Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338955 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #700 on: 25 August, 2019, 10:59:18 am »
Had a ride around Chipping Norton area yesterday and added 65 to cluster, so now on 1013.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #701 on: 31 August, 2019, 10:20:21 pm »

Finally some movement on my cluster. Had a game of DnD in Delft today, so took the opportunity to cycle there, via a selection of tiles, filling in gaps, increasing my cluster by 23. First improvement in cluster in months.

Also bagged 2 more Municipalities. I'm calling that a success.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #702 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:41:45 pm »
By using a cunning and convoluted route to the Wellesbourne camping weekend I managed to extend my max cluster quite a bit further north. Another trip to see my mum and I should be able to link up with the south Shropshire/north Worcestershire mini-cluster.

Linking up with my other mini-cluster in the Machars peninsula might take a little longer.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #703 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:30:36 pm »
This was me doing a bridleway, unusually - not to bag a new tile, but because I'd not done it before and wanted to see what it was like...

this

my cycling experiences have been transformed by the discovery that most surfaces are rideable on any bike, and that 'I want to go down there just because'

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #704 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:33:46 pm »
this

my cycling experiences have been transformed by the discovery that most surfaces are rideable on any bike, and that 'I want to go down there just because'

You can off road on any bike, it just may be harder on some than on others...

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #705 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:38:34 pm »
this

You can off road on any bike, it just may be harder on some than on others...

And sometimes the 'going down' is rather too literal...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #706 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:41:07 pm »
August's holidays netted 207 new tiles. Max cluster is 782, I have four squares of 17.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #707 on: 14 September, 2019, 10:26:04 am »

After months of nothing, 2 bits of progress in one month...

Cluster now down to Woeden on one tendral, and Alphen on another. 

More importantly on the long term nl challenge, I've overtaken Ivo, am up to 314 Gementes. I thought I'd be upto 1st overall for 2019, but while I was out, 1st place was out too, and they added 11 to their tally. I'm 10 behind still :(

J
--

« Reply #708 on: 14 September, 2019, 10:27:28 am »
My Dutch tally is still lagging behind a bit, my Belgian is on schedule. The schedule to complete the full BeNeLux somewhere next year.

« Reply #709 on: 14 September, 2019, 11:09:45 pm »
A French tour has not helped my cluster or square, but has added a healthy bunch to my overall square count, which is now 19517. Square remain at 39x39, and cluster at 3701.

However - and I'm sure we had a thread about something like this a while back, but I cannae find it now - ALL of my UK rides now join up, as I rode from KX to Loughton, and to visit a mate's bike shop in Buckhurst Hill, which linked everything together.

« Reply #710 on: 15 September, 2019, 07:32:06 am »
A French tour has not helped my cluster or square, but has added a healthy bunch to my overall square count, which is now 19517. Square remain at 39x39, and cluster at 3701.

However - and I'm sure we had a thread about something like this a while back, but I cannae find it now - ALL of my UK rides now join up, as I rode from KX to Loughton, and to visit a mate's bike shop in Buckhurst Hill, which linked everything together.

Hm, that would lead to a new competition ;)
What's the longest distance between linked up bikerides ;).
Just checked mine, Den Helder - Ancona is only 1508km. A TCR or Northcape 4000 rider will do considerably better.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #711 on: 15 September, 2019, 09:25:22 am »

Hm, that would lead to a new competition ;)
What's the longest distance between linked up bikerides ;).
Just checked mine, Den Helder - Ancona is only 1508km. A TCR or Northcape 4000 rider will do considerably better.

I need to cycle to Hamburg, then I'd have a continuous line to Hell, from Amsterdam, all 2000km of it.

I'm wondering if there is a metric to be had based on number of tiles, square, and cluster...

J
--

« Reply #712 on: 15 September, 2019, 10:21:06 am »
I ECE'ed Straight Outta Hackney yesterday. Since it starts 3 km from my house that meant a loop into darkest South London,  grabbing an annoying tile containing Eltham station that's never been on the way to anywhere, then hoovering up all the tiles between the Thames, the M25, and the Chase of The Sun route (which comes in through Swanley) in the small hours.

I now for the first time in ages have a single max square of 24x24. That means it can't expand until I go to either Romford or Feltham *and* either London Colney or Orpington. Joy.

