Author Topic: Potential Bronchiectasis diagnosis  (Read 305 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Potential Bronchiectasis diagnosis
« on: 15 March, 2024, 07:34:36 pm »
How worried should I be?

I’ve been coughing for 4 or 5 years now, progressing from winter only to all year around. Chest X-rays constantly come back clear and I’m not responding in any significant way to Ventolin and steroid inhalers.

The GP has referred me to someone with a ?? Bronchiectasis? On the referral letter and as I no longer have health insurance I’m now waiting for the call up.

Is there anything I can do to try and improve things in the mean time?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Potential Bronchiectasis diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2024, 08:22:10 pm »
I was diagnosed with this many years ago after the consultant ruled out lots of other possible causes of a persistant cough. (TB, cancer, asthma, allergies etc etc).
It's damage to the very tiniest air tubes in the lungs.
He reckoned it might be due to having whooping cough very badly as an infant (in pre-vaccination days).
Said he was seeing it in an increasing number of folks my age who had whooping cough when young, and that the damage had always been there but didn't become troublesome until lung function naturally reduced with age.
(For a while I was on a proton pump inhibitor - not convinced it did any good, and when the formulation was changed and wrecked my innards I told them I'd rather put up with the cough!)
So the only advice really was to just reduce the irritation by sucking a boiled sweet, which is more effective than just drinking water.
It can get worse with strenuous exercise, especially in very cold weather, but quickly settles back to "normal"
It's irritating, and I no longer use hostel dorm accommodation due to irritating others.
But it isn't going to kill me.
Let me know how you get on, please.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2024, 08:26:04 pm »
I don’t think worrying will change anything!
Any previous damage to your lungs has been done.
You can attempt to reduce future damage by working hard to clear your chest of junk whenever you get a cold and JUDICIOUS use of antibiotics, with or without steroids & bronchodilators.
Avoiding lurgied humans would be wise, as would regular flu vaccination.

A chat with your GP might be wise, if practicable.

« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2024, 11:05:55 pm »
I would also ask if you have reflux.  Do you cough in the night the morning?  Google acid reflux symptoms and if so might be worth using night time omeprazole or putting a bring under the legs at the top of the bed.  Even if you do it and it does not help it is useful negative information

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2024, 10:12:03 am »
Aye, acid reflux is a right barrel of laffs. Good luck to you if you've got it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2024, 10:50:35 am »
I don’t believe I suffer from reflux. I’ve never really had an indigestion issue, for which I am eternally grateful.

I occasionally cough while asleep, something I know because Dr Beardy hits me repeatedly until I roll over onto my side. I cough when I get up in the morning, and going in the shower usually causes a bout. Other than that, a coughing fit can come on my at virtually any time and trying to suppress the single cough usually results in a more violent coughing fit.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2024, 11:59:41 am »
The GP has referred me to someone

I take it that’s a respiratory consultant or clinic?

There are so many potential causes for this  and I think there is little option but to wait for a diagnosis and in the meantime try to avoid identifiable triggers if you can. Most of the potential causes are relatively benign so no benefit in googling.

The coughing in the shower could just be that the humidity is loosening things up and your lungs respond by trying to clear themselves.

The docs might (should) send you for a CT chest.

Do you actually cough anything up, and are you prone to chest infections?

Either way, in addition to the flu vaccine and depending what your consultant thinks, the pneumococcal vaccine might be worth considering.

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2024, 02:54:45 pm »
Google acid reflux symptoms and if so might be worth using night time omeprazole

I was offered omeprazole after lanzoprazole took a stone and a half off my weight, several inches off my quads, and 6 months out of my life with persistent severe diarrohoa.
I said I was not prepared to take the risk. The consultant agreed.

If you are prescribed a PPI, it may work fine for you as it does for most folks, but do be aware of possible gut problems.