Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252398 times)

border-rider

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #925 on: 12 February, 2010, 01:11:28 pm »
I've just dug out a pair of jeans I've not fitted into since 2006.

They fit...just.

Little things like that are a great encouragement :)

simonp

« Reply #926 on: 13 February, 2010, 10:41:50 am »
Vanity has its uses.

I'm now pretty much at my target weight, having lost 5kg over 3 months.

border-rider

« Reply #927 on: 13 February, 2010, 09:41:21 pm »
I'm just at my first target weight, having lost 10 kg.  Still enough flab to comfortably set a new target :)

simonp

« Reply #928 on: 13 February, 2010, 09:44:03 pm »
Well, I've been lighter.  I'm 70.5kg as of this morning.  Post-LEL I was 67kg.  I think I can still lose more fat.  The question is, should I?

« Reply #929 on: 13 February, 2010, 10:03:20 pm »

simonp

« Reply #930 on: 13 February, 2010, 10:23:06 pm »
Hmm, could be interesting.  I'm about the same weight as a typical pro cyclist, but I'm not quite as lean yet.

Chris S

« Reply #931 on: 14 February, 2010, 01:34:59 pm »
Something we haven't mentioned is the extra amount of energy used this time of year, just keeping warm.

Doing a 200km audax keeps me outside for the best part of ten hours. Ten hours outside in temperatures close to freezing must surely be a challenge to the (already challenged) constitution. I wonder how much energy is used on a winter ride compared to a summer one - 10% more, 20%?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #932 on: 14 February, 2010, 05:37:22 pm »
Interesting question ...
Certainly, if you feel cold at times, then you're probably using a lot of calories to keep warm. [from an experiential viewpoint, this certainly explains why the cold weather rides _seem_ harder].
HOWEVER on hot days you use a lot of calories to keep _cool_ !

So I don't think it's a clear win.

Also, it would be more constructive to use your energy to fuel your muscles (i.e. you'd get some more training benefit). Perhaps try wearing heavier warmer clothes? :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #933 on: 14 February, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »
Perhaps try wearing heavier warmer clothes? :P

No. Absolutely no.

Inuit saying: "Sweat, you die."

OK, so we aren't messing about in -40C (except perhaps those north of Doncaster) and we aren't going to die, but the same principle holds true. I feel much colder sometimes wearing more layers (but sweating) compared to, for example, today when I rode for ninety minutes wearing a T-shirt and a waterproof with an outside temperature of 4C.

Less clothing == Less sweat == warmer, I reckon.

But even after all that - it must cost the body more to maintain optimum conditions when it's 2C compared to 20C.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #934 on: 14 February, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »
But even after all that - it must cost the body more to maintain optimum conditions when it's 2C compared to 20C.
Yes; the 'perfect cycling temperature" would also require the least energy. I imagine a few velodromes have been precisely setup for Perfect Hour Record Temperature.

But how many summer rides do you do without sweating?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #935 on: 14 February, 2010, 06:56:05 pm »
Producing sweat and creating heat are different things.

Converting energy from one form (sugar) to another form (heat) is one thing - using energy (sugar) to drive a metabolic process (sweating) is another.

Which uses the most energy? Dunno - but I bet it's the heat one, not the sweat one :).

« Reply #936 on: 14 February, 2010, 07:02:32 pm »
Chaps, this is a weight loss discussion thread. Sweating is not  a good way to lose weight.

Chris S

« Reply #937 on: 14 February, 2010, 07:06:52 pm »
Chaps, this is a weight loss discussion thread. Sweating is not  a good way to lose weight.

We're not talking about sweat per se, we're talking about the energy used to make it. Highly pertinent to weight loss. So nyaaah...  :D

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #938 on: 14 February, 2010, 07:11:25 pm »
Well, I think we've established that

weight loss = calories burned - calories eaten;

what are we going to discuss for the next 63 pages? :)

[Black bin bags worked for Tony Adams ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #939 on: 16 February, 2010, 02:56:26 pm »

Are you sure? When cycling the human body is roughly 25% efficient, a large chunk of energy is wasted in generating heat. The body uses more energy (via sweating and other processes) to cool the body. Exercising in cold conditions may mean less energy is required to keep the body from overheating.

Bah, just read mattc's post saying pretty much the same thing.

Efficiency may be an important discussion for Audaxing and weight loss, but isn't a factor for hour attempts.

The air in a velodrome is heated for an hour record to reduce drag (warmer air offers less resistance). Human body efficiency isn't a concern for an hour record as efficiency doesn't affect the maximum sustainable power output. Maximum sustainable power should be the same regardless of temperature (within reasonable bounds), if it's not then the drop in maximum sustainable power should be less than the benefit gained from lower drag otherwise they simply wouldn't heat the velodromes for hour records. And for an hour record, maximum sustainable power is all that matters; given the choice of 500W at 25% efficiency or 505W at 23% efficiency you know which one an athlete would pick if he wanted to break the hour record...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #940 on: 16 February, 2010, 03:00:35 pm »
On Saturday I think I wasn't that far from hypothermia.  Probably was expending energy to keep warm; wasn't cycling all that hard.

Chris S

« Reply #941 on: 16 February, 2010, 03:09:21 pm »
So why are winter rides harder then?

I find a 10 hour ride at 2c much harder than at 20c. And if you say it's because of air density, I won't believe you - I don't go fast enough for that to be a factor  ;D.

simonp

« Reply #942 on: 16 February, 2010, 03:11:04 pm »
More layers of clothing => more wind resistance is one possibility.  Jackets in particular.

« Reply #943 on: 16 February, 2010, 03:15:36 pm »
More layers of clothing => more wind resistance is one possibility.  Jackets in particular.

More weight too. Muscles constricted by leggings.

« Reply #944 on: 16 February, 2010, 04:13:26 pm »

I find a 10 hour ride at 2c much harder than at 20c. And if you say it's because of air density, I won't believe you - I don't go fast enough for that to be a factor  ;D.

As others have suggested, extra clothing means extra weight and extra resistance. Plus you need to warm yourself up after being stopped for any length of time.

I'd guess a plot of 'ease of ride vs temperature' would look like a bell curve, and that the optimum lies somewhere between 2oC and 20oC and probably closer to 2oC than 20oC.

Chris S

« Reply #945 on: 16 February, 2010, 04:25:19 pm »
Hmm... not convinced. :)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #946 on: 16 February, 2010, 04:46:53 pm »

As others have suggested, extra clothing means extra weight and extra resistance. Plus you need to warm yourself up after being stopped for any length of time.

I'd guess a plot of 'ease of ride vs temperature' would look like a bell curve, and that the optimum lies somewhere between 2oC and 20oC and probably closer to 2oC than 20oC.
For you maybe! I'd put it somewhere in the teens. :)

For any rider, it's probably about the temperature at which you take arm-warmers off. You also want a min-temp for the ride that isn't low enough to carry loads of clothes with you. Ideally!

Wind-chill plays a big factor. Of course wind costs you time anyway, but I find wind-chill makes it more difficult to get a nice stable temperature, as it varies so quickly through the day.

[that's a good geek Hour Record Fact about the warm velodromes.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #947 on: 16 February, 2010, 04:52:14 pm »
Hmm... not convinced. :)

A ride at -20oC is a lot harder than one at 2oC. Ice excepted (please no-one start that crap again).

A ride at 20oC is going to feel a lot easier than the same one at 40oC.

You can visualise what the graph looks like. Given it's rising on the left hand side and falling on the right hand side it's got to plateau at some point between the two.

I don't think there's much point arguing about an exact figure given the subjective nature of 'ease of ride', individuals are vastly different. I can cope with vast ranges of temperatures with either shorts/ss-jersey (riding South towards Eskdalemuir in the maelstrom) and rides like the Severn Across where I didn't add or remove a layer during the entire ride despite it going from near freezing to 15oC and back down to near freezing over the 24 hours; my leggings, leg warmers, base layer, long sleeve jersey and jacket stayed on the entire time (I seem to remember you commenting about this at Stow-In-The-Wold).

« Reply #948 on: 17 February, 2010, 08:32:18 am »
Well, despite being on new medication which (among other unpleasant side effects) makes me nauseous whenever my stomach is empty, forcing me to eat even more frequently than I did before, I have shed a kilo.
Maybe it's also boosting my metabolism? Result!

border-rider

« Reply #949 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:01:27 am »
Ach !

The scales have broke.

They were fine last time I used them; got on them today and found them very variable - 3 consecutive weighs varying by 2 kg - and when I picked them up they rattled and bits of plastic fell out.  Not good.

I've just taken them apart, and the 4 pads that sit between the top plate and the pressure transducers have disintegrated.  I suspect it's just age.

Anyway, new ones just ordered, should be here in time for Wednesday.  I wonder if they'll make a difference...I bet that most bathroom scales are not inherently accurate, even if they're pretty self-consistent.