Author Topic: Restaurants in central Manchester  (Read 1691 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Restaurants in central Manchester
« on: 17 April, 2016, 10:56:49 pm »
Any recommendations?
I obviously have tripadvisor but sometimes a personal recommendation is good.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Restaurants in central Manchester
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2016, 10:58:53 pm »
Lunch-y sort of places: https://foursquare.com/tajasel/list/lunch-in-town
Dinner sort of places: https://foursquare.com/tajasel/list/dinner-in-town
Places that are also good to work in: https://foursquare.com/tajasel/list/places-i-like-to-work
Great coffee: https://foursquare.com/tajasel/list/manchester-coffee-spots

If you can be more specific about exactly what you want to eat, I can be more specific about which my favourites of the places on them there lists are :) but otherwise… them places! *points*

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2016, 11:02:17 pm »
Thanks Katie !  I'm in Manchester next Saturday to see King Lear at the Royal Exchange, so will peruse those links with interest.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2016, 11:03:08 pm »
Thanks Katie, have Moose Coffee on the map already.
Tapas?

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2016, 11:11:57 pm »
Authentic and delicious - Evuna. There's a couple of branches but I like Thomas St best.

If you also want great beers, The Molly House in the Gay Village do tasty tapas, albeit not very authentic.

Oh, and forgot the list of brunch places!

PS, if with bikes and after good coffee, Pop Up Bikes near Victoria station does tasty local coffee and will let you park your bike inside for free as long as you buy something. Like, er, a coffee :)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2016, 11:26:49 pm »
Sounds good. We're going to a gig at the Albert Hall on Fri night so if there's anywhere near there good for early evening food...?

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2016, 11:40:54 pm »
Aha, well, Revolucion de Cuba is right across the road, and that has tasty and verrr cheap cocktails too.

There's also the other branch of Evuna, just round the corner.

And then there's Dimitri's Tapas Bar, also round the corner, which I haven't personally been to but is on my to-do list and has good recs from friends of mine…

« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2016, 09:37:45 am »
We visit Manchester fairly regularly since our daughter has settled there, and our favourite tea/coffee place is Pot Kettle Black in the Barton Arcade on Deansgate. It is right behind a Spanish bar/restaurant that faces onto Deansgate called Lunya. We liked the food in Lunya, but the service wasn't terrific.

If you're into fancy teas, my wife and daughter both love a tea shop opposite the cathedral, called Proper Tea, but I find it a bit pretentious.

I may be boring, but the most enjoyable meals I've had in Manchester have been at Jamie's Italian, which is in a magnificent old bank building that is worth a visit just to use the fabulous loos.

« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2016, 09:52:35 am »
Proper Tea is on my to-do list so i can't comment on what it's like, however I can say that Sugar Junction in the NQ has a delightful selection of teas, some unique to them, and not pretentious.

« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2016, 10:30:56 am »
Proper Tea is on my to-do list so i can't comment on what it's like, however I can say that Sugar Junction in the NQ has a delightful selection of teas, some unique to them, and not pretentious.
Maybe I was being a little harsh on Proper Tea; I wouldn't say 'don't go there' - rather that, I've been there two or three times now and, if left to my own devices, I'd go somewhere else. The women in my life love the place.

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2016, 07:28:10 pm »
I'd endorse Katie's recommendation of Dmitri's albeit it's more mezze than tapas.
If you're going there, then Atlas Bar is 100m away further down Deansgate. They have a wicked selection of gins.
Just opposite Atlas is the Knott. It's a fabulous real ale pub. That's your evening sorted  ;).
They're all quite close to the Albert Hall.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2016, 09:14:33 am »
Evuna was good but some of the meaty tapas was a bit meh. We walked past Revolucion and saw the people disgorging from it, decided we were underdressed and it wasnt really our sort of place...
Will see where we end up for breakfast - somewhere in the direction of MOSI.