Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252705 times)

annie

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #375 on: 14 January, 2009, 08:02:46 pm »
I am not too worried about my weight on a week to week basis.  I shall look more towards a monthly figure.  I was three pounds heavier after my ride on Sunday but that had all but gone today. 

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #376 on: 15 January, 2009, 12:02:03 am »
Buggrit!  Only 1 lb off in the first week.  I need to get out on the bike each day.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #377 on: 15 January, 2009, 01:43:27 am »
Better than me, 0.0kg off for the first week, I need to find one of my bikes and learn to ride again.  :-[
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #378 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:03:02 am »
I am not too worried about my weight on a week to week basis.  I shall look more towards a monthly figure.  I was three pounds heavier after my ride on Sunday but that had all but gone today. 

That's partly why the "planner" for recording the weights each week is arranged so (it was jwo's original layout I think). It makes it easier to compare your weight with your weight a month previous.

It's why it's important to weigh yourself on the same day of the week or under the same circumstances each week. One would get wildly different weights when measured very dehydrated after a long run without enough water, and 2 hours after that when they've stuffed themselves with food and drank 5 pints of water to try and rehydrate.

I play 5-a-side on a Tuesday night and then go to the pub and have 2 pints. Never more and we rarely miss a week. I've always eaten before I go play 5-a-side and I don't eat afterwards. This makes Wednesday morning a perfect time to weigh myself. Get up, go to the toilet, wash hands and get on the scales.

As you say, just watch the general trend and adjust food/exercise/etc appropriately.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #379 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:47:34 pm »
I'm starting to increase the exercise bit after laying off for a while to help with knee rehabilitation.

I joined a new gym yesterday, because work have withdrawn the subsidised gym membership we had.  Given I was the only person using it, it was very poor vfm.

I'm now paying 30/month instead of 5/month, to use the gym on the Science Park.  It's much more convenient to get to, and the showers are /much/ nicer than the ones at work.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #380 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:01:19 pm »
Lost 3.5 lbs this week, I guess the turbo pain is working.

« Reply #381 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:13:07 pm »
An hour of badminton yesterday but one player didn't turn up so we had to play 2 vs 1 and take it in turns being the single player. It's not hard to pick out when I was playing against two people from the HR trace:-

About to go to the evil treadmill in the basement and hopefully complete a mere 20 minutes.

inc

« Reply #382 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:15:06 pm »

I doubt it was just the turbo, you would need to do about 24 hours at 200-250 Watts to burn 3.5 lbs of fat.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #383 on: 16 January, 2009, 04:18:05 pm »

I draw a line graph with a spreadsheet and watch it going generally downwards
Week to week or whatever is no big deal

inc

« Reply #384 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:29:57 pm »
Has anyone noticed a reduction in their cycling performance while on a reduced calorie intake

« Reply #385 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »
Has anyone noticed a reduction in their cycling performance while on a reduced calorie intake

Can't tell. My reduced performance is due to being unfit having not been on the bike for 2 months whilst abroad. I doubt it's the 500 to 800 kcal/day deficit.

I think the biggest thing I've lost is my fat metabolism. My commute times are roughly the same as they were at this time last year but anything over a couple of hours and I'll slow right down. Only 2 weeks to fix it until a 200km Audax. :)

(I won't be thinking about calorie deficits on the Audax itself although I doubt I'll eat 3500kcal worth of food on the way round.)

Chris S

« Reply #386 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:38:48 pm »

No.

Could be because a lot of my riding in recent years has been Audax/Long Distance, so my body has become quite good at burning fat on fewer carbs.

Do you ride hard, and close to your lactate threshold? If so, you'll deplete your Glycogen stores faster and if you are running a caloric deficit, it will take longer to replenish them unless you take steps to encourage it by eating a good, carb and protein rich meal soon after you finish cycling.

Avoid alcohol. Good performance on a limited calorie budget requires the full cooperation of your liver, so one should avoid pissing it off by partying all weekend  ;).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #387 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:43:01 pm »

Always.
I gave up the idea of trying to lose weight during any season of active cycling.

Now I've just given up the idea of trying to lose weight, full stop.
My scales are dying of neglect in a wardrobe...

Chris S

« Reply #388 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:46:48 pm »
Hehe  ;D

Me: "No"
Helly: "Always"

Clearly, people vary! Inc, your question implies you are finding a drop in performance?

« Reply #389 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:49:21 pm »
I gave up the idea of trying to lose weight during any season of active cycling.

I managed to lose 14kg in 12 months whilst doing 6500km including 25 Audax points if you include the 6 x 100km rides (they were on fixed so they did count for the FWC).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #390 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »
My aerobic capacity is so low (lowest of all colleagues on my Sports Medicine course), I always rode fairly close to my lactate threshold. To ride any slower would leave me out of time on Audax rides. I was famed for my heavy breathing...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #391 on: 18 January, 2009, 07:10:41 pm »

I doubt it was just the turbo, you would need to do about 24 hours at 200-250 Watts to burn 3.5 lbs of fat.
[/quot

How utterly depressing!  I guess the diminishing quantity of calorific Christmas goodies stiil about  the house must have something to do with it then.

I just have to finish off some lovely vegan choccies then I should be back on the straight and narrow.  O:-)

inc

« Reply #392 on: 18 January, 2009, 07:13:06 pm »

Clearly, people vary! Inc, your question implies you are finding a drop in performance?

I don't think so, not at the level I ride at. I went out yesterday and it was really hard with an increasing headwind towards the finish. Today I didn't want to go out today but it was such a nice day and I am busy all this coming week so felt I should go out but legs felt a little heavy although a/s was similar for same distance.

Chris S

« Reply #393 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:59:32 am »
Wow - big drop in weight this week. Obviously, 4x40km/day of hilly commuting in Cornwall last week shifted some lard!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #394 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:18:02 am »
Damn!  Still rising, but not as bad as i'd feared, though I'm the heaviest I've been this year.  Under stress, so eating :-[ 

I need to get back on the bike for so many reasons! 
Getting there...

« Reply #395 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:21:21 am »
Another small reduction for me so I guess the occasional bike ride with regular football is having an effect.
I wish that I wasn't hungry all the time though.
I was weak yesterday- I bought a small bar of G&B's milk chocolate. It was finished by the time I got home.

« Reply #396 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:23:19 am »
Still in my usual initial 4-week plateau having just started again after 2 months off. Feel much better though, and far less sluggish on the bike.

annie

« Reply #397 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:28:31 am »
My weight loss is not as dramatic as I thought, probably because I started to eat yesterday and haven't done anything apart from be ill since last Friday.  I don't have access to my usual scales as they are at the LBS.  I will look at the longer term weight loss.

I also think my body went into starvation mode and the majority of the weight I lost at the start of the week was purely dehydration and fluids, these have now been replaced.

« Reply #398 on: 21 January, 2009, 12:28:06 pm »
Another small drop, which is better than a small gain!

S

PS -- any chance of the weight loss thread itself being made sticky, please?  At this rate it will vanish from page 1 of this board very soon.  Thanks
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #399 on: 21 January, 2009, 01:14:35 pm »
I'm aiming to lose 27 kg by december to get down :o to 100kg. That's a lb a week, or 500 calories shortfall a day.

Note to self. Get back on the bike, and stop eating pies  :thumbsup: