Author Topic: Internet Trolls  (Read 16512 times)

LindaG

Internet Trolls
« on: 08 November, 2010, 04:53:22 pm »
 :o

On Radio 4 now.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Internet Trolls
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »
What?  All of them?  There must be some very quiet boards right now.
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2010, 04:57:47 pm »
What a stupid post.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »
;D
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:10:22 pm »
 ;D

Sorry.  The programme is ClickOn, about the Internet, and there was a short piece about trolling.

In point of fact there was one self-confessed troll putting his point of view across.

LindaG

« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:11:28 pm »
Matt, you must have a very sad life to say a thing like that.  But I sympathise with you and can understand why you needed to say it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:23:03 pm »
It would be great if people posting on this thread would make sure they knew what they were talking about before pressing 'Post'.
It is simpler than it looks.

LindaG

« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:24:22 pm »
Says he, who always speaks with the voice of authority, having done years of research on Wikipedia.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:34:03 pm »
<frantic sound of googling>
You got me there.

;D
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:41:29 pm »
Matt, you must have a very sad life to say a thing like that.  But I sympathise with you and can understand why you needed to say it.
;D I assume you're paraphrasing the Troll on the programme.

Semi-seriously; I didn't actually recognise that particular problem. I mean if I took your post above seriously, how could it upset me? Is it just about taking someone that is already frothing and twisting the knife a bit.
Does anyone have a real example of this? (probably best to quote a non-YACF discussion!)

My idea of a 'proper' troll is one who stirs up a pointless argument out of nothing. Perhaps I'm too naive!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LindaG

« Reply #10 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:44:40 pm »
Yes, I was paraphrasing the troll.  You nazi.

Seriously:

I think we're talking professional-standard emotional manipulation here, for a power kick.  Adopting a patronising tone with someone you've wound up already, would be a good way to create a bit of havoc, if you were so inclined.

It was an interesting piece.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:45:29 pm »
I'm having an argument with my friend.  He says Shimano makes better stuff but I am sure Campagnolo works better on my bikes.  What do you think?

Also, I think wearing a helmet is really dorky and anyway they only work if you hit another cyclist.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LindaG

« Reply #12 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:45:53 pm »
I think you should put your helmet on.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13 on: 08 November, 2010, 06:20:17 pm »
I'm having an argument with my friend.  He says Shimano makes better stuff but I am sure Campagnolo works better on my bikes.  What do you think?

Also, I think wearing a helmet is really dorky and anyway they only work if you hit another cyclist.

Far too obvious, try the Conti Gatorskins are fantastic, I have NEVER had a visitation whilst using them... :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 08 November, 2010, 06:35:37 pm »
I think white van men have a point. You bunch of bullies.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 08 November, 2010, 06:43:00 pm »
Margaret Thatcher, eh?  What a woman.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #16 on: 08 November, 2010, 07:59:01 pm »
The Guardian. If only they had proper journalists like the Daily Mail.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LindaG

« Reply #17 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:14:38 pm »
Clarkson does have a point.  If cyclists didn't get in the way he wouldn't have to bother running them down, would he?  They're asking for it, really.

« Reply #18 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:26:20 pm »
Cyclists don't get the point about Road Tax.

It's not that Road Tax doesn't exist (since Churchill abolished hypothecated 'road tax').

It's not that Roads are paid out of general taxation and most people are tax payers, some even have cars that require VED anyway.

Motorists get annoyed about cyclists for 'not paying road tax' because, unlike the majority of motorists, cyclists don't have to pay any special vehicle related money (not matter what it's called, or if they'd be exempt anyway) towards the general taxation pot in order to 'use the roads'.

No, wait a minute, that's not trolling is it, that's actually the truth...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LindaG

« Reply #19 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:28:13 pm »
Oh, nice work there GB.  10/10.

robbo6

« Reply #20 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:43:37 pm »

And when you sit in a pub with one on, it looks like you're being attacked by  a giant beetle.

« Reply #21 on: 09 November, 2010, 01:56:25 pm »
As soon as the rest of you start earning more money, you'll no doubt be able to afford cars and will start driving and stop cycling. Cycling is what people who can't afford cars are forced to do. I don't see why we should have cycle lanes, the roads are crowded enough already, why should unsuccessful people on bikes be allowed to hold up more successful ones in cars on their way to work!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22 on: 09 November, 2010, 02:05:19 pm »
Whenever you see a queue of traffic waiting to pass a cyclist, all of those drivers are forced to make greater use of the brakes, gears and accelerator than they would otherwise do - and that means that every car in that queue is using more fuel than it otherwise would.

If you put that cyclist in a car and he drove at the correct speed for the road*, the queue would disappear and everyone would use less fuel - certainly enough to compensate for the fuel used by one more car.

Cyclists aren't green. They waste more fuel than they save.

*About 5 to 10 mph in excess of the speed limit.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #23 on: 09 November, 2010, 02:19:34 pm »
The only Green thing about Greens is their faces. Green with envy. Why should I be taxed more for my 3.2 litre engined 4 x 4, and 4 flights a year to the sun. If they worked harder they could afford it too. Work shy bastards. They give up nothing, yet want to hit me with taxes, trying to bring me down to their subsistence hand to mouth levels. They're all ex communists you know!

« Reply #24 on: 09 November, 2010, 02:20:06 pm »
Last night my friend got hit by a car while he was waiting for a red light. I never wait at red lights and I've never been hit so clearly it's a lot safer to jump red lights, especially for women who probably die everytime they touch their breaks.