« Reply #713 on: 18 September, 2019, 12:45:27 pm »
Thanks to Pete Bartlett for a little bit of awesomeness - more details in the Ride Every Tile Strava Group Posts

You can see all tiles that have been logged by anyone in the Ride Every Tile Strava Group who have made their data public here

Can select options for UK, US and Benelux at this stage.

Now we can try to be first to reach some of the "problem" tiles

Ben Lowe likes this and may try to incorporate into the main VeloViewer site

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #714 on: 18 September, 2019, 12:54:03 pm »
Thanks to Pete Bartlett for a little bit of awesomeness - more details in the Ride Every Tile Strava Group Posts

You can see all tiles that have been logged by anyone in the Ride Every Tile Strava Group who have made their data public here

OOH! that's useful. Shows that at least one person has achieved the 4 problem tiles on the military base near Apeldoorn. That's reassuring. Just need to work out a way of doing it...

J
--

« Reply #715 on: 18 September, 2019, 01:01:37 pm »

Does this have to be "visited on a bicycle"? I've been GPS logging my hill walking and running for a while and think I could contribute some Munro bagging tiles to that... please post a link if so...

« Reply #716 on: 18 September, 2019, 01:14:10 pm »

I've immediately checked it for my neck of the woods
Near the browncoal area's there are several tiles which could be visited 5 years ago (I have a few of them already) but the roads disappeared due to the large scale mines.
The former RAF Brüggen Base I'm chasing myself, I've already came tantalising close to bagging the tile, the gate is just 10m too far north....
Some tiles near Aachen can be bagged, only no-one ever took the effort to ride the dead-end streets
Some people braved no access signs near some Belgian military bases to bag the tiles. So maybe it could be done but I don't want to be that stupid to risk my feet trodding on unexploded ordnance.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #717 on: 18 September, 2019, 01:30:16 pm »

Does this have to be "visited on a bicycle"? I've been GPS logging my hill walking and running for a while and think I could contribute some Munro bagging tiles to that... please post a link if so...

Walks and runs are fine and they show up if you've ticked the relevant options.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #718 on: 18 September, 2019, 01:38:56 pm »
The UK map won't load for me.

The Benelux route makes me wonder if anyone has made an effort to grab e.g. the Breskens ferry route by human power?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #719 on: 18 September, 2019, 02:06:14 pm »
Interesting, but not working accurately. A mate of mine has filled every tile east of Hull and south of Bridlington to Spurn Point. His data is public but doesn't show on this map. I know his data is public because I'm often looking to his ride info for clues to get tiles.

Sadly my sailing trip from Google to Scarborough stands out like a sore thumb. I guess I'm going to have to delete it before I'm bombarded with accusations of cheating. It was a great adventure though.

« Reply #720 on: 18 September, 2019, 02:11:18 pm »
The UK map won't load for me.

The Benelux route makes me wonder if anyone has made an effort to grab e.g. the Breskens ferry route by human power?

Since this ferry is often used midday during longer rides I guess that it's simply a question of uploading the full ride in 1 go, so it'sreplaced by a straight line. Although it looks like people switched their garmins on in various places, hence the rather wide ferry route.

« Reply #721 on: 18 September, 2019, 02:13:41 pm »
@graeme- is your mate a member for the Ride every Tile Strava Group? 
Think it needed a few tweaks- one where people put country as Scotland weren't included, but has now been fixed.  Did your mate put down England for his country?  Or even Yorkshire  :-)

Think it is also not updated in real time but when Pete is able to.  I "went public" yesterday but my tiles are yet to be added.  Pete said that it would take a while.

« Reply #722 on: 18 September, 2019, 03:10:20 pm »
Very good. There are a few that I've got, but I have the activity private, so the square hasn't been ticked off. I'll have to tidy that up.

Does show how tricky some areas are!

And yes, you're a great big cheat, Graeme!

« Reply #723 on: 18 September, 2019, 03:51:16 pm »
Interesting, but not working accurately. A mate of mine has filled every tile east of Hull and south of Bridlington to Spurn Point. His data is public but doesn't show on this map. I know his data is public because I'm often looking to his ride info for clues to get tiles.

I do the same with JonathanF's 100x100 & cluster, which my 25x25 is fully contained in... 🙂. Though often it's - 'I'll do this, oh ok interesting he did that'...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #724 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:29:22 pm »
I have joined what I think is the right group and as far as I know all my stuff is public. Will wait and see...