Author Topic: Protein/carb mix unflavoured  (Read 1260 times)

Protein/carb mix unflavoured
« on: 21 September, 2023, 11:47:42 am »
My wife has started doing more exercise and weights so I want to encourage more protein intake but still she wants to control calories. However she detests the flavoured ones.

Is there an unflavoured recovery mix she could try or a coffee flavoured one?
Thank you.

Re: Protein/carb mix unflavoured
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2023, 12:00:17 pm »
MyProtein does unflavoured stuff and of course coffee flavour too.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Protein/carb mix unflavoured
« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2023, 12:08:02 pm »
Try Holland & Barrett - their own-brand PE Nutrition Simply Whey comes in an unflavoured option, and is often available on 2-for-1 offer. If you want a vegan option, they also stock Pulsin Pea/Soya/Hemp protein powders.

Tbh, I’m sceptical about the need for post-exercise protein supplements for most people but that’s your call.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2023, 12:21:40 pm »
Huel Black Edition (The high protein one) comes in unflavoured or coffee caramel.  I haven't tried either, though the vanilla is quite palatable. 
Issue I have with all Huel products is the order quantities and the lack of sample sizes. At least if you dislike the unflavoured, there'd be the option to flavour it.  I sometimes blend frozen fruit in with the vanilla.

« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2023, 01:42:29 pm »
Post-ride or run, I use a mug of milk and handful of nuts.
Poached eggs on toast also hits the spot.
Real food is a lot less expensive.
I have yet to find a commercial bar/drink that doesn't cause stomach problems due to sweeteners, flavourings, emulsifiers, preservatives etc. They all tend to be highly processed.
And as citoyen says, I'm not convinced they are necessary for anyone other than elite athletes (who have a team of nutritionists and chefs to help keep the balance)

Of course, if a sweet gloopy drink is a "reward" for doing the exercise, that's a whole different can of worms...

« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2023, 01:53:00 pm »
Plain whey powder is widely available.

I mix mine with Nesquik (chocolate).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2023, 02:12:43 pm »
Plain whey powder is widely available.

I mix mine with Nesquik (chocolate).

I think the suppliers also do a 'whey protein isolate', which has the lactose removed to drop the energy count.

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2023, 02:32:15 pm »
Couple of boiled eggs

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2023, 02:49:01 pm »
I detest most of the flavours, but I find Isostar grapefruit quite palatable.  The others linger for ages but the grapefruit leaves my palate feeling clean. I use it for recovery as well, a pint made up with Badoit. That and a tarte flambée.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2023, 04:07:37 pm »
I've used unflavoured whey and soya protein along with maltodextrine from myprotein to mix drinks with success.  I particuarly like the bland flavour of the soya one.  It's easy to find recipes online.  Often they add BCAAs plus other 'magic' ingredients to optimise performance or recovery.

Graeme Obree recommended sardines on toast - which I have also used many times!