Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1242148 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #7225 on: 17 March, 2021, 04:47:25 pm »
Need a new plan, lost 30kg in the last seven months, now struggling to lose the last few, ideally another 7.  I'm convinced that routine is the enemy of weight loss, I've tried a few diets and fitness programs and every one of them has worked for a while, then the effect has diminished as my body adapts.  Like others, the calorie counting says I should be losing half a kg a week, and I'm not :-[
What next?  5/2 intermittent fasting worked well to kick this off, but daily life is a lot more active at present so not sure I could cope with that, I've tried Keto a couple of times but it didn't suit me, when the gyms re-open I'm thinking of trying some HIT sessions, open to suggestions.

I think you are right there.

For cholesterol-reduction purposes, I went on a dairy-free diet for a while.
Was starving most of the time. Lost weight at a huge rate. Then suddenly, the weight loss stopped. I reckon my body had adapted to the new diet.

I'm exercising about 4 times a week. About 5-6hours.

Doesn't seem to make any difference to weight loss. Started reducing lunchtime portions and keeping snacking down.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7226 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:34:26 pm »
If it starts to go back on, I will probably sign up for another programme, if not Noom, then the NHS version.
I signed up to noom, but didn't last the two week free trial period.  What's the NHS equivalent? Second Nature? I think that has some NHS involvement, I'm considering it.  Or something else?
As a calorie counter, I'm using Nutracheck, which is  very much UK based and simple enough to use, but it doesn't offer much beyond the counting and there might be better value alternatives . Are you using fitbit for calorie counting?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7227 on: 18 March, 2021, 12:37:17 am »
I'm using the Noom app for calorie counting. I'm trying to keep below 2000 a day, and that seems to be a good spot or me: I'm not snacking in the evening, which was always my downfall - other than a handful of grapes which are low-calorie anyway - and my weight still seems to be dropping slowly. I've hit a couple of plateaux along the way - I started about 19½ stones in July and by late November I was about 17½ stones, and remained there pretty much until after Christmas. Since January, I've lost another half-stone, approximately, and I still think I'm going down very slowly.

I have to say that this has been a lot easier for me to keep organised this time as firstly my son and his partner moved out, leaving just Jan and me at home. It's much easier to resist the temptation to eat extra when you don't buy the extra in the first place. Secondly, I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation - that was the trigger which started me off on Noom - and I've all but given up alcohol since. I really did enjoy a beer in the evening, but I'm out of the habit now and I'm not missing it. I have a few bottles of Clausthaler alcohol free (well, 0.4%) but I don't think I drink one a week of those.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #7228 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:02:33 am »
Second Nature doesn't involve calorie counting or meticulous tracking (thank goodness), it focuses on meal composition and your attitude to yourself and your intake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7229 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:54:51 am »
I think I am going to sign up for Nutracheck, which works out at about £40 for the year. It’s app is basically a very slick calorie counter which has an extensive database of UK based bar codes. The Fitbit bar code reader just doesn’t seem to read UK bar codes - whether it would if I signed up for Prime I don’t know.

Meanwhile, I seem to have lost a kilogram this week, so March has been a good month for me. From now on I think I am in uncharted territory, at least in recent years - I don’t think I have been lighter than this since our children were small, and they are now middle-aged!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7230 on: 01 April, 2021, 12:14:25 pm »
A little more off the waistline this morning. I still have some way to go before those smaller trousers become a necessity.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7231 on: 05 April, 2021, 09:02:42 pm »
Reached my goal weight of 80kg this morning, having started at 94.2kg on 29 October.

As I am still above bmi 25 (currently 25.85) I have adjusted my goal down to 75kg as I think that will be enough. So another 5 to go, will hopefully be there by the time my wedding takes place - no idea when that will be, depends on paperwork and lockdowns...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #7232 on: 05 April, 2021, 10:49:27 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well done.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7233 on: 09 April, 2021, 02:53:56 pm »
Well done AH!

My first goal when I started in July was 17½ stone, a loss of a little over 2 stone from my starting weight when I joined Noom. I reached that in early December. I weighed myself at 16st 8lb this morning, so hopefully within a week I will have achieved goal no 2, 16½ stone. It's many, many years since I was lighter than that - certainly before 1990.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7234 on: 22 April, 2021, 08:06:28 am »
My deal with Noom finished on Saturday. As it happened, the bits of the app I was most interested in - calorie counting and weighing myself - still worked until, pillock that I am, out of curiosity I pressed the “free upgrade” link that had appeared. That took me straight through the enrolment procedure and then offered me a free fortnight followed by >£40 a month!

I decided on the strength of that that I would stop calorie counting but, since my meals are largely repetition now, and I have counted those calories every day for months, that doesn’t matter much.

Breakfast - 150ml or thereabouts Waitrose orange juice with bits; porridge made with jumbo oats, oat milk and sprinkled with 10g chia seeds and a similar amount of muscovado sugar; 2 mugs tea with oat milk.

Lunch: ½ a jacket tater, carrots, parsnip/swede, cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli and protein: a couple of sausages, or a burger, or fish. We also have home-made chicken dhansak to an excellent Slimming World recipe, or occasionally veggie mince in the form of spaghetti Bol or shepherds pie. I think we are eating more fish than meat now. The main course is followed by a banana and one square only of Waitrose dark chocolate with hazel nuts. I might have a dessert spoon of yogurt or ice cream with the banana, but we make sure we buy only one tub on alternate weeks and when it’s gone, I do without.

For tea I have lettuce, tomato, raw pepper and possibly a couple of boiled eggs, or lean ham, or smoked salmon or a kipper. I have a slice of good bread (bread maker made using a mix of flours) and butter with this, and another slice with jam thereafter. Usually I have an apple and an orange. Sometimes I’ll have a 2-egg omelette with cheese and mushroom as the protein part, but I restrict this treat. It’s too fatty to have more than once every 10 days or so. I do love a good cheesy omelette.

In the evening I have a snack of a 10 grapes or so.

Throughout the day I drink quite a bit of tea and possibly a couple of cups of coffee, each time with oat milk.

I reckon that amounts to approximately 2000 calories a day. I have averaged almost 10k paces a day since the start of the year, and my current activity is such that I will be exceeding 10k average by the end of the month. I am also doing a little cycling, which I plan to increase after I have had my second jab and assuming that COVID restrictions aren’t strengthened again.

« Reply #7235 on: 07 May, 2021, 07:35:47 pm »
I have mentioned, somewhere in this thread, that one of the factors causing the increase in weight of the population as a whole is that our built environment is a lot warmer than it used to be. Double glazing, central heating and insulated houses all help.
Yesterday I had a concrete example of this. MrsC and I were manning a voting station in our village hall and, due to Covid, we had to have two doors open all the time. The station is open 7.00-22.00, so cold at both ends of the day and being a village hall--they have their own laws of thermodynamics--it was colder inside than out even when the day was at its best.
For a normal working day, if I don't go for a run, I very rarely hit my 'move' calorie target on my Apple Watch. I find it fairly easy to get the 30 minutes of 'exercise' in though. Yesterday I was well over the calories, but the exercise score was only 17 minutes. The only real difference between yesterday and a normal work day (apart from the hours thank $DEITY) was the temperature.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #7236 on: 11 May, 2021, 03:13:51 pm »
Having battled weight all my adult life, if there is a diet out there, I've probably done it. I was pretty much always hungry. Never had a problem getting my five a day, love veggies. Even when I used to cycle a lot, I battled weight issues.

Physical issues stopped me cycling & the weight piled on.

Then in January this year I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic.  Doc gave me a year to lose 10% of my body weight and get my blood sugar down to low end of diabetes
Since then (four months) I've lost 27kgs, my blood sugar is down to below being classed as diabetic (just), my BP has lowered significantly. That's why and how I feel I am in a position to start getting back on my bike after years of not being able to.

I am not counting calories or doing any form of portion control, nor am I keeping a food diary. Been there, done that. I am simply pretty eradicating as many carbs as I can from my diet. No breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, no beans other than haricot vert, no alcohol, no sugars. I only drink tea/coffee and a lot of water. I am eating a vast amount of other veg, plenty of oily fish, chicken, turkey, eggs with the occasional treat of a steak or sausage (fnarr...). I have a tiny bit of milk in my morning coffee & tea. I don't have sweeteners or 'sugar-free' anything. I also do not stint with the 'good oils' such as extra virgin olive oil, hazelnut & pumpkin oils. I am eating well and lots of it. I am rarely hungry and rarely experience cravings.

My doc is thrilled as I have done it swiftly and my blood test results as well as the weight loss are all good. I feel much better than I have in years. I am more alert and active. I feel well.

It is an absolute joy to not have to count calories or exercise portion control!

I am acutely aware, however, that I have to have it burnt into my brain that this is NOT a diet. This is my long term health. I could so easily slip back. I have to really get my head around that. It is certainly helping that I am eating well.

Husband is doing it too - but he is not being as strict with himself as I am - he doesn't have to. He is maintaining a steady 9kg loss since February and is benefiting from it. He has the odd glass of wine with a meal and has the odd dessert, which is fine.
Loving life in France (53 - Mayenne)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #7237 on: 11 May, 2021, 04:05:05 pm »
I signed up with Noom for the 2 week free trial and life happened so didn’t get to try it out. Then being the idiot I am it automatically took my money and after a couple of attempts I’ve started again this week. I need to keep t it if only because I’ve paid for the year. I do need to lose weight though and with Dr Beardy (Mrs) having lost 30% of her body weight in the last year, the pressure is on me to do the same. And just think how much easier running will be. I might even get down to bicycle weight.  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #7238 on: 11 May, 2021, 05:45:46 pm »
I've lost weight, I've gained weight, kept it off for a bit, and slowly put it back on. I could never get the same diet to work twice. However I do get on with long fasts, 2-4 day water only fasts. My wife banned me from them as she though it was important our daughter sees us eating all together, but my snoring has got worse, so I've got carte blanche to give fasting a real crack (after next weeks holiday that is).

From my own experiences, I'm a firm believer in fasting to lower insulin levels, and the 2 compartment model https://www.dietdoctor.com/obesity-solving-two-compartment-problem

« Reply #7239 on: 18 May, 2021, 05:42:47 pm »
Wondering why I'm turning into Mr Pudgy, the IT worker.

Look down at wastebasket. Full of chocolate and sweetie wrappers.

Oh.
That would be why.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7240 on: 19 May, 2021, 08:28:26 am »
Good effort, that, Waffles! And good luck beardy!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #7241 on: 19 May, 2021, 08:59:02 am »
I’ve had something of an epiphany this morning. Being signed up to a fancy food tracking service and tracking your meals doesn’t automatically cause weight loss. I think you’re also supposed to reduce the amount you eat and, well, avoid eating some of the crap  :facepalm:

Ok, I had a bad day on the food yesterday, not helped by Sarah proclaiming ‘let’s have pizza’ just as I was preparing to begin cooking dinner. I COULD have said no of course, but pizza is one weakness I really struggle with. It’s almost as important as BEER.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #7242 on: 20 May, 2021, 10:46:53 am »
Good effort, that, Waffles! And good luck beardy!

Merci! According the the scales, first thing this morning, I have now lost a total of 29kg since the middle of January. Hurrah! Chuffed to bits.  Himself is now maintaining a steady loss of 9kg since February, which he is entirely happy about. I saw doc last week as part of my regular check ups and he is a very happy doc!
Loving life in France (53 - Mayenne)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7243 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:06:59 pm »
Beardy pizza got all the food groups if you make it right LOL

Anyway since getting the rowing machine, along with having some "fasting" days - read "don't everything you see, take it easy on that snacking" days. I have managed to drop 5kg in the last 2 months. Only 1kg off the "target" of being under 100kg by my birthday, so that might be possible. Though this mission is more to be generally more fitter not a weight weenie.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7244 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:15:25 pm »
I reached my target of 75kg this morning after my fastest ever 5k run.

I started properly food tracking at the end of October and have lost 20kg since then. I was already almost 20kg under my previous weight due to weight loss through Keto in 2019.

I now need to work out how much extra I can eat, and what, to stay at this weight.

Tonight’s celebration will be a Dönertasche which isn’t Keto but will be OK. Followed by Keto strawberry soufflé!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7245 on: 21 May, 2021, 12:25:43 pm »
Some more very impressive efforts there! Well done AH!

It crossed my mind earlier that this poem by A. A. Milne may (or may not) belong in here:

A bear, however hard he tries,
Grows tubby without exercise.
Our Teddy Bear is short and fat,
Which is not to be wondered at;
He gets what exercise he can
By falling off the ottoman,
But generally seems to lack
The energy to clamber back.

Now tubbiness is just the thing
Which gets a fellow wondering;
And Teddy worried lots about
The fact that he was rather stout.
He thought: "If only I were thin!
But how does anyone begin?"
He thought: "It really isn't fair
To grudge me exercise and air."

For many weeks he pressed in vain
His nose against the window-pane,
And envied those who walked about
Reducing their unwanted stout.
None of the people he could see
"Is quite" (he said) "as fat as me!"
Then with a still more moving sigh,
"I mean" (he said) "as fat as I!"

Now Teddy, as was only right,
Slept in the ottoman at night,
And with him crowded in as well
More animals than I can tell;
Not only these, but books and things,
Such as a kind relation brings -
Old tales of "Once upon a time",
And history retold in rhyme.

One night it happened that he took
A peep at an old picture-book,
Wherein he came across by chance
The picture of a King of France
(A stoutish man) and, down below,
These words: "King Louis So and So,
Nicknamed 'The Handsome!' " There he sat,
And (think of it) the man was fat!

Our bear rejoiced like anything
To read about this famous King,
Nicknamed the "Handsome." Not a doubt
The man was definitely stout.
Why then, a bear (for all his tub)
Might yet be named "The Handsome Cub!"

"Might yet be named." Or did he mean
That years ago he "might have been"?
For now he felt a slight misgiving:
"Is Louis So and So still living?
Fashions in beauty have a way
Of altering from day to day.
Is 'Handsome Louis' with us yet?
Unfortunately I forget."

Next morning (nose to window-pane)
The doubt occurred to him again.
One question hammered in his head:
"Is he alive or is he dead?"
Thus, nose to pane, he pondered; but
The lattice window, loosely shut,
Swung open. With one startled "Oh!"
Our Teddy disappeared below.

There happened to be passing by
A plump man with a twinkling eye,
Who, seeing Teddy in the street,
Raised him politely on his feet,
And murmured kindly in his ear
Soft words of comfort and of cheer:
"Well, well!" "Allow me!" "Not at all."
"Tut-tut!" A very nasty fall."

Our Teddy answered not a word;
It's doubtful if he even heard.
Our bear could only look and look:
The stout man in the picture-book!
That "handsome" King - could this be he,
This man of adiposity?
"Impossible," he thought. "But still,
No harm in asking. Yes, I will!"

"Are you," he said, "by any chance
His Majesty the King of France?"
The other answered, "I am that,"
Bowed stiffly, and removed his hat;
Then said, "Excuse me," with an air
"But is it Mr. Edward Bear?"
And Teddy, bending very low,
Replied politely, "Even so!"

They stood beneath the window there,
The King and Mr. Edward Bear,
And, handsome, if a trifle fat,
Talked carelessly of this and that ...
Then said His Majesty, "Well, well,
I must get on," and rang the bell.
"Your bear, I think," he smiled. "Good-day!"
And turned, and went upon his way.

A bear, however hard he tries,
Grows tubby without exercise.
Our Teddy Bear is short and fat,
Which is not to be wondered at.
But do you think it worries him
To know that he is far from slim?
No, just the other way about -
He's proud of being short and stout.

Source: https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/teddy-bear-by-aa-milne

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7246 on: 21 May, 2021, 07:51:02 pm »
Thank you for posting that, Peter.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #7247 on: 08 June, 2021, 03:17:48 pm »
I completely ignored any dieting, did very little exercise from January onwards. Didn't go near the scales for months as I knew I wouldn't like what I saw.

Call it lockdown syndrome, fatigue, mild depression, whatever excuse fits. Anyway the unsurprising net result is weight gain and a massive waistline.

Finally after five months ignoring the problem I am starting to do something about it. Today I'm on a water fast, and I will head back to my trusty 5:2 intermittent fasting which has worked for me in the past, plus a monthly water fast for 36 hours.

Fingers crossed I ought to start seeing results within a couple of months or so.
Embrace your inner Fred.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7248 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:51:22 am »
I managed the not very strict target today, be under 100kg before my birthday, so a stone in 3 months or thereabouts. Though I needed the help of having a poop before the weigh in :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7249 on: 15 June, 2021, 08:31:17 am »
I managed the not very strict target today, be under 100kg before my birthday, so a stone in 3 months or thereabouts. Though I needed the help of having a poop before the weigh in :)

Many happy returns - not that I want you to vom on your birthday!

I have the same target - 100kg by my birthday.  I’ve got 1kg and 11 days to go but - but at my current rate of weight loss it will be touch and go.