Author Topic: Next Best Thing?  (Read 1277 times)

Next Best Thing?
« on: 12 August, 2010, 08:20:36 pm »
Or Poor Second?

I DO miss fixed. Having just assembled a s/s for "winter" (a cheap framr came along early!) and having taken it out for testing yesterday and today, I think I'm resolved to ride it irrespective of the season/weather. In fact, except for the rare times I'm out with others, I intend to renounce gears.

It's not the same I know, but I think Next Best - at least saves my small brain wondering what gear I should be in. Not always the right one - but never the wrong one!

And I'd definitely got soft with gears for last 6 months - feel fitter already (psychological only, obviously)!

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: Next Best Thing?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2010, 08:29:23 pm »
On reading the title this Thing was wondering: why would you need a Next Best Thing for a fixie?   ;)

« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2010, 08:32:37 pm »
I was wondering exactly the same.   I can vouch for the effectiveness of an NBT2.   :)

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2010, 08:40:32 pm »
Simple. I know my limitations. To get up the hill home requires a gear so low that it is simply TOO low for even vaguely down hill (which of course is what leaving home IS.)

While 10 years ago I could manage on a mid-60s, now 55" maximum. Over 50 years of smoking bound to take a toll, you know!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.