
If you remove 1" from the chain, because it's doubled up, the rear wheel will have to move forward approximately* 0.5".

That's what I thought. Great.

*Greenbank will probably come along soon with a calculation telling us exactly how much it'll move depending on the size of your ring and sprocket.

36 * 14, if anyone's geeky enough to want to work it out.  ;D

[edit: come to think of it, wouldn't you have to know the current chain length to be able to work it out?]

d.

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:43:34 pm »

Very very approximately*

0.5" * (1 - D/(4*pi*L))

where D is the difference in teeth between the chainring and sprocket, and L is the length of the chainstay in inches (measured centre of BB to centre of hub).

* 100% correct if your bike is infinitely long, or you have 1:1 gearing.