Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143073 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Beardys running log - Ct5k
« on: 22 August, 2019, 01:28:20 pm »
I’ve eventually found some motivation1 to actually get off my fat lazy arse, which I’m a bit pleased about. I’ve started the Couch to 5k thing2 and have managed to do two runs3 this week which is a start. Yeah, go me.  :)

I’m developing shin splints  :(, which while not entirely unexpected, is a pain in the, well shins. I’ve had a look at the interwebs and the advice basically boils down to don’t do too much exercise and don’t be fat, neither of which is particularly helpful really. It seems that I’ve just got to grin and bare it while I improve my muscle strength and lose some more weight. Oh, and I might have to go and buy some running shoes sooner rather than later, though I’m not convinced that will help much just at the moment.

No pain, no gain I suppose.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Shin splints
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2019, 01:47:25 pm »
Google Cliff Young Shuffle

It is a way of running that avoids impact.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2019, 01:49:52 pm »
I've had bad shin splints in the past - all to do with poor trainers it was.  Don't be so hasty on dismissing that.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2019, 02:04:48 pm »
Take it very easy. Do exactly what they say in the programme. Don't keep moving on through the weeks if it's hurting. Repeat weeks.

I received lots of good advice here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87293.0
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2019, 05:11:24 pm »
I've had bad shin splints in the past - all to do with poor trainers it was.  Don't be so hasty on dismissing that.

That. You need a good heel cushion so that the shin muscles don't get yanked brutally at every stride. I think.

Missus uses Altras and gets new ones about as often as I get new tyres.  The old ones (shoes) get demoted to slipper duty.

Oh, watch out for heel spurs. You'll know when to start worrying when your hair turns orange.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:28:09 pm »
It seems that leaning forward while running has reduced the development of shin splints. I seem to be developing a running style that is reducing the impact some, and the 90 seconds run is hitting me in the chest rather than the legs as it was last week. Only 5 runs completed, but yea. \o/.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2019, 08:17:23 am »
Going back a good number of years now but at the end of a hot summer pounding the cricket square when bowling I'd develop shin splints. If the summer was not hot and dry (mostly  :-\) then I was fine.

During the off season I would occasionally jog the streets and again I'd get shin splints. However, running on the nice soft treadmill at the gym wouldn't give me any problems.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2019, 09:06:02 am »
Test of commitment today. It’s the first day there’s been weather on a scheduled run day.
 The shin splints seem to be under control so I’m trying to keep my running smooth as that seems to be the key.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2019, 11:55:50 am »
Possibly not the best thread to note my (lack of) progress, but I don’t want to clutter up the groups.

I failed on Wednesday, and again for the rest of the week. I did manage to get off my posterior today though, and suffered for taking a 5 day break. That’ll learn me. So week 3 will leak into week 4 and week 4 is likely to leak into week 5.

I’m now sitting in the sofa in the back room drinking water and leaking through my skin.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2019, 11:15:12 pm »
Week 3 finished - 2 days late due to last weeks visit from the sloth.

I’m going to have to pace myself a bit better as I ‘gave up’ towards the end of the last 3 minutes, though it turned out more or less exactly as she called it. I’ll not make it to the end of 5 minutes if I don’t. Five minutes, twice! Who do I think I’m fooling if I think I can run for 5 minutes. Once, let alone twice in the same session.

Next run Thursday, hopefully first thing. I think A&E should be quieter first thing.

« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:26:42 am »
I'm holding at Week 4 - I seem to have pulled a glute of some description and should wait until that settles  :(

Hopefully I'll restart week 4 next week.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2019, 11:40:32 am »
Blimey, I did it. I actually managed to complete all the runs. 16 minutes of running. I’ll be riding my bike again at this rate. It’s depressing to review the Strava pace analysis and have difficulty in identifying which are the running sections and which are the walking.  :-\
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.  :)

/// Pluck, good luck with your injury.

« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2019, 12:49:26 pm »
/// Pluck, good luck with your injury.

Cheers. It seems to be getting better. Well, the pain has changed location a bit, which I regard as an improvement on no change at all.

Similarly, my apps all fail to detect that I am running, not walking, which is a bit disheartening  :(

Are you now running 5k having gone through the programme? I haven't looked ahead to see what the runs are in the final couple of weeks.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2019, 01:40:45 pm »
Are you now running 5k having gone through the programme? I haven't looked ahead to see what the runs are in the final couple of weeks.
By the end of couch to 5k, you should be able to run for 30 minutes. Not necessarily 5km.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14 on: 12 September, 2019, 03:13:38 pm »
I ran no where near 5k though possibly managed 2k. I am only on week 4 of 9 though, so, it seems about right. I’m trying to run smoothly as possible at the moment while I’m still going slowly. Hopefully as the times increase, the distance will also and my ‘style’ will carry forward.
I’ve (rather optimistically) registered for a half marathon with two of my children next spring, so I’m going to have to go straight onto a 5 to 10K programme and then onto a 10K to half marathon programme. They both run, though only the boy is doing those distances. It’s a goal to aim for, and occasionally I actually think I’m enjoying it. When I get onto the bigger distances l’ll need to be cross training as well, so I’ll either be back on my bike, or i’ll be getting the rowing machine fettled. Hopefully, I’ll get some benefit out of all this.

« Reply #15 on: 12 September, 2019, 04:12:17 pm »
Hopefully you will find that there's a threshold where your run speed for distance isn't just the furthest you are capable of at your only running 'pace'. When I started running, I felt as if I had only one pace (which was slow) - I was either running or I wasn't, so I could only define it by how far I could run at that pace. There comes a point when you realise that you've developed enough to be able to increase distance by pacing down. I found that suddenly I was good enough that I wasn't needing to do all my running at my maximum capacity, which meant that I could both extend runs by slowing down, and also that I could actually enjoy running.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16 on: 15 September, 2019, 06:25:15 pm »
Bad run today. Possible causes are; too much carbonated fluid earlier in the day;
T-shirt was a tight ‘wicking’ type. I managed to complete,the first three runs in the session, but the forth was too much, i couldn’t breath properly. I managed the session on Thursday morning with only minor issues, but did struggle with a less strenuous session in the evening when I had the same t-shirt on. I’ll see how my session goes on Tuesday before,I start panicking, but I’ll put that t-shirt away for now, and cut down on my fizzy water when I’m planning a run. I’ll also try and run more often in the morning.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #17 on: 17 September, 2019, 06:40:33 pm »
Week 4 completed.
An uneventful session with the runs being a bit of a stretch but not feeling like I was going to die. I was concentrating on my technique with trying to minimise foot impact. I believe it’s time to buy some specific shoes for running though I’m tempted to go ‘barefoot’ to concentrate my mind on my technique because I feel a cushioned shoe will let me be lazy in that direction. Just need to not spend silly money on them.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #18 on: 19 September, 2019, 10:44:39 pm »
Week 5.1 three x 5 mins with 3 minutes walk to separate
The first run was a little ‘tight’ in the chest but I pushed on. Second and third runs were fine with breathing though, so it looks like my cardiovascular fitness is starting to return. I seem to be recovering faster as well, so there’s hope. My left shin is starting to niggle some though, so I think the shopping trip will be tomorrow.
I’ve also started to do some light stretching as well as the warm down walk.
Next up, I need to work out how to motivate myself to run in the mornings rather than the evenings. Suggestions welcome.  :)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #19 on: 21 September, 2019, 05:18:04 pm »
Week 5.2  two x 8 minutes split by 5 mins walking

Interesting to note that I was tight in the chest at the start again, but the 8 minute run wasn’t overly difficult. The second run was easier to start and was a stretch to finish. I think the next session is one 20 minute run.  :o I suspect that’s going to be a challenge!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #20 on: 23 September, 2019, 01:41:57 pm »
W 5.3 20 minutes running

I started a bit too fast, but once I’d slowed down the 20 minutes run was achieved without too much difficulty. It’s the old mind game, the body can do,it but the mind would,rather you just stopped. I didn’t.  :)

Shoe shopping tomorrow.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #21 on: 23 September, 2019, 02:17:57 pm »
Me and The Current Mrs R completed Cto5K in June, well chuffed with ourselves we was.  We are both now injured, me with a dodgy left knee, TCMR with a damaged right foot arch - most frustrating as we were going great guns!  We should be back in the UK shortly so will get advice and treatment with a view to getting back on the road ASAP.

Well done Beardy and anyone else who is a newbie runner (as we both are), keep doing it as long as you can.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22 on: 25 September, 2019, 04:14:00 pm »
W 6.1 5-8-5 running with 3 mins walking in between

That was harder than the 20 min long run. I’m not sure if the new shoes helped, but my left shin doesn’t seem to be hurting, so they probably did. It’s interesting to note that the start of the first run seems harder as if my chest is tight but it then clears after 2 minutes or so*.  I’ll watch that to see how it goes.

*it could just be that the rest of me starts to hurt so I don’t notice my breathing so much  :-\

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #23 on: 25 September, 2019, 04:17:30 pm »
Beardy, are you doing the NHS Get Inspired Couch to 5k?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24 on: 25 September, 2019, 04:40:24 pm »
Beardy, are you doing the NHS Get Inspired Couch to 5k?
That I am Od, and an excellent piece of software it appears to be. I can’t vouch for the effectiveness of the programme because it’s the only one I’ve tried, but I can certainly run further than I could 5 weeks ago and the app has mostly kept me motivated